July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Well, I checked with the post office this morning and they have no idea where my passport is. They can't track it and it hasn't shown up anywhere since they accepted it from the passport office on September 18th! So, I called the passport office and they are launching an investigation into where it is in the postal system but in the meantime they have had to cancel its validity since it has been missing for 10 days now. I have had to file a DS-86 'non-receipt of passport' form, and when they receive that they will re-issue me another passport. So, more waiting and praying I don't have an emergency back in Canada. And if you go to the VJ passport thread in the citizenship forum there is someone there whose citizenship certificate has also gone missing in the US postal system and they can't find it. The USPS seems to have a serious problem with failure to deliver identity sensitive documents.

:(

And the bolded bit is pretty scary.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Kathryn, did they take your 10 year GC at the citizenship interview, is that why you cannot go back to Canada (or I suppose, get back in here).

Of all things to go missing, why can't it ever be bills? Bills always seem to make it and never get lost, don't they

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

At the USA citizenship oath ceremony, they do take back ur Greencard!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes, Jill, they take your green card at the Citizenship ceremony and once you are a US citizen you are not allowed to re-enter the US on the passport of another country. While I have my Canadian passport and can travel to Canada, I cannot use my Canadian passport to re-enter the US as the US requires their citizens only to use a US passport. The US does not technically recognize citizenship in other countries, but because they can't do anything about it they basically turn a blind eye. To return to the US I need either a green card - for which I am no longer eligible - or my US passport.

I hear you about bills. I think they should mail back passports as junk mail - that never seems to go missing! :D

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

omg i'm so mad.

Yes, this is apartment stuff!

As I mentioned in off topic, we stayed up late last night so slept in until 9:30, which is apparently not allowed here.

The maintenance twit came by as they want to turn off the outside water tap and the turn off for one of them is apparently in this apartment (I knew they were coming today - they sent a note a couple of weeks ago).

Anyway, knock at door, twit tries to get in and can't as we always keep the chain on now since he barged in twice before. So we get up, just sitting here, patio door open, we are obviously 'in' now.

Just now one of the office ladies (I like her) slips a note under our door, it reads:

Our staff tried to gain access to your unit to shut off the outside water but failed to do so because your chain lock was fastened.

Therefore they will enter on September-30-09 if your chain lock is still in place they will remove it.

So I scurry to the patio doors and catch the lady as she was leaving. I said they can come anytime today, I told her he was running around outside yelling "the chain lock is on in that one, the chain lock is on in that one". I also told her he had already barged in twice, hence the chain lock. I asked her if they would REALLY remove it, she said she didn't know.

OMG i'm so angry, what a bunch of idiots!!

I will be writing her a letter back and complaining to whomever I can complain to.

Timeline

At my old apt, they did the same thing.... if a chain lock was in place, they had the right to remove it to gain access to your unit.... I was never usually home when they came by to fix stuff or show my apt when I was moving out, but usually they just knock once and let themselves in.... It sucks, but to me that was just apt life (i.e. they have the right to come inside your apt when they give you notice, etc.)

I do remember one time they showed my apt without giving me notice, I was at work and when I came home realized they showed it, I was annoyed as I always hid my jewlery box, meds, etc. when there would be people inside.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
At my old apt, they did the same thing.... if a chain lock was in place, they had the right to remove it to gain access to your unit.... I was never usually home when they came by to fix stuff or show my apt when I was moving out, but usually they just knock once and let themselves in.... It sucks, but to me that was just apt life (i.e. they have the right to come inside your apt when they give you notice, etc.)

I do remember one time they showed my apt without giving me notice, I was at work and when I came home realized they showed it, I was annoyed as I always hid my jewlery box, meds, etc. when there would be people inside.

Yes, you are right, they do have the right to come come inside when they give you notice (which they did). The thing is, I expect people to act with some intelligence. Obviously if the chain lock is on we are here. We were not standing at the door barring the twit entry.

As I explained to the woman who was here - it may be the place where he works, but this is where we live. There was no need to send me a threatening letter, if I had barred him entry for a week I could understand that. I do not want maintenance twit coming in here when I am in bed. We deserve SOME privacy.

I'm still fuming.

Timeline

So instead of writing a letter I called the office and spoke with the Manager.

She said that they allow tenants to put chain locks on the door but they can be removed if need be because it could be a fire hazard. I did not say 'by all means if there is a fire feel free to cut the chain lock'.

I had a conversation with her about how I was in bed and I did not want someone barging in - she said she completely understands. She also said that if we receive a maintenance notice and I want to specify a time - she will work with that. I'm mad, but i'm not unreasonable, as I said to her I know this is an apartment and I know that there is maintenance that has to take place, I just expect people to do it with some intelligence.

So he will either be back this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon - which is just fine.

Oh and she told me she still has us on the list for a larger apartment lol - which is rather hilarious, when this lease is up January 31st we are soooo out of here.

It's so creepy that maintenance guy would do that!

I used to hate when my landlords would go into the apartment when we weren't home. Sure, they have a right to (as long as they inform you beforehand) but still...gives me the willies!

I'm so glad we're renting a house now, and the only time my landlords have had to come in is when they installed a new thermostat, or their daughter took care of the furballs :lol:

They totally don't act like the landlords...they act like my next door neighbour. Probably because they are! :D

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline
I'm think I should start a support group for wives with crazy mother in laws. :lol:

I really do.

Seriously maybe you should.

Yes, I think you would have a lot of members :whistle:

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my mom had a crazy mother in law... she wasn't a great grandma either.. at least not to us.. she had her favourite grand kids and she let us all know it...

I lucked out with a fantastic mother in law.. I just wish she could have stayed with us longer... :(

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

So there have been alot of apartment vents as of late.... so here is my own :lol:

Our downstairs neighbor is normally a mom and her 14 yr old daughter.... plus their yappy dog. Fine, they are usually quiet besides the damn dog! Anyway, since a few months ago her grown son, his wife, their 3 year old, and newborn baby have moved in.... So that's 6 people in a small, 2 bedroom apartment :wacko: They are SO LOUD all the time, I guess with that many people in such closed quarters will do that. The toddler runs up and down the hall, shrieking and yelling all the time (this actually shakes the pictures on the wall at times) and the newborn screams alot too. I'm sure the landlord has no clue all these people now live there, as for the first 8 months or so it was just the mom and daughter. So besides the noise factor, there is also the fact that we split the water bill down the middle, only one bill per duplex and we each pay half. So it used to be pretty fair, like 30 or so bucks per month. Ever since the entire family moved in, it's gone up nearly double, which isn't fair because we're using the same amount of water as always, but downstairs is using a ton more because of all the new inhabitants. I don't really want to "squeal" on them, but it's really not fair at all..... If I tell the landlord, they'll know it was me and I don't like to get on people's bad side....

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.