July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So when we moved in here, as soon as we saw the place I said - this is too small - this 850 sq ft apartment that looks much smaller.

After we had been here about 5 days I called the manager. I asked her if there were any larger apartments available as we had noticed one looked empty (in fact it is the apartment we lived in like 9 years ago) - that faces the view of the city.

She told me no - it is not empty, it is reserved for the company 'big wigs' and that she did not have any 2 bedroom apartments with a view available, in fact she had no bigger apartments available.

I said this place is really too small - she said, well, I can put you on a waiting list, I said, how long is that waiting list? She said we were 5th, but we might not have to wait that long as people changed their minds about moving sometimes.

So I have been thinking about this. You can tell from the lack of cars in the parking lot that this place is not full. So I set up an email account and wrote asking about vacancies.

The first thing I noticed from the list, based on our rent is that she rented us the 'compact' apartment which is 750 sq ft not 850 - now that was verbal, so even if I give her the benefit of the doubt on that - there are 2 bedroom apartments in 3 different sizes available right now - including one that faces the city!!!!!

What a lying witch!!

That's crazy! You'd assume the larger apartments are more expensive though, so why would they lie and say no to making more money/renting out a more expensive place? That's not smart on their part.

Are you gonna confront them!? I would LOL

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I would too, I'd print it off, walk up to her and go...oh its not available huh? And then remind them of all the ####### you are going through with the water and that you are not impressed.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I would too, I'd print it off, walk up to her and go...oh its not available huh? And then remind them of all the ####### you are going through with the water and that you are not impressed.

I'm really tempted to do that, but then I think, well we will just do our time (another 4.5 months) and get out of here!

Yes, I don't understand why they don't want to collect a higher rent either! The only thing I can think of is that probably very few people would want an apartment this small - so it's probably harder to rent out?

Timeline

Quite possibly. Hmm maybe keep the email and then at the end of the time if she should ask why you aren't thinking of renewing the lease, show it to her and say you can't stay with a sup who lies to her tenants and obviously doesn't care about their happiness with the lodgings.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline
Quite possibly. Hmm maybe keep the email and then at the end of the time if she should ask why you aren't thinking of renewing the lease, show it to her and say you can't stay with a sup who lies to her tenants and obviously doesn't care about their happiness with the lodgings.

:thumbs:

Yes. As the whole 'I will put you on a waiting list' conversation happened on the phone, I thought I would email her Monday to see if anything has come up - so I have it in writing.

Timeline

Yes. As the whole 'I will put you on a waiting list' conversation happened on the phone, I thought I would email her Monday to see if anything has come up - so I have it in writing.

That will be awesome if she still says no.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

That will be awesome if she still says no.

Yeah :lol:

Oh and I took a look at the notes I was making when I spoke to her originally and she did quote 750 sq ft - so I will subtract that from my vent, the rest still stands!

Timeline

So (surprise!) - we got another note today.

"Please take note that our staff will enter your unit on Tuesday, September 29/09 to shut off the outside water"

I have no idea what this means - why would they enter our apartment to shut off the outside water?? Does this mean there will be no water for several hours - again - yes of course it does.

I have emailed her to find out what the hell they are talking about.

Timeline

"Please take note that our staff will enter your unit on Tuesday, September 29/09 to shut off the outside water"

I have no idea what this means - why would they enter our apartment to shut off the outside water?? Does this mean there will be no water for several hours - again - yes of course it does.

This is her reply (she really needs some lessons on how to format an email)

-----Ori this is correct-valves are located inner units ginal Message-----

So I wrote back to ask her exactly where the valve is. This is a two bedroom place and the second room we have for storage of ALL our totes etc, which are not unpacked, obviously - so it might require some shifting - no, will require, if it is in that room

Frankly I am completely fed up with this place.

Timeline

This is her reply (she really needs some lessons on how to format an email)

-----Ori this is correct-valves are located inner units ginal Message-----

So I wrote back to ask her exactly where the valve is. This is a two bedroom place and the second room we have for storage of ALL our totes etc, which are not unpacked, obviously - so it might require some shifting - no, will require, if it is in that room

Frankly I am completely fed up with this place.

I would be peeved too! If your water comes out of your rent I would almost be tempted to ask what kind of compensation will be coming for all this inconvienience.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline
I would be peeved too! If your water comes out of your rent I would almost be tempted to ask what kind of compensation will be coming for all this inconvienience.

Definately will be asking for compensation. I'm so mad right now. Today is augering day. I can hear the augers in the pipes. So I am sitting here minding my own business and there is a quick knock at the door. Now we have our computers in the living room - as I have mentioned, this place is small, so it's not like I had to trot across the expanses to get to the door.

Before I can get to the door the maintenance man barges in. Oh hi, i'm here to check your water pressure. I was so mad I don't know if I even said anything, I was just standing there. The cat was in the room too and she took off, I didn't see where she went.

So he goes in to the kitchen, turns the water on, asks me if I have heard the auger but no gurgling - I just shake my head, he asks me to leave the water on for 5 minutes, I nod, he says something else and I just shake my head again.

Definately will be asking for compensation. I'm so mad right now. Today is augering day. I can hear the augers in the pipes. So I am sitting here minding my own business and there is a quick knock at the door. Now we have our computers in the living room - as I have mentioned, this place is small, so it's not like I had to trot across the expanses to get to the door.

Before I can get to the door the maintenance man barges in. Oh hi, i'm here to check your water pressure. I was so mad I don't know if I even said anything, I was just standing there. The cat was in the room too and she took off, I didn't see where she went.

So he goes in to the kitchen, turns the water on, asks me if I have heard the auger but no gurgling - I just shake my head, he asks me to leave the water on for 5 minutes, I nod, he says something else and I just shake my head again.

This is getting SO ridiculous!! Seriously...I'd be looking for a new place. What kind of lease do you have? There should be some type of clause in it that says you can break it for days on end of construction, lack of water, and idiotic emails from the landlord. :lol: Sorry, I'm not laughing at you trailmix...I'm sure you feel like crying. Is there a rentalsman in the province? You might try contacting them!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
This is getting SO ridiculous!! Seriously...I'd be looking for a new place. What kind of lease do you have? There should be some type of clause in it that says you can break it for days on end of construction, lack of water, and idiotic emails from the landlord. :lol: Sorry, I'm not laughing at you trailmix...I'm sure you feel like crying. Is there a rentalsman in the province? You might try contacting them!

Basically here there are two methods to resolve stuff like this - mediation, when you can't mediate yourselves and court. I know this as I have been looking at it all morning :lol:

I have also found that we probably have grounds to terminate the lease at this point - there is a 'peaceful enjoyment' stipulation in the legislation - which we are obviously not getting.

However! Even though I am mad, our plan is to buy a place in January - so if we go apt. hunting now, what is to say we can find a place that will do a 6 month lease and even if we do that puts the house plan another 2 months down the road.

So realistically we will have to stay here until January. I am just waiting to send her a complaint email - being the nice person that I am I decided to give it a few hours so I can calm down and be....slightly polite. :hehe:

Timeline

Trailmix.. i cannot believe your tale :( Bah!! I mean I believe you but HOLY slumlord! :( You know what gets me... these landlords leave this stuff till the last possible second and put bandaids on issues until it all goes bezerk and they have to do massive work.

Our new place.. the one we moved into in July? Our toilet is sinking in the floor.. and has been leaking for a LONG time.. the water put a foot hole in our ceiling in the kitchen and now everytime we flush the toilet on the 2nd floor the water trickles into a bucket sitting on top of our kitchen cabinets. :(

We called the management company to ask AgAIN what they were going to do about it.. they told my hubby to CALL the contractors.. plumbers and tile people and see what they were going to do about it.. UH.. LADY YOU are the management company.. this is what you get PAID to do.. not OUR job to line up the contractors... :angry:

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.