July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Have you read this board?! :huh:

Yes, I have. And I have taught intercultural communication in both the US and Canada; and I can tell you: Canadians do a much better work at multiculturalism. No doubt about it.

In fact, I name today "Hug a mexican and buy them a Starbucks" Day!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Have you read this board?! :huh:

Yes, I have. And I have taught intercultural communication in both the US and Canada; and I can tell you: Canadians do a much better work at multiculturalism. No doubt about it.

In fact, I name today "Hug a mexican and buy them a Starbucks" Day!!

:o no you didn't :o

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Why don't you go post in the OT forum? Seriously, stop bashing Canada in here. You're around a bunch of Canadians and it's not gonna fly.

Okay, so as long as I jump on the "Canada is great and America sucks" bandwagon, I'm okay here. God forbid anyone says anything negative about Canada! :o

Uhhh you're in the CANADA FORUM HELLLLOOOOOO

What do you expect. We love our own country. And disagree with what you are saying because most of us lived their our entire lives, not a few years like you. We know more about it's culture and diversity than you ever will

Yes, you're right. However, I know more about the U.S. than any of you and when I state something contrary to whatever it is some of you believe (about the U.S.), you fail to acknowledge it. But I suppose living in the U.S. a few years trumps my having lived there my entire life. :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
He's from Texas. They don't like diversity down there. :lol:

Idiot. :wacko:

Violation of TOS any one? The guy called me an idiot after I was clearly joking. Hence, the laughing emoticon?

I'm not an idiot.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Why don't you go post in the OT forum? Seriously, stop bashing Canada in here. You're around a bunch of Canadians and it's not gonna fly.

Okay, so as long as I jump on the "Canada is great and America sucks" bandwagon, I'm okay here. God forbid anyone says anything negative about Canada! :o

Uhhh you're in the CANADA FORUM HELLLLOOOOOO

What do you expect. We love our own country. And disagree with what you are saying because most of us lived their our entire lives, not a few years like you. We know more about it's culture and diversity than you ever will

Yes, you're right. However, I know more about the U.S. than any of you and when I state something contrary to whatever it is some of you believe (about the U.S.), you fail to acknowledge it. But I suppose living in the U.S. a few years trumps my having lived there my entire life. :whistle:

Next time I need to know the score I'll be sure to run to you.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Somewhere along the line, it got side tracked,lol But yes it that situation DPX, i would be frustrated too. Not sure how some one would not be concerned, esp when a loved one is involved! Criminals love those under ground parking places! Easy targets!!

As i stated before on here, a few yrsd ago, Calgary mandated that all taxi cab drivers speak english or french! huge uproar in the taxi cab world. Not sure what came out of it though

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I was watching some show can't remember what is was but they were talking about immagration in Canada how they are thinking that they will require ppl to be learn to speak either french or english since it is the official languages of Canada. Not sure if it will happen.

Anyways I understand your issue with the manager not being able to communicate in english properly, if your going to be in a possition that requires you to be out front working with ppl you should be able to comunicate well enough to do your job. And that wasn't the case for DPX. The guy in the parking garage could of been some sycko and someone could of been killed/kidnapped or what not and if that happened everyone would be wundering why nobody noticed him there or complained about it. Then on the news days later you find out tenents did complain and their complaints went unotice cause the manager didnt understand english well enough to do something. Anyways its frustrating.

Its happened before and will happen again.

THANK YOU!

That was the point of my vent. :thumbs:

I understood the point of your vent - but it's all in the wording don't you know.

Timeline

My husband has a lot of Mexicans that work for him. The problem with them learning English? They work two jobs, 7 days a week, probably 100 hours. If you want to work for them for a few hours so that they have the time to learn, let me know.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Stop the name calling - it isn't allowed, especially in the Canada Forum!

Mod hat off . . . about language and Canadian immigration . . If you immigrate to Canada through family sponsorship there is no requirement to know English or French upon your arrival. You are expected to enroll in language classes to learn one of those languages, however, and in many communities there are re-settlement organizations to assist new arrivals with finding and enrolling in those classes.

If you immigrate as a worker or as an independent then you are subject to the point system and you gain points for the varying degrees of fluency you have in reading, writing and speaking both English and French. You do need to have a working knowledge of either plus education and employment points to really meet the minimum point level to be considered for an interview. The interview will then determine how likely you are to adapt to life in Canada and award additional points based on the interviewer's appraisal. If you don't satisfy both the points and the interviewer your application to immigrate will be denied.

To become a Canadian citizen, however, you do need to demonstrate fluency in either English or French on both a written and a spoken exam. I dealt with immigrants who failed their citizenship exams solely because of the language requirements. They had been in Canada the requisite 3 years as a permanent resident but were in a community of their own language speakers and did not make the effort to practise either English or French. As citizenship was important to them, the first failure helped them to 'focus' more on learning the language and one of them at least passed the second attempt. (The other didn't and I don't know the final outcome there).

So, Canada does celebrate its diversity but it also recognizes that to thrive in Canada new immigrants need to acquire specific skills if they don't already have them, language being one of them.

I suspect, DeadPoolX, that your replacement manager was a relatively newly arrived family sponsored immigrant as it sounds like his language skills would not have been sufficient to enter on the 'points' based immigration. It does sound like it was a very bad management decision to leave him alone in charge under the circumstances.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I know the USA at the Naturalization interview one has to do an english written and spoken test! I'm not sure on how strict they actually are--because at my oath ceremony, another fellow that was beign naturalized had no clue what so ever on what they were instructing us to do,lol no clue,lol Each their own! I have better things to worry about if people can't speak English or french! I can barely Speak English! It is funny at the hospital when thewy find out I'm Canadian,they al ask if I speak french. i say I can barely Speak English,lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

dontcha dare say anything bad about timbits! :ranting:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

DeadpoolX, I feel what you are saying.

If you are in a position to serve the public, you better make sure you as well can speak the same language that the majority are speaking. It's common sense really. It isn't about "CONFORM NOW FOREIGNER!!", it is about doing a job effectively. That's all.

I don't know why everyone took it so personal. I'm surprised someone didn't whine to have the thread locked :D

In all honesty, had someone else posted the same complaint, they wouldn't have gotten the same flack you did. It's mainly because you are American in Canada and have in the past posted negatively (a bit) about Canada, so people are on the defense when you post about Canada. My 2 cents anyway....

But, as someone who can think objectively, I agree with you 100%. Dealing with public in an English speaking country = speak the language.

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.