MapleLeafBaby

FINANCIAL DEPRESSION :( CANADIAN TRANSITION TO US SYSTEM

11 posts in this topic

So as I am getting closer to the final stretch, we are starting to plan in more depth.... and i'm getting really depressed :((((

There are so many things I did not anticipate, would affect me or things I would lose.

First off, Ontario Health Care, that alone is killing me. I have pre-existing conditions that would put me in a high risk category... hence mucho $$$$!!!! to insure me on my fiances plan..haven't gotten a quote yet, but lets just say we are anticipating a mortgage type payment :( As well we do plan on having more children, but I have pre existing conditions from that... so we face increased costs....

Then I come to find out that the new car I just purchased and have a massive loan on (only two months old) may not be transferrable and I may have to refinance. I am currently dealing with the dealer as they were aware I was moving and even called the warranty co for me to ensure that coverage would still apply in the US. Why on earth would I buy a $70k car and finance it here, if I knew in 3 months I would have to pay out that loan?!?!??! It is only 1% finance.... imagine what I will get hit with if I try to get my fiance to get a loan in the US...maybe 10%?! :( I am waiting to hear back from dealer...worst case, i'm gonna force them to help me get it transferred to Volvo USA or take back the stinking car... I really hate legal matters, but i'm not taking the fall for this... their financial guy I dealt with a couple of months ago should have been aware that the Canadian loan he was about to give me, would not be good?!

Needless to say, not only am I facing not being able to afford to keep my car, but increased monthly costs of about $1000-$2000 more a month just to accomedate the transition :(

This is getting depressing. It's amazing the things we take for granted or fail to look into....

Sorry, had to vent somewhere :(

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So as I am getting closer to the final stretch, we are starting to plan in more depth.... and i'm getting really depressed :((((

There are so many things I did not anticipate, would affect me or things I would lose.

First off, Ontario Health Care, that alone is killing me. I have pre-existing conditions that would put me in a high risk category... hence mucho $$$$!!!! to insure me on my fiances plan..haven't gotten a quote yet, but lets just say we are anticipating a mortgage type payment :( As well we do plan on having more children, but I have pre existing conditions from that... so we face increased costs....

Then I come to find out that the new car I just purchased and have a massive loan on (only two months old) may not be transferrable and I may have to refinance. I am currently dealing with the dealer as they were aware I was moving and even called the warranty co for me to ensure that coverage would still apply in the US. Why on earth would I buy a $70k car and finance it here, if I knew in 3 months I would have to pay out that loan?!?!??! It is only 1% finance.... imagine what I will get hit with if I try to get my fiance to get a loan in the US...maybe 10%?! :( I am waiting to hear back from dealer...worst case, i'm gonna force them to help me get it transferred to Volvo USA or take back the stinking car... I really hate legal matters, but i'm not taking the fall for this... their financial guy I dealt with a couple of months ago should have been aware that the Canadian loan he was about to give me, would not be good?!

Needless to say, not only am I facing not being able to afford to keep my car, but increased monthly costs of about $1000-$2000 more a month just to accomedate the transition :(

This is getting depressing. It's amazing the things we take for granted or fail to look into....

I hear ya. Luckily my loan isnt that much so I can transfer it to my LoC but im still looking at about another year of payments due to the interest if I dont put some chunks to it occasionally. Not a huge deal but still a pain in the ####. Sorry to hear about your health too, that makes thigs a lot harder as well.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry Poprocks. :( When they say you're starting your life over with immigration, they really mean starting over. And 50% of the time, it doesn't feel like starting over for the better.

But definitely check with your husband's insurance first. When being placed on my husband's insurance they didn't need to know about any pre-existing conditions. It varies from provider to provider.

It's not even major stuff with the pre existing health stuff... the med co's out in the US are very rigid with their coverage. If you even remotely complained about something prior to inception of coverage... they consider this pre-existing... So I don't have major health issues, I just have a chronic back problem I deal with, with some other minor stuff... but their risk assessment of that, is an increase in premium for every little pre-existing thing you may have treated for in the past :(

That's the kicker... i'm in overall great health, but if you have any documented treatments for issues in the past, they potentially affect premium. Obviously we are insurable, it just might not be a great premium rate :(

As for the car...blah.... it's my fault... I really should have looked into it further.... but I trusted their feedback... it's my third Volvo and quite honestly, the current loan is manageable for me, it would be the increase of a few hundred a month that would not be the greatest news :( for me it becomes principle. I hate for a slimy dealer to make a deal in tight economic times like this and be more concerned with the sale than anything else. This truly shows a lack of knowledge on their part for the products they offer.

i'll wait till I hear back from them.... :angry:

ps.... MrsCat... thanks girl! good idea :star:

I just like to b**** sometimes... FEELS GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! :thumbs:

Edited by poprocks

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

Sometimes it really helps to just vent, especially when you have such awesome people to help support you :D

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Just a suggestion re health coverage. I too have a pre-existing condition and in order to be covered by my husband's plan I had to provide proof that I had insurance covering me up until I applied for his coverage or else I would have been excluded from health coverage for a year. I obtained a letter on letter head from my previous health insurer through my employer (they had no problems doing this) stating how long I had been covered and what it included, plus a print out of the Ontario Provincial health coverage from their website showing universal health coverage for hospitalization, doctor's visits, etc. My husband's insurer at the time was Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they accepted my documentation. When my husband's insurer changed to Cigna they also required a letter from Blue Cross/Blue Shield stating that my pre-existing condition had been covered. So, fore warned is fore armed. Visit your family doctor and have him or her print out copies of all of your documentation about your condition plus results from the last few years physicals, plus any hospitalization records that you have. I had to provide this type of evidence along with proof of previous insurance. My family doctor was very good about providing me with photocopies, so this is something you can do now before you move. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

As Kathryn says - there are ways around pre-existing conditions. proof of previous insurance is one...I worked for an insurance company in group for many years. A life event, such as marriage and the spouse is added automatically usually grandfathers pre-existing conditions. I personally have some cysty, ovarian stuff and have for years. No one at my husband's company required me to fill out a medical form when joining his plan, so you could be pleasantly surprised and there won't be a problem at all...get your fiance to find out some general answers

Needless to say, not only am I facing not being able to afford to keep my car, but increased monthly costs of about $1000-$2000 more a month just to accomedate the transition :(I'm sorry, this one is a big bummer...a lot of us have had these little surprises on VJ - either we found out after the fact or heard about someone else's situation

Never a need to apologize - you'll rant again and we won't mind then either :D

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Just a suggestion re health coverage. I too have a pre-existing condition and in order to be covered by my husband's plan I had to provide proof that I had insurance covering me up until I applied for his coverage or else I would have been excluded from health coverage for a year. I obtained a letter on letter head from my previous health insurer through my employer (they had no problems doing this) stating how long I had been covered and what it included, plus a print out of the Ontario Provincial health coverage from their website showing universal health coverage for hospitalization, doctor's visits, etc. My husband's insurer at the time was Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they accepted my documentation. When my husband's insurer changed to Cigna they also required a letter from Blue Cross/Blue Shield stating that my pre-existing condition had been covered. So, fore warned is fore armed. Visit your family doctor and have him or her print out copies of all of your documentation about your condition plus results from the last few years physicals, plus any hospitalization records that you have. I had to provide this type of evidence along with proof of previous insurance. My family doctor was very good about providing me with photocopies, so this is something you can do now before you move. Good luck.

Thanks for the advise... i'll try that..

Add it to the other 1000 plus things I need to get done... :(

My Dr is lazy, and will charge me for every photocopy....

Is there somewhere on line I can get OHIP info?

I did not have any other benefits in place... just Ontario Health care.

Still waiting to hear back about the car... have a feeling the news won't be good... and it's about to get ugly :devil:

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your stresses!! Look on the bright side... In the US your taxes will be lower, gas is cheaper and you can get some greasy food off the McDonald's value menu for pennies on the dollar! :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Sorry to hear about your stresses!! Look on the bright side... In the US your taxes will be lower, gas is cheaper and you can get some greasy food off the McDonald's value menu for pennies on the dollar! :thumbs:

:rofl:

Life is great here.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i feel ya on the car issue. i have my car on lease and torn if i should purchase or transfer it. Since I drive cross border every week, i'm not too far away from my limit for my allowable km so i dont really want to return it and get dinged for charges. if i transfer it (luckily i have families who want my car as long as its in good condition), i have to fix some vandalism and a hit & run that occurred (cuz people don't know how to drive in snow.. blah) before i transfer or move it to US. i should be lucky i have claimed all of them but with all the immigration fees and reception expenses, and thinking about moving expense coming left right and center, the stressful part is waiting for things to happen and when will i be employed and how can i get a job with the economy so sh***y. i wish i can control time. ahhhh! ive been so good about telling myself to take it one day at a time but its not working anymore

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.