hawaii50

Infopass Experience

20 posts in this topic

Went to my DO today for an Infopass to see if there's been any action since I mailed in my RFE 3 wks ago / Get a stamp in my passport.

The IO that served me took a while to realize that my case was a waiver case... Started asking me about what docs I'd mailed in... Asking why we never did marriage counseling... Told me that CSC did their quarterly audit on 2/22 to see where all cases are at... Then told me that my case may take 18-24mo (despite anyone on this forum knowing that some waivers are getting approved within 2mo at CSC)... I did get my PP stamped for 1yr, but don't know why the IO felt the need to ask all the questions that she did...

Went to my DO today for an Infopass to see if there's been any action since I mailed in my RFE 3 wks ago / Get a stamp in my passport.

The IO that served me took a while to realize that my case was a waiver case... Started asking me about what docs I'd mailed in... Asking why we never did marriage counseling... Told me that CSC did their quarterly audit on 2/22 to see where all cases are at... Then told me that my case may take 18-24mo (despite anyone on this forum knowing that some waivers are getting approved within 2mo at CSC)... I did get my PP stamped for 1yr, but don't know why the IO felt the need to ask all the questions that she did...

Wow, that's pretty crummy to ask about counseling. Not sure exactly what business it would be at this point in time. Sometimes after people have an infopass appt it stirs up the pot and they get some action - hopefully that is your case.

If we don't hear anything in a few weeks I'm going to infopass and I'm thinking of printing our CSC case status list so I can show actual dates that others are flying by and getting approved. I'll prolly tick them off, but :whistle:

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Yeah, it wasn't the best experience... Felt like I was being interviewed... I was there for Infopass, not the interview, duh. Still no update since mailing in my RFE docs.

Filed: Timeline
Yeah, it wasn't the best experience... Felt like I was being interviewed... I was there for Infopass, not the interview, duh. Still no update since mailing in my RFE docs.

I have watched many waivers taking anywhere from 2 months to 24 months. Its interesting because the IO confirmed that an waiver application could take even 2 years. Do not follow the published time lines for I 751 waivers on the CIS site. Its mostly on a case to case basis. Also most waivers pending more than a year get pulled for an RFE or interview.

When I went for INFOPASS after I filed my waiver case, the only thing they did was to take a copy of my divorce decree and I verified with them that they had my correct adress. She checked my passport to put me a new stamp but I already had one valid over 6 months. Nothing else was asked or said.

In general there is a huge gap of information between the district offices and the service centers. The important fact is that you got your stamp regardless.

For what I have seen here is that regardless that is a waiver or not, evidence is crucial.

Was in US on H1B since 03

Married in Mar 07

AOS to PR (2yr card) in July 08

Divorced early July 08.

I751 filed with waiver for bonafide marriage... included:

• Copy (front and back) of the conditional permanent resident card
  • Copy of Divorce Decree
  • Two sworn affidavits by U.S. citizen friends, attesting to our relationship and marriage.
  • Copy of my State ID with my wife listed as my emergency contact.
  • Copy of our 2007 joint US tax return transcript
  • Copy of a letter from Bank as proof of our joint checking account.
  • Copy of dental insurance card with both names.
  • Print outs from my employer’s website showing two-person coverage for dental, medical, and vision.
  • Print outs from my employer’s website showing wife as the beneficiary to my Life Insurance, 401k Retirement Fund, and Employee Stock.
  • Copy of 1-year joint rental agreement for our apartment.
  • Copy of a hospital admission letter. My wife was at the hospital with me and signed the form.
  • Copy of emails between us trying to work out our marital problems.
  • Receipts from jewelry store when we first purchased our wedding rings, and a later receipt where we traded my wife’s ring for something nicer.
  • Print out of wifes flickr page with our wedding photos.
  • Print out show info from a trip we made together.
  • Photos of us together after we got married.
  • We didn’t have good photos from our wedding day so we got a nicer dress and had professional photos taken in spring 2008.
  • Copies of various cards sent to each other / cards sent from family to us (Birthday, Christmas, etc).
I got an RFE asking for any info on marriage counseling, any more joint financial info, and a statement about the relationship, wedding, etc.. and in bold "reasons for divorce"..

Replied to that with a statement saying that we didn't have any formal marriage counseling, no more financial info (but i resubmitted some of the same info as my initial application), and wrote a 2.5 statement about the relationship and divorce reasons.

That was about 1 month ago and I've not had any LUD's or approval or denial since then...

I know of one person with an almost identical case / timeline that was approved within 6 weeks MAX at the same service center (CSC)

When I went for INFOPASS after I filed my waiver case, the only thing they did was to take a copy of my divorce decree and I verified with them that they had my correct adress. She checked my passport to put me a new stamp but I already had one valid over 6 months. Nothing else was asked or said.

In general there is a huge gap of information between the district offices and the service centers. The important fact is that you got your stamp regardless.

For what I have seen here is that regardless that is a waiver or not, evidence is crucial.

Married in Mar 07

AOS to PR (2yr card) in July 08

Divorced early July 08.

I751 filed with waiver for bonafide marriage... included:

• Copy (front and back) of the conditional permanent resident card
  • Copy of Divorce Decree
  • Two sworn affidavits by U.S. citizen friends, attesting to our relationship and marriage.
  • Copy of my State ID with my wife listed as my emergency contact.
  • Copy of our 2007 joint US tax return transcript
  • Copy of a letter from Bank as proof of our joint checking account.
  • Copy of dental insurance card with both names.
  • Print outs from my employer’s website showing two-person coverage for dental, medical, and vision.
  • Print outs from my employer’s website showing wife as the beneficiary to my Life Insurance, 401k Retirement Fund, and Employee Stock.
  • Copy of 1-year joint rental agreement for our apartment.
  • Copy of a hospital admission letter. My wife was at the hospital with me and signed the form.
  • Copy of emails between us trying to work out our marital problems.
  • Receipts from jewelry store when we first purchased our wedding rings, and a later receipt where we traded my wife’s ring for something nicer.
  • Print out of wifes flickr page with our wedding photos.
  • Print out show info from a trip we made together.
  • Photos of us together after we got married.
  • We didn’t have good photos from our wedding day so we got a nicer dress and had professional photos taken in spring 2008.
  • Copies of various cards sent to each other / cards sent from family to us (Birthday, Christmas, etc).
I got an RFE asking for any info on marriage counseling, any more joint financial info, and a statement about the relationship, wedding, etc.. and in bold "reasons for divorce"..

Replied to that with a statement saying that we didn't have any formal marriage counseling, no more financial info (but i resubmitted some of the same info as my initial application), and wrote a 2.5 statement about the relationship and divorce reasons.

That was about 1 month ago and I've not had any LUD's or approval or denial since then...

I know of one person with an almost identical case / timeline that was approved within 6 weeks MAX at the same service center (CSC)

Again I need the dates straight. VV imp.

Wedding date ?

AOS interview date?

conditional green card in hand date?

Was there separation before the divorce? If yes when?

When did you file for divorce?

when did you get your decree?

Any reasons for divorce on the decree? Or a no fault divorce?

Your proof looks good.

sorry, my dates were a little mixed up.

Married in Mar 07

AOS to PR (2yr card) in July 07

Divorced early July 08.

No period of legal separation. Divorce was "irreconcilable differences".

Ah okay...every "officer" is different for sure, and I am not convince they know the law...there are many of us here that through experience and read a LOT know more than they do. Unfortunately a fair discussion with them is non existance.

Your AOS was pretty quick after your marriage! I had to wait almost a year!

Well the length of marriage can be look in different ways and the essential as I said is the evidence, in my eyes looks good since that's the most evidence you could collect after a year of marriage. (nice of the upgraded ring...)

I did marriage counseling, two times...and did not work, so to go to counseling does not mean ANYTHING. Plus counseling is NOT for everybody. If the other part does not want to go it's wasting your time and money.

But at my infopass (and I did two) they never asked me anything about it. Only that time that they took a photocopy of my divorce decree to "update" their records...and what for? they approved me months later as JOINT instead as the waiver, which is still pending since July08...isn't great?

Don't worry about that. Every person's experience is different. They are not the one who are handling your case anyway is the service center. Which center did you apply? Oh I see you are in Cali...when did you apply? You should be done by now if you apply last year.

Married in Mar 07

Divorced early July 08.

Edited by cherr1980

Married in Mar 07

Divorced early July 08.

I think you should be OK even though you didn't do counseling and length of marriage was short. Its better to be out of a bad relationship as soon as possible. Denials are very very rare, since the CIS will have to work hard to deny you. There has to be some blatant piece of evidence to deny and put you in front of the judge. And they don't want to look like fools front of the judge when you have all the evidence and they have nothing but a foolish officer.

Dont worry you'll be ok, it may take 24 months but the end will be fine.

Thanks for the replies... We did informal counselling with parents kind of mediating between us, but it just wasn't going to work out.... No point in my airing dirty laundry on here. It's the past :)

I should have been approved by now based on timelines I've seen, but I had an RFE... Just waiting for CSC to check the info I sent in and make a decision. Kinda stressful not knowing... My life feels like it's on hold.

Thanks for the replies... We did informal counselling with parents kind of mediating between us, but it just wasn't going to work out.... No point in my airing dirty laundry on here. It's the past :)

I should have been approved by now based on timelines I've seen, but I had an RFE... Just waiting for CSC to check the info I sent in and make a decision. Kinda stressful not knowing... My life feels like it's on hold.

Based on CSC, current approvals for waivers its a super fast 3 months. Its just vague as some wait 2 years and others get approved in 2 months. Its all case by case basis, the IO may approve you in 2 months or 24 months, nothing certain. Then again CIS keeps 751's as last priority. Thats what officers tell people at infopass appointments. But when cases are approved in 2 months the "last priority" norm in thrown out of the window. LOL CIS at its best.

If there is any truth in the 18-24 months wait for you, I think you should get something final by July 2010. Thats 3 years since your green card was approved. (2 years conditional period + 1 year extension after your green card expires) I would be surprised if you don't hear even after July 2010 looking at your evidence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.