Omar G.

K-1 / K-2 question?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

We are doing a K-1/K-2 visa, mainly our objective is to request at the interview the visa for K-2, accmpany and not follow to join. what we want is for them to give both visas, but we (my fiance and I) plan to fly first and get married and organized then in a couple months 3-4, i go back to Colombia and get my step daughter (shes 12 yr.). we dont want to have to wait because we wont have anyone do really help out in Colombia once the mother leaves. My step daughter will stay at her grandmother but she will not be able to go to the capital for any reason, we would like to have this visa issued so when we are ready we can bring her. is this possible?

Thanks

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
We are doing a K-1/K-2 visa, mainly our objective is to request at the interview the visa for K-2, accmpany and not follow to join. what we want is for them to give both visas, but we (my fiance and I) plan to fly first and get married and organized then in a couple months 3-4, i go back to Colombia and get my step daughter (shes 12 yr.). we dont want to have to wait because we wont have anyone do really help out in Colombia once the mother leaves. My step daughter will stay at her grandmother but she will not be able to go to the capital for any reason, we would like to have this visa issued so when we are ready we can bring her. is this possible?

Thanks

Yes on the visa issue but your difficulty would be obtaining Advance Parole for your fiancee to re-enter the US after going to get the daughter. She'll need that AP first and it generally takes three months or more after filing. You file after you're married. It may be possible for you to go back alone and retreive the daughter but that can get complicated as well. (non-parent international travel with a child)

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

If you request 'follow to join' your step daughter will be issued with her visa and will have 12 month in which to join you and your fiancee.

Im in exactly the same situation and have applied for my son to 'follow to join'.

Best of luck :star:

Our K1 Journey Timeline

06.00.1998 - Met Online

12.22.2008 - I-129F received by VSC

12.22.2008 - NOA1 issued

04.08.2009 - NOA2 in 107 days - Igors List #174

04.14.2009 - NVC sent to Consulate in South Africa

04.29.2009 - Consulate received

05.04.2009 - Packet #3 received

05.08.2009 - Packet #4 received

05.14.2009 - Medical - Passed

06.22.2009 - Interview - APPROVED

06.29.2009 - Visa in hand

08.06.2009 - POE - Boston

08.22.2009 - Returned to South Africa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you request 'follow to join' your step daughter will be issued with her visa and will have 12 month in which to join you and your fiancee.

Im in exactly the same situation and have applied for my son to 'follow to join'.

Actually it could be up to 18 mos. Twelve mos. to exercise the follow-to-join and another possible six months of visa validity.

YMMV

Timeline

Actually it could be up to 18 mos. Twelve mos. to exercise the follow-to-join and another possible six months of visa validity.

True but the OP is aware of "follow to join" and states that's not what they want to do, BECAUSE the child will not be able to travel to the Consulate for a visa interview. Their plan for the visa will work just fine. The probem is the mother's ability to leave and return to the USA.

I see three options

1. Do as planned and get the visas at the same time. If AP cannot be secured in time, get an emergency AP travel and retrieve the child.

2. Do the follow to join and take the child to their interview on the same trip you go to retrieve her.

3. Do as planned and get the visas at the same time but send the step-father to retrieve the daughter.

Number two is the safe way, IMO.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

thanks for the help guys......pushbrk i would go with #3, well thats my original plan but dont know if im going to have a problem to leave Colombia with my step daughter. what kind of document would i be able to present? maybe a notorized letter from the father in Colombia and mother (my fiance) stating that i am authorized to travel to the US with the daughter? at the interview we are obviously going to have a notorized letter from the father granting authorization for the daughter to travel and live in the US.

pushbrk, in your ex. #2 you state ..... 2. Do the follow to join and take the child to their interview on the same trip you go to retrieve her.

wouldnt you mean do the Accompany K1? the child will be at the interview with passport and all documents. but we want to easiest way for her daughter to be able to travel in the following months once we get situated, it will be summer then we can look and register her for school ...etc....

thanks everyone

Timeline
thanks for the help guys......pushbrk i would go with #3, well thats my original plan but dont know if im going to have a problem to leave Colombia with my step daughter. what kind of document would i be able to present? maybe a notorized letter from the father in Colombia and mother (my fiance) stating that i am authorized to travel to the US with the daughter? at the interview we are obviously going to have a notorized letter from the father granting authorization for the daughter to travel and live in the US.

pushbrk, in your ex. #2 you state ..... 2. Do the follow to join and take the child to their interview on the same trip you go to retrieve her.

wouldnt you mean do the Accompany K1? the child will be at the interview with passport and all documents. but we want to easiest way for her daughter to be able to travel in the following months once we get situated, it will be summer then we can look and register her for school ...etc....

thanks everyone

I said it was the safest, not the best fit for your needs. If she gets a visa when her mother does, the six month clock begins. You indicated the grandmother wouldn't be able to take her to the interview but if follow to join, her mother could. You like option 3. That's fine. Yes, if you have a notarized letter from both parents, that's probably enough but that's a question for the foreign government, not VJ.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

thanks, what we are trying to accomplish is only one trip to the embassy and receive both visas. they are going this week for the visas, they will ask there if it is possible with letters from both parents, and i guess i can call the airline ask them and also try to ask customs agent, but i assume if we arrive in customs then we shouldnt really have a problem because we will already be in the US and the visa is issed and i will have the letters. i hope so.....thanks

Timeline
thanks, what we are trying to accomplish is only one trip to the embassy and receive both visas. they are going this week for the visas, they will ask there if it is possible with letters from both parents, and i guess i can call the airline ask them and also try to ask customs agent, but i assume if we arrive in customs then we shouldnt really have a problem because we will already be in the US and the visa is issed and i will have the letters. i hope so.....thanks

The child's international travel with a step-parent should be solved for exit, not entry. Just be aware of the six month clock.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

so where can i resolve this, would i be able to find this information out with the airline? because they would be the ones to deny me from exiting with my step daughter? i will not have any papers showing i am the legal gaurdien, but would i be able to get these some how once we are married? will we have any problems at the POE if only i am accompanying her?

Timeline
so where can i resolve this, would i be able to find this information out with the airline? because they would be the ones to deny me from exiting with my step daughter? i will not have any papers showing i am the legal gaurdien, but would i be able to get these some how once we are married? will we have any problems at the POE if only i am accompanying her?

Maybe ask in the regional forum. Some countries have government folks controling exit as well as entry.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

True but the OP is aware of "follow to join" and states that's not what they want to do, BECAUSE the child will not be able to travel to the Consulate for a visa interview. Their plan for the visa will work just fine. The probem is the mother's ability to leave and return to the USA.

I see three options

1. Do as planned and get the visas at the same time. If AP cannot be secured in time, get an emergency AP travel and retrieve the child.

2. Do the follow to join and take the child to their interview on the same trip you go to retrieve her.

3. Do as planned and get the visas at the same time but send the step-father to retrieve the daughter.

Number two is the safe way, IMO.

Thanks for the clarification but I was not responding to the OP...

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you want to get both the K-1 and K-2 visas at the same interview appointment, then the K-2 will only be valid for 6 months.

So, you have two options:

1. Your fiance can come to the U.S. and marry you, then immediately send in the AOS and AP applications (if you have all the document prepared prior to your marriage, all you will need is the certified marriage certificate and then you can put the package in the mail.... we mailed ours 2 days after our wedding). Once the AP is approved, you and your wife could go back and pick up your step-daughter.

2. If your fiance is unable to accompany you to pick up her daughter, you could get certified letters from both her and the child's father stating that you have permission for her to travel with you to the U.S.

My daughter followed to join and both me and my husband went back up to Canada and brought her down to the U.S.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Here is the scoop on the child leaving colombia,

You need to go to a colombian embassy here in the US and get a permission slip signed by the parents for the child to leave Colombia not sure if and where you can get this in Colombia sorry http://www.consuladodecolombiany.com/new_p...rmisosmenor.htm . It can only be notorized in Bogota for the child to leave the country without the parents. DAS ( colombian police ) wll not let the child leave the airport without this. Is the father still alive? He will have to sign and notorize this slip also . When my husband went to colombia to pick up the boys we needed this letter from the mom. Whn my son traveled in Christmas back to Colombia he had to have one from both parents.

As far as POE it should be fine just get a paper here in the US notorized stating your are her Guardian

Edited by NArocks

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.