Tanya and Barry

Single Mother With Child From Ukraine

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello To All,

The women I'm involved with from Ukraine is single and has a 6 year old son. The father left to Germany before the child was born. They were never married and his name does not appear appear on the birth certificate. Is there anything special that we have to provide the embassy in Kiev?

Thanks,

Barry

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: Timeline
Hello To All,

The women I'm involved with from Ukraine is single and has a 6 year old son. The father left to Germany before the child was born. They were never married and his name does not appear appear on the birth certificate. Is there anything special that we have to provide the embassy in Kiev?

Thanks,

Barry

I am not sure but it will be good to get a clearance from the local police on that country! :dance:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello To All,

Thanks,

Barry

I am not sure but it will be good to get a clearance from the local police on that country! :dance:

Six year old children don't need police certificate. Otherwise, you need a Kiev specific answer to your question about the child. Somebody will be along who knows.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Hello To All,

Thanks,

Barry

The most recent correspondence I have seen with Kyiv is they do not require a parent letter or anything else if the father is not listed on the birth certificate. This was in the past 3 weeks. Write to them and ask your question, keep their response and attahc it to your interview documents. Write the consular section at kyiviv@state.gov

The child will not need a police certificate and does not need to attend the interview. The child will need a DS-156 form, medical exam, I-134, visa fee, original, copy and translation of birth certificate at the interview.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Hello To All,

Thanks,

Barry

The most recent correspondence I have seen with Kyiv is they do not require a parent letter or anything else if the father is not listed on the birth certificate. This was in the past 3 weeks. Write to them and ask your question, keep their response and attahc it to your interview documents. Write the consular section at kyiviv@state.gov

The child will not need a police certificate and does not need to attend the interview. The child will need a DS-156 form, medical exam, I-134, visa fee, original, copy and translation of birth certificate at the interview.

Thank you very much for your answer. I sent an email to Kiev yesterday.

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline
Hello To All,

Thanks,

Barry

Thank you very much for your answer. I sent an email to Kiev yesterday.

Great. They are really pretty good at answering in a day or two.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

This is the reply I received from the embassy. Great news.

Dear Mr. Stults:

Thank you for your inquiry of March 01, 2009. If there is no father on the birth certificate no additional documents are required.

We hope this information will be helpful.

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy,

Kyiv, Ukraine

Tel.: +38/044/490-44-22

Fax: +38/044/484-45-70

Please visit our website at http://kyiv.usembassy.gov for more information about consular services

This e-mail is UNCLASSIFIED based on the definitions provided in E.O. 12958

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline
This is the reply I received from the embassy. Great news.

Dear Mr. Stults:

Thank you for your inquiry of March 01, 2009. If there is no father on the birth certificate no additional documents are required.

We hope this information will be helpful.

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy,

Kyiv, Ukraine

Tel.: +38/044/490-44-22

Fax: +38/044/484-45-70

Please visit our website at http://kyiv.usembassy.gov for more information about consular services

This e-mail is UNCLASSIFIED based on the definitions provided in E.O. 12958

Be sure to print a copy of that and take it with you to the interview

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Common sense would indicate the answer could not be anything else... Since the father is not "legally" established, whom would you get "clearance" from?

Picture this at the interview..

CO: I see no father is listed on the birth certificate, who is the father of your child?

Applicant: I do not know.

CO: Then please get a clearance letter from him....

YMMV

Timeline
Common sense would indicate the answer could not be anything else... Since the father is not "legally" established, whom would you get "clearance" from?

CO: I see no father is listed on the birth certificate, who is the father of your child?

Just covering my bases. Sometimes the immigration process is not dictated by common sense. In my first post in the thread I indicated that she does know who the father is but he abandoned them before the child was born and before they were married. Having to get permission from the father in Germany would have been extremely difficult if not impossible.

Edited by bjstults

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just covering my bases. Sometimes the immigration process is not dictated by common sense. In my first post in the thread I indicated that she does know who the father is but he abandoned them before the child was born and before they were married. Having to get permission from the father in Germany would have been extremely difficult if not impossible.

Understood, but the problem being there is no established legal paternal relationship documented anywhere.... She could indicate Santa Claus if she wanted to...

YMMV

Understood, but the problem being there is no established legal paternal relationship documented anywhere.... She could indicate Santa Claus if she wanted to...

Now that would be a tough clearance to get.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Perfect comon sense, Pay, I agree.

Picture this at the interview....

CO: I see not father listed...who is the father?

Applicant: I don't know

CO: then you need to provide the court document granting sole custody to you as provided for in the instructions as one of the optional documents for children.

Applicant: I didn't know that, I assumed, by common sense, I would not need that.

CO: You should have sent an email, for free, to our email address and clarified that for your own satisfaction and had a copy here in case one of us wasn't aware of that rule as you have waited a long time and come a long way to be here, and now you will have to wait more, even if I am wrong. Because if I am wrong YOU will have to correct MY error, thats the way it works and too bad you didn't take 5 minutes to send a free email and be sure.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

There is the provision that she provide a letter of permission (impossible in this case) OR a court order of sole custody, OR a certificate of death of the father. So who is to say the CO could not demand a court order.

My wife, a Ukrainian citizen, also has "no father" on her birth certificate and also has a copy of a court order her mother obtained granting her sole custody of her own daughter. Now things have changed a bit in Ukraine since Alla was a child, but her mother needed this to even enroll her school as a child. The OP was absolutely not wrong to check on this. My wife came to me with two children and the OP has another problem not related to the consulate.

When she leaves Ukraine, those guys at passport control are going to demand that same letter, I hope they know this same rule. I do not trust Ukrainian passport control people to apply common sense. Do you?

We are now in the process, rather complicated thus far, of getting confirmation that Alla's son will be able to leave Ukraine when we visit this year, even though he now has a US green card. The "permanent" emigration permission he has from last year may not be accepted for leaving Ukraine now! Now common sense would tell you a letter granting permission to relocate to the USA "permanently" would be enough. Yes? I thought so too. But we are having a difficult time determining if we will need another letter granting him permission AGAIN.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Here is how F'd up they are. My wife was told by a rather low level and "not very clever sounding" person we would need a new letter from her ex husband in order for her son to enter and leave Ukraine this year on a visit. We have a "permanent" letter.

Why?

Common Ukrainian sense answer: "Yes, you have this letter but if you bring him back to Ukraine then you did not leave permanently and need a letter dated within 30 days allowing him to leave, permanently, again" ! Which means we spend most of our vacation negotiating another letter with her ex-husband. Wonderful news. Now we have been told by another more ecuated person this is incorrect but are still pursuing confirmation in writing. Imagine if the OP doesn't ask these questions and runs unto this at the interview or at the airport when she is leaving, tickets and visa in hand and crashes into the Gopnik border guard with the big white hat who wants to pretend-play "Boss" that day and misses her flight?

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.