Adrian+Mike

New to This..Questions regarding the affidavited of supoort

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Doh, was trying to edit my previous post lol. This is what we found on http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...2994.html#forms

Should K-1 fiancé(e) visa applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?

Since fiancé(e)s are nonimmigrant visa applicants, they should use the I-134. They will need to submit an I-864 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when they adjust status to conditional immigrant in the United States after they are married.

Do the same income requirements apply to all immigrant visa applicants even if they use the I-134?

No. The 125 percent minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return and other requirements only apply when an I-864 is needed. Applicants using the I-134 will need to show that their sponsor's income is 100 percent of federal poverty guidelines as required under Section 212(a)(4) of the INA.

So, basically we will need 125% of the poverty line regardless really in the end? It still sounds compleatly weird to me, if a person has just over 100% then where will they find the extra 25% from in the space of the time it takes from the K1 to the AOS.

Is it just me or is the whole process compleatly designed to confuse you? It's like, we think we've almost understood everything then another spanner gets thrown in the works.

Edited by Adrian+Mike

08-15-09 -- I-129F Sent! Here we go!!

05-20-10 -- K1 Approved!!!!!

06-29-10 -- Mike flys into the USA

09-18-10 -- Wedding!!

10-16-10 -- EAD/AOS Mailed

10-23-10 -- Biometrics appt received, 17 Nov!

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

You just found an excellent link.

And you are dead on in your thinking that if 125% is required SOON, it's a good idea to have it now. But it's still good to know the facts.

I don't think the process is 'designed' to confuse. But it's a lot to take in at once.

You might want to take it slowly and not overdo your head. When I was first trying to figure this stuff out, I found things looked a lot clearer in the morning........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi,

Im the 'boyfriend' in question. As my soon to be fiancee say's we already knew that we needed to be engaged to file, we were just gathering information beforehand so we were all prepared when the time comes.

My stepdad who is American has been through the process of bringing him to here in the UK to be with my mother so we have *some* advice to go on, however obviously their situation was diffrent and they were dealing with the UK immigration services rather than us dealing with the US side of things. The more research we seem to do though just seems to keep on giving us more questions than answers, we start to go a bit crazy after a while looking at all the forms and such! Im glad there is websites such as these that clearly lists the guides and such as to what to do, they are a great help!

Just one question, on looking upon the the USCIS website I can't seem to find the i-134 form anywhere - is this because its been updated recently so they have not got it up there? Ive found a 30/10/08 version on Visapro but was curious as to if this was the latest version and why it wasn't showing on the main USCIS website.

Thanks again for all the replys so far, we both really appreciate it

Sheesh. I hardly thought I "beat anyone up". My guess is she will recover completely and have no permanent scars. I try to give accurate information and if I go above and beyond the stated question in clarification, my apologies.

The I-134 can be found at the embassy website with the pasket 3 information. At he risk of being accused of beating someone up, go to the website and download packet 3 and get those douments ready while you wait for the I-129f to be approved. It will put you far ahead of the game.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
go to the website and download packet 3 and get those douments ready while you wait for the I-129f to be approved

...but not too far ahead as the information provided needs to be close to the interview date. ;)

timeline.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Think 125% for both.

The 134 is "short term" for the time leading to the adjustment of status. As noted by limejello the 864 is a binding agreement that lasts for approx. 10 years. If you can't show a solid case with the K-1 petition you won't get a visa and not make it to the AOS. Check the UK regional forum for more input specific to your fiance's journey.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Think 125% for both.

The 134 is "short term" for the time leading to the adjustment of status. As noted by limejello the 864 is a binding agreement that lasts for approx. 10 years. If you can't show a solid case with the K-1 petition you won't get a visa and not make it to the AOS. Check the UK regional forum for more input specific to your fiance's journey.

Thanks for everyones help.. we will basically make sure we have a sponsor or that i make 125% no matter what form we use..

08-15-09 -- I-129F Sent! Here we go!!

05-20-10 -- K1 Approved!!!!!

06-29-10 -- Mike flys into the USA

09-18-10 -- Wedding!!

10-16-10 -- EAD/AOS Mailed

10-23-10 -- Biometrics appt received, 17 Nov!

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.