DINNER IN MENA LAND

134 posts in this topic

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
My husband doesn't eat a lot of breakfast. He gets up, goes outside to smoke, comes back in to get his tea and 2 or 3 Oreo cookies and he's good to go.

LOL yeah to the Oreos :) I bought little variety packs of cookies for him to put in his lunch box. I've come home from work to find an open pack of Oreos on the coffee table with two cookies gone and four left. Then those four mysteriously disappear -- guess the cats eat them :whistle:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
Hey can someone share a recipe for this melwi stuff? It sounds really good.

I think M4E's recipe is the one I have, but I don't have it on this computer. I'm sure it's easy as she says. I'm just easily intimidated, especially after seeing J's mom sit on the kitchen floor on a hot day with the gas bottle and burner cooking melwi for a couple of hours. That's just the association I have with it, although I know U.S. appliances cut the work down considerably.

I'm the USC.

Filed: Timeline

I usually make a monster batch of waffles for Abdel and freeze them in bags. He eats them for breakfast and snacks during the month until they are gone and I make more. His latest craze is pouring olive oil in a small bowl, adding a scoop of apricot preserves, and dipping chunks of the waffles in that. He also just eats them plain with the olive oil, no preserves. He loves english muffins too - with olive oil.

I just found the Danactive yogurt drink in the tiny bottles (I think 3 something ounces each) - 8 to a pack, and he says those are perfect for him. He drinks them any time - even as his drink with a meal.

Once in a while on the weekend I cook a big breakfast for us, but he usually sleeps until well after noon on the weekends, so it's more like brunch.

During the week, it's just the waffles or some other bread and coffee for breakfast because I'm already at work and that's what he will fix for himself. Even a lot of time on the weekend though, that's still all he wants when he first wakes up.

Oh, something else the man loves - corndogs! He loves cornbread - eats it like cake, and to him corndogs are just the best food ever for a quick meal.

Timeline
I usually make a monster batch of waffles for Abdel and freeze them in bags. He eats them for breakfast and snacks during the month until they are gone and I make more. His latest craze is pouring olive oil in a small bowl, adding a scoop of apricot preserves, and dipping chunks of the waffles in that. He also just eats them plain with the olive oil, no preserves. He loves english muffins too - with olive oil.

I just found the Danactive yogurt drink in the tiny bottles (I think 3 something ounces each) - 8 to a pack, and he says those are perfect for him. He drinks them any time - even as his drink with a meal.

Once in a while on the weekend I cook a big breakfast for us, but he usually sleeps until well after noon on the weekends, so it's more like brunch.

During the week, it's just the waffles or some other bread and coffee for breakfast because I'm already at work and that's what he will fix for himself. Even a lot of time on the weekend though, that's still all he wants when he first wakes up.

Oh, something else the man loves - corndogs! He loves cornbread - eats it like cake, and to him corndogs are just the best food ever for a quick meal.

We went through a big chicken corndog phase :lol: I guess J got burned out on them after a while. I don't have a waffle iron, so I've been getting the frozen kind, but homemade are so much better. Next on my wish list is a decent waffle iron/griddle combo. Oh, J likes harsha for breakfast too, but he'll eat cornbread or corn muffins instead -- pretty close. He had cream o' wheat for the first time recently and didn't really "get it" but liked it once he added milk and sugar. He likes grits, though I rarely make them, just don't think of it.

I'm the USC.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I make a big batch of refrigerator bran muffins very couple of weeks and we make them fresh every couple of days. My husband and son both love them and they are pretty healthy. Its the kind where you make a huge thing of batter and it will keep in the fridge for like 4 or 6 weeks although we never get past aobut 2 weeks. I remember my mom used to make them when we were kids and then a few months ago my sister found the recipe and since then they've become quite a staple. I'll post the recipe up in the sultan's kitchen thread.

other than that, we also make a lot of waffles. I LOVE my waffle iron. there is a 10 grain waffle mix from Bobs Red Mill (sometimes its on the 'natural foods' aisle) that is so so delicious....

also my husband loves bagels with cream cheese, our costco sells a really good kinds of somewhat local ones so we pretty much always have those too.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Hey can someone share a recipe for this melwi stuff? It sounds really good.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2057778

I have learned to make a lot of recipes from youtube. Algeria has a similar bread like Melwi, except it is called Mhajeb, and it is stuffed with cooked tomato, onion and pepper. I was real intimidated but after watching some recipe videos I tried it and they turned out great. I kneaded by hand though because I dont have a processor with dough hooks.

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Timeline

I used to make Malt-O-Meal, which is a malt flavored cream of wheat, but can't find it now. Abdel loved that, and he eats cream-of-wheat too, if I make it.

I had a good waffle iron that I was using that made a size that fit perfect in the toaster, then I won a George Foreman grill in the Christmas raffle at work and it came with waffle iron plates, so I use that now. Those waffles are really too big though. We already gave away the old waffle iron though so I can't go back to it. The George Foreman ones have to be broken in half to fit in the toaster, or have to be heated up in the toaster oven.

I always either use half whole wheat and half regular flour, then add in wheat germ, or use Fiber One pancake mix. Either way I'm sneaking a little fiber in on Abdel which I figure never hurts anything. He likes them and doesn't complain.

I'll have to try the melwi recipe. Abdel could live on bread and coffee I think.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Oh cool! I never thought to look for recipes on youtube. :-)

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

I would agree with the one of you who said hubby gets up to smoke....BRIDGET WAS THAT YOU??

I would like to take a poll

about smoking and MENA men...

OK SO YES! My husband smokes FIRST before anything...got accustomed to coffee or his mother's MILK with the taste of some coffee in it

TONS OF SUGAR!

But loves yogurt....

cigarette.....coffee....yogurt...(or something sweet) BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS :thumbs:

I never knew so many people HAD, let alone USED a waffle iron...I have not gotten that far yet :whistle:

i am going to try those danimals...or the yogurt you can drink...cuz he used to drink those alot and was his lil snack of choice when there

i mean he eats yogurt daily but those drinkable ones....mmm...now that will definitely make him think of home :luv:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.