angienbrett

So many questions on my I-212 for my hubby Pls HELP

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I just sent off the I-212 for my hubby. I have been trying to get everything together and I am worried I don't have enough.

My hubby was deported in 2005 for working illegally even though he hadn't realized the company that sent him there didn't have his paperwork in order like they said.

We have been working since 2005 on his Immigrant Visa though we did delay it slightly as I had some health issues so we put a hold on it for awhile. Now that we started the process again the embassy said we needed the I-212 sent off to lift the ban which has scared me to death.

My main points in my letter with the I-212 for reasons we need the ban lifted is.

1. My Grandmother is 80 and her health is very bad and we need to move so I can help take care of her

( I did manage to get a letter from her doctor listing all her medical conditions)

2. The stress of her full time care is taking atoll on my mother who needs me to be home to help

( I did get a letter from my Mother who explained my Mother also has health issues and needs me to come home but I didn't get a letter from the doctor on her medical conditions)

3. Crime in the UK is out of control, I do not feel safe ( I was not sure how to prove this but it's well known)

4. Since the Iraq War there has been increasing Anti-American sentiment and I have been ostracized because of it and had to quit 3 jobs due to being bullied for being American. ( I cannot prove this though)

5. My Fathers health is also failing but I couldn't get any medical documents just an email from my Stepmom explaining his condition and begging for us to be allowed to move back to the states.

6. My husband is in his early forties and if we have to wait for the 10 year ban to be lifted we will both be too old to start over in the states.

7. Financially we would end up in serious debt if the ban stays in place because I would still have to move back to the states without him to help my Grandmother but so we could spend as much time together possible I would also have to fly back to the UK on a regular basis which financially we cannot afford also I have a severe fear of flying.

8. My Grandmother wants her house to stay in the family but we cannot buy it unless we both move there because we cannot afford to keep our UK house and buy her house, and we would have to keep our house in the UK if he couldn't join me in the states

I think there are a few other bits and pieces but my worry is I do not have enough supporting medical documents, like for my mother and Father. I also worry because many of the things I cannot really provide proof of. I sent a copy of our marriage certificate, my passport and US driving license as proof but now I worry I may have needed certified copies? It didn't seem to say that anywhere.

If the I-212 is denied does anyone know what the next step is? And if it seems like I may have a good case for approval, I am so worried about being turned down.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It sounds to me like you have a good 212 waiver. The 212 is a discretionary waiver and the family relationship along with proving he is a person of good moral character (this is one thing you might need to add) is enough. . .you don't actually have to prove extreme hardship. Check out this link on the adjudication process for the 212, it explains a lot. http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showthread.php?t=339

Now, I have a bit of experience with the 212 and am wanting to make sure the proper filing is taking place. . let me clarify a few things. . .

You were told to file the I-212 at the visa interview by the consulate?

Where did you file it?

Were there any other inadmissibilities? How long was his overstay, etc. . .

Edited by emt103c

Timeline

Thanks EMT!

Yes we were told to file the i-212 at the interview in London at the embassy there.

He was just banned for 10 years, deported for working illegally even though the company that sent him and 8 others told us his paperwork was in order. We had already been married for 4 years so we wouldn't have risked his chance at a greencard if we hadn't been lied to thats whats so upsetting.

I did tell them he is a gentleman and a hardworker, I was so focused on needing to point out what a hardship is I forgot to mention he has never commited a crime :(

Is there any way to get this expedited as it seems like every time I phone home my Grandma is worse and worse.

Thanks for your help.

Timeline
Thanks EMT!

Yes we were told to file the i-212 at the interview in London at the embassy there.

He was just banned for 10 years, deported for working illegally even though the company that sent him and 8 others told us his paperwork was in order. We had already been married for 4 years so we wouldn't have risked his chance at a greencard if we hadn't been lied to thats whats so upsetting.

I did tell them he is a gentleman and a hardworker, I was so focused on needing to point out what a hardship is I forgot to mention he has never commited a crime :(

Is there any way to get this expedited as it seems like every time I phone home my Grandma is worse and worse.

Thanks for your help.

Expedites are hard to come by, but if you'd like to try for one, gather evidence of your Grandmother's health and why you need to be in the states/why you cannot go without him and contact your senate or house liaison to get a letter of support/expedite request.

The problem here is going to be figuring out where London has the I-212 because London doesn't adjudicate 212's on their own. . .local offices do. . .so it may be a while before they figure out what to do with it. . .You'll have to fax the request to whichever office London sent the 212 for adjudication.

Timeline

I misunderstood what you meant :)

His immigration request is filed in london and thats where he had his embassy visit but the I-212 has been sent to Atlanta GA.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing as processing times seem to be quite varied and I am not sure how long they are taking.

Timeline

Aha! cool,

Okay, last 212 we saw go through Atlanta took 12 months. . .I think that all offices have sped up since then though. Mine took six months through Buffalo. . .If I were you, I would try the expedite, as long as you can get some proof together. Let us know how it goes.

Timeline
Aha! cool,

Okay, last 212 we saw go through Atlanta took 12 months. . .I think that all offices have sped up since then though. Mine took six months through Buffalo. . .If I were you, I would try the expedite, as long as you can get some proof together. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the help. I'm just waiting now for it to be definitely received so I can request the expedite and I am gonna ensure I get the doctors letters for my Dad and Mom that I hadn't gotten before.

Fingers crossed !

Aha! cool,

Was your I-212 approved? My 212 and 601 will go to Honduras to be adjudicated. heard that the foreign adjudicators are less strict.

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Yes, mine was approved.

Can I ask why you needed to file the waiver? Was there any criminal charges or multiple entries or was it only one entry and deportation??

Edited by esposadetucho

Married March 9, 2013

AMAZING !!!
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

event.png

event.png

Timeline

We only filed an I-212. The 212 is for deportation. My husband was denied entry at the border because he was travelling with me (a USC) and we had previously filed for a fiance visa. . . and they saw that as immigrant intent. When they denied him entry, they also gave him an expedited removal which counts as the same thing as a deportation.

We only filed an I-212. The 212 is for deportation. My husband was denied entry at the border because he was travelling with me (a USC) and we had previously filed for a fiance visa. . . and they saw that as immigrant intent. When they denied him entry, they also gave him an expedited removal which counts as the same thing as a deportation.

hmmmm and it took 6 months for them to process that waiver in the US?? Did they ask you for any additional info and did you use a lawyer?

Married March 9, 2013

AMAZING !!!
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

event.png

event.png

Timeline

No lawyer. . .no RFE. . .trust me, my waiver had more than enough documentation. I did have inquiries going multiple directions through both Senate and House liaisons. In country waivers typically take a lot longer than out of country waivers. . .I got very lucky and got a 'quick' response.

No lawyer. . .no RFE. . .trust me, my waiver had more than enough documentation. I did have inquiries going multiple directions through both Senate and House liaisons. In country waivers typically take a lot longer than out of country waivers. . .I got very lucky and got a 'quick' response.

Thank you for your information. I heard it could take another 8 months to process the waivers in Honduras.

We are filing the 601 and the 212.

How do you get Senators involved? I have the local congressional office involved. I think they are tired of hearing from me. I will keep them involved though. I thought the Senators office would just pass it down to the local congressional offices.

Married March 9, 2013

AMAZING !!!
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

event.png

event.png

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Thank you for your information. I heard it could take another 8 months to process the waivers in Honduras.

We are filing the 601 and the 212.

How do you get Senators involved? I have the local congressional office involved. I think they are tired of hearing from me. I will keep them involved though. I thought the Senators office would just pass it down to the local congressional offices.

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and my husband was deported 3 years ago. He came to America as a child and his parents failed to renew his alien card when he turned 16. He was charged at age of 19 with a crimmal offense and was deported after serving his time. I have moved to Uk to be with him as we had a daughter together that was 6 years old. All of his family as well as all my family (as I am an a american citizen) are in America. We are going to apply for the i212 but it seems so complicted and confusing on what steps to take first. I was told he had to apply for a immigrant visa first then if that is approved then apply for his i212?

Is that what you guys had to do? Also, anything you reccommend me putting with the letter to prove hardship. My mom has absolutley no family alive and she is a widow. She has just been diagnosed with MS and its really bad. I feel bullied for being american and my daughter has been hit at school an dconstantly made fun of as well. Have any of you had any luck with teh i212?

I really appreciate your help. I just want us to be able to go back home. Its so hard.

Thank you

I misunderstood what you meant :)

His immigration request is filed in london and thats where he had his embassy visit but the I-212 has been sent to Atlanta GA.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing as processing times seem to be quite varied and I am not sure how long they are taking.

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and my husband was deported 3 years ago. He came to America as a child and his parents failed to renew his alien card when he turned 16. He was charged at age of 19 with a crimmal offense and was deported after serving his time. I have moved to Uk to be with him as we had a daughter together that was 6 years old. All of his family as well as all my family (as I am an a american citizen) are in America. We are going to apply for the i212 but it seems so complicted and confusing on what steps to take first. I was told he had to apply for a immigrant visa first then if that is approved then apply for his i212?

Is that what you guys had to do? Also, anything you reccommend me putting with the letter to prove hardship. My mom has absolutley no family alive and she is a widow. She has just been diagnosed with MS and its really bad. I feel bullied for being american and my daughter has been hit at school an dconstantly made fun of as well. Have any of you had any luck with teh i212?

I really appreciate your help. I just want us to be able to go back home. Its so hard.

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.