lgg

Bonafide Marriage difficulties...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all...

Okay, I'm stressing out about our I-130 stuff... it's all set up and ready to go but here's the issue....

During my last visit, we went to his US bank and had me added to his bank account (yes, we were able to do it with my Canadian drivers' license and our marriage certificate and my Canadian passport) we put a small amount into it and that was that.

So, the other day, he went to the bank and they wrote him a letter on the bank letterhead and such stating that he and I have a joint bank account with

such and such amount in it. A tiny sum, first deposit sort of thing.

So, is this going to cause us to get an RFE? We also included pics of us, wedding pics, chat logs and airline stubs. IT's just so hard because we're applying for immigration! So NO, I'm not on any of the bills yet, I'm not on the mortgage and we don't have have children together.

Is that going to be a problem? I know I can get sworn affidavits from our friends and such who were at our wedding, but I'm trying to avoid spending another 2-300$ on this if I can. I just can't fathom how with all this much work, effort and money that anyone who wasn't in a real relationship would bother!

So, if anyone has any advice and such, it would be just awesome. Or if you live in Ontario and got an affidavit done, how much was it? I've researched prices no less than 200$.

Also, I was going to get a letter from HR where I work stating that I've changed my status from single to married and that I've put him on my emergency contact list -- I read somewhere, legal website, that this can also serve as evidence of a bona fide marriage.

Thanks all...

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

The affidavits merely need to be witnessed, not sworn, so there is no cost involved. Otherwise, you're probably good to go without them. The joint bank account is a nicety, but not necessary -- suppose you were in Cambodia, not Canada?

Timeline

Yes, no need for sworn affidavits. Sounds like you have a lot of evidence, I don't think the amount of money in the account is an issue at all.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Thanks guys...

I hope so, I just don't want to have to be pushed back to the bottom of the pile because of something easily got.

Thank you,

LGG

:D

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Hey all...

Okay, I'm stressing out about our I-130 stuff... it's all set up and ready to go but here's the issue....

During my last visit, we went to his US bank and had me added to his bank account (yes, we were able to do it with my Canadian drivers' license and our marriage certificate and my Canadian passport) we put a small amount into it and that was that.

So, the other day, he went to the bank and they wrote him a letter on the bank letterhead and such stating that he and I have a joint bank account with

such and such amount in it. A tiny sum, first deposit sort of thing.

So, is this going to cause us to get an RFE? We also included pics of us, wedding pics, chat logs and airline stubs. IT's just so hard because we're applying for immigration! So NO, I'm not on any of the bills yet, I'm not on the mortgage and we don't have have children together.

Is that going to be a problem? I know I can get sworn affidavits from our friends and such who were at our wedding, but I'm trying to avoid spending another 2-300$ on this if I can. I just can't fathom how with all this much work, effort and money that anyone who wasn't in a real relationship would bother!

So, if anyone has any advice and such, it would be just awesome. Or if you live in Ontario and got an affidavit done, how much was it? I've researched prices no less than 200$.

Also, I was going to get a letter from HR where I work stating that I've changed my status from single to married and that I've put him on my emergency contact list -- I read somewhere, legal website, that this can also serve as evidence of a bona fide marriage.

Thanks all...

USCIS hasn't been that strict showing a bona fide marriage with the initial petition. That will come up at the interview.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

I know, eh? ~takes deep breath~

I just want to get it done and get it done right so I can move on with my life with my husband.

And again, thanks to everyone for being patient and taking the time to answer my questions -- some of which I know I've totally repeated.

Best to all.

LGG

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

If either of you has insurances, life, health Ect. add each other as a dependent or beneficiary and use that also. I added my wife to health life and pension and had my company give me a company letter stating those facts, and she added me to her Social security account here in the Philippines as the beneficiary.

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Marriage : 2007-05-10

I-130 Sent : 2008-06-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-07-09

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-27

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-11

DS-3032 E-Mail accepted: 2009-02-11

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-02-14

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-14

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-18

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-11

IV Bill generated: 2009-02-11

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-02-18

NVC received both packages: 2009-02-20

DS-230 & I-864 scanned NVC: 2009-02-23

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-02-26

Interview confirmed: 2009-02-27

NVC Left : 2009-03-06

Consulate Received : 2009-03-09

Medical completed: 2009-03-20

Interview Date : 2009-04-03

Visa Received : 2009-04-07

US Entry : 2009-05-10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.