chimcham

Living Together

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Very good/interesting posts in here. I'm a little confused by the notion of living with someone to get to know them before marrying first, though. To me, that's what the dating sequence is for. Then the engagement states your commitment to marry and build a life together. Whether you live together through marriage or just as common-law, you still have to go through the same process of adjusting to having another person in your space 24/7, and co-mingling assets. Both methods are painful. :lol: And both methods will require separation of assets and heartache should they end. Living with someone as opposed to marrying someone isn't going to make these things any easier, nor is it going to give you an opportunity to test the waters. It's blooming hard to be in a relationship, and it's going to take time to adjust whether you're married or not. Personally, I think it takes a minimum of two years to go through the adjustment process, and then another 8 to settle in. Don't get me wrong.... it's not all doom and gloom. But the reality is that we all like our own space and our own methods of doing things..... and, sometimes, someone who is not conforming to that reality is going to take some time to get retrained. :lol:

iagree.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Phew - good to know I'm almost finished adjusting and then I just have the settling in phase!!!!

LOL

PS - my husband's retraining is going well...honey don't be offended if you read this

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
Very good/interesting posts in here. I'm a little confused by the notion of living with someone to get to know them before marrying first, though. To me, that's what the dating sequence is for. Then the engagement states your commitment to marry and build a life together. Whether you live together through marriage or just as common-law, you still have to go through the same process of adjusting to having another person in your space 24/7, and co-mingling assets. Both methods are painful. :lol: And both methods will require separation of assets and heartache should they end. Living with someone as opposed to marrying someone isn't going to make these things any easier, nor is it going to give you an opportunity to test the waters. It's blooming hard to be in a relationship, and it's going to take time to adjust whether you're married or not. Personally, I think it takes a minimum of two years to go through the adjustment process, and then another 8 to settle in. Don't get me wrong.... it's not all doom and gloom. But the reality is that we all like our own space and our own methods of doing things..... and, sometimes, someone who is not conforming to that reality is going to take some time to get retrained. :lol:

Here here! I'm still "training" my husband to PLEASE put down the toilet seat, as we only have 1 bathroom! :lol:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Timeline
Phew - good to know I'm almost finished adjusting and then I just have the settling in phase!!!!

LOL

PS - my husband's retraining is going well...honey don't be offended if you read this

Thank God I'm finished adjusting. It was hit and miss there for a while..... it's hard to go through life wondering whether to kill him or to kiss him. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Here here! I'm still "training" my husband to PLEASE put down the toilet seat, as we only have 1 bathroom! :lol:

We've always had that down - I take offense to the lid being down also. In the middle of the night it's rather disconcerting when you sit :P

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes I'm still "training" my wife to either leave the seat UP or put BOTH down. One bathroom, 5 or so years of marriage and she still leaves only one part down. She doesn't complain when I have it up or when I have it both down, but I find it kind of disgusting having only partially down. Oh well I don't have to sit on it after I pee hee hee...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

While you have good points Krikit and I pretty much agree with what you said, I have heard stories from my friends that they were very in love with a person and then began living with them, and found out they had a lot of bad habits day to day that they ended up not being able to stand.

In that case I'd rather know before I got married then have to go through a divorce. Living together and marrying somebody both entail great adjustments. Personally though, I would not have married my husband without living with him first. I wanted to know if I could handle him in my space 24/7 period. Some people, whether you love them or not, can be too annoying to life with. There were a lot of things I didn't know about Jared until we started living together.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I ain't gonna lie. Month #1 was hell. For both of us. We're in our groove now. We started living together after 14 months of marriage. You could say there was need for adjustment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I ain't gonna lie. Month #1 was hell. For both of us. We're in our groove now. We started living together after 14 months of marriage. You could say there was need for adjustment.

I think it is more of an issue of living with another person more than the being married issue. There have been people that have lived together for X years and then get married and soon after get divorced. It's all a matter of adjusting, you will have to get adjusted to them and they to you. Loving someone is them having a habit that drives you up the wall, but you still stay with them and love them anyway. There will always be something from your significant other that you will not like. C'mon it's difficult enough living with family! Also as mentioned in an earlier reply it does help a lot that the other person is mature and has had responsiblities. It is always different from how you think it is going to be to the actual reality.

In marriage there is a lot of accomodation, adjustment, sharing and sacrifice, but you do it for love. : )

Jorge

K1 (K2) Application
06-19-2008 I-129F sent (Vermont SC)
06-28-2008 NOA1 / 11-11-2008 NOA2
02-03-2009 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!
02-17-2009 Visa received (for both)
04-27-2009 ARRIVED IN MIAMI
05-30-2009 MARRIED (L)

AOS
07-30-2009 I-485/I-765/I-131 (CIS office Miami)
08-27-2009 NOA1 date
09-03-2009 Biometrics (appt date 09-23-09)
09-18-2009 NOA2
10-21-2009 INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED
10-31-2009 Green card Received (for my wife and daughter) :joy:

ROC
07-21-2011 I-751 sent to VSC
07-30-2011 NOA1 Date
08-08-2011 Biometrics (appt date 08-26-11)
09-06-2011 Biometrics re-take (appt date 09-28-11)
03-26-2012 RFE – additional evidence / 04-19-2012 Sent docs
07-27-2012 Interview letter (appt date 08-30-12)
08-30-2012 INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED
09-13-2012 10 Year Green card received (for my wife and daughter) :joy:

N-400

07-02-2015 N-400 sent to Lewisville, TX / 07-09-2015 check cashed
07-16-2015 NOA1
07-17-2015 Biometrics (appt date 07-30-15 / CIS office Oakland Park, FL)
08-03-2015 Case in line for interview

08-20-2015 Interview letter rcvd (appt date 09-22-15 / Hialeah, FL office)

09-22-2015 INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED (Oath Ceremony date 09-26-15)

09-26-2015 OATH TAKEN. I GOT MY CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION :joy:

11-16-2015 Passport application

12-07-2015 US Passport received

12-09-2015 Got back CoN

N-600 for daughter

05-21-2016 Application sent (13 yo)

06-28-2016 Non-Delivery of Notice request sent since no receipt or letter with case # was received (reply rcvd on 07-13-2016)

07-25-2016 Checked status online: In Line for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

08-20-2016 Oath Ceremony letter received (now 14 yo) (date 08-27-2016)

08-27-2016 OATH TAKEN IN CEREMONY. DAUGHTER GOT CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP AND END OF THE JOURNEY :joy:

Timeline

Yes, I agree, I also don't think that you have to live with someone before you marry them to get to know them very well.

thank you everyone for your thoughts/insights....it helps put things in perspective for me. I'm just nervous about it all~moving in, living in a new country, figuring out a job situaton...its all overwhelming and we're not even engaged yet ( I can't wait tho!!)

It would hav been a lot easier if my employer would just sponsor me, and give us the opportunity to live together, but as many of you said, a lot of people do not even do that. I guess its a leap of faith... :)

06/25/12-2 Year Green Card Approved

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

05/15/14-NOA Receipt Date

05/19/14-Check posted to account and NOA received in mail

Timeline

I was just putting away laundry and it made me think of this thread and laugh.

Our first big fight (ever) was when I first got here. I did the laundry and put everything away. I know how Chris likes his clothes folded so I did his the way he likes them. Picture military OCD precision in the closet and in the drawers.

And in my dresser, I put everything away the way I normally would. Basically piled into balls, not folded. Not real scheme to it. Just whatever drawer was open and had room is where I stuck stuff.

So two days go by and I open my dresser and ALL the drawers have been rearranged Chris style. My socks are folded (not balled). My underwear is folded, my bras are stacked and color coordinated. I now have a drawer for t-shirts, one for shorts, one for pants, one for bathing suits. :o

I lost my mind on him when he got home. Its so stupid now. :lol: But boy was I pissed. A nice gesture gone awry.

Timeline
I was just putting away laundry and it made me think of this thread and laugh.

Our first big fight (ever) was when I first got here. I did the laundry and put everything away. I know how Chris likes his clothes folded so I did his the way he likes them. Picture military OCD precision in the closet and in the drawers.

And in my dresser, I put everything away the way I normally would. Basically piled into balls, not folded. Not real scheme to it. Just whatever drawer was open and had room is where I stuck stuff.

So two days go by and I open my dresser and ALL the drawers have been rearranged Chris style. My socks are folded (not balled). My underwear is folded, my bras are stacked and color coordinated. I now have a drawer for t-shirts, one for shorts, one for pants, one for bathing suits. :o

I lost my mind on him when he got home. Its so stupid now. :lol: But boy was I pissed. A nice gesture gone awry.

:lol: I love this story, it's so funny. I am a Chris-type in the sense that I am extremely organized, my family says I have OCD but that's another story in itself. When I moved here I proceeded to organize Glen's drawers because his were all jumbled up too. Mind you I didn't colour co-ordinate, that's a good idea! :P

P.S. you spelt colour American! :o

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
I am a Chris-type in the sense that I am extremely organized, my family says I have OCD but that's another story in itself. When I moved here I proceeded to organize Glen's drawers because his were all jumbled up too. Mind you I didn't colour co-ordinate, that's a good idea! :P

P.S. you spelt colour American! :o

Your clothes organizer you! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am sure he appreciated it though.

shizen. I'm going through the change. :crying:

We didn't live together before the wedding, at least not intentionally; we activated the K-1 about six weeks before the wedding, and he lived here because where else was I going to put him, but we spent two weeks of that at my parents, and didn't really co-mingle anything until we were married. Besides all of his stuff.

I personally don't think that 90 days would have been enough time to really know what living with someone was like, anyway, on the assumption that you knew them well enough that there wouldn't be major surprises.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.