scottishgirl

N-400 Interview / Criminal background

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Guinea
Timeline

Hi All,

I'm scheduled to go to my interview tomorrow for the N-400 application.

About 6 years ago, I was charged with a misdemeanor. The charge was "public intoxication" ... and I fully regret being an irresponsible college student.

Luckily for me, the charges were dropped, on condition that I attend a class for a bounced check that I never took care of. (The charge was called "Theft by check"). I attended the class, paid any/all fines...and that's the end of my brush with the law.

On my N-400 application, I answered truthfully about these details, and provided the necessary court documents showing the outcome of these charges.

Although I know that certain types of crimes (drug felonies, homicide, aggravated assault etc...) automatically eliminate your chances of being approved for naturalization...I can't help but feel worried and afraid. I have prepared for my civics test, English is my native language and I believe the rest of my application is strong.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Or can you share your interview experience with me, if you also have a black mark on your criminal background?

I know a college professor who was granted citizenship despite having 3 DUI/DWI charges. Should this give me hope?

- Scottishgirl

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
I know a college professor who was granted citizenship despite having 3 DUI/DWI charges. Should this give me hope?

Hey, at least you weren't driving! :)

I think you should be fine. You disclosed it, it happen before the statuatory period, and you provided court documentation.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

If you have full court records, it should be fine.

If it is single incident, honesty with detailed info along with how to present your case will be the key.

With same info, USCIS adjudicator will judge your "Good" moral character based on how you present the evidence with your personal opinion, I think.

Sincere, and honesty opinion with what you learned from your mistake.

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi All,

About 6 years ago, I was charged with a misdemeanor. The charge was "public intoxication" ... and I fully regret being an irresponsible college student.

Luckily for me, the charges were dropped, on condition that I attend a class for a bounced check that I never took care of. (The charge was called "Theft by check"). I attended the class, paid any/all fines...and that's the end of my brush with the law.

On my N-400 application, I answered truthfully about these details, and provided the necessary court documents showing the outcome of these charges.

Although I know that certain types of crimes (drug felonies, homicide, aggravated assault etc...) automatically eliminate your chances of being approved for naturalization...I can't help but feel worried and afraid. I have prepared for my civics test, English is my native language and I believe the rest of my application is strong.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Or can you share your interview experience with me, if you also have a black mark on your criminal background?

- Scottishgirl

Hi,

How is your interview's going?

Hi All,

- Scottishgirl

05/29/09, sent application package to Chicago USCIS for both parents

06/05/09, Checks cashed

06/08/09, NOA's received, online status visable

06/12/09, Bio letters received

06/29/09, Bio done

06/30/09, case transfered to California

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.