elena prekrasnaya

Should I pay taxes in Russia?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I moved to US in 2008, I still have my russian passport with permanent registration stamp in it which means than I'm still a resident of Russia. When I start to work here in US, should I pay taxes to Russian authorities as well? Thank you!

K1:

30/11/2007: I-129F petition was sent to VSC

12/06/2007: NOA1

12/12/2007: NOA1 received by mail

12/14/2007: Touched

02/17/2007: Touched

03/11/2008: NOA2 in my e-mail!!! :)

03/12/2008: Touched

03/13/2008: NVC received

03/15/2007: NOA2 in a mailbox

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I moved to US in 2008, I still have my russian passport with permanent registration stamp in it which means than I'm still a resident of Russia. When I start to work here in US, should I pay taxes to Russian authorities as well? Thank you!

Not being a expert on Russian tax law, as a citizen are you required to prepare or submit tax forms if you have worldwide income or just Russian income?

For example, a US citizen by law, is taxed on worldwide income, but can prepare a form to offset some of the tax liability, if the citizen pays tax to a foreign government.

Not sure how Russia does this

moving to Russia regional forum

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

I would do it straight up "Russian style."

That is, if you're planning on staying in the U.S. forever, forget about taxes in Russia. Keep that money and then apply it to paying taxes here later once you start working. Or take a nice trip somewhere. Or save it because who knows what's going to happen to the economy here in the U.S. in the next few months.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Are you kidding? Why would you TELL them you have a job? Why would you want to pay taxes to Russia for the rest of your life if you will live here? :blink:

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

If you are not a tax resident of Russia, i.e. do not reside in Russia for a total of at least 183 days out of a year, you are not required to pay income tax (according to paragraph 2 of article 11 of Russian Tax Code).

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.