HaoRan

Privious marrage or Out of Wedlock

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife spent 3 years or so in South Africa where she met her prior husband. The marriage was a nightmare but produced a son for my wife. The man was a liar, gambler and alcholic so she left him and went back to China.

That was 7 years ago and she has no idea where he is and really doesn't want to make contact with him if she did.

The question is, since she is not officially divorced, how should she handle this at the interview (we have NOA2)?

1. She could explain the situation if asked at the interview since she has a son who was born in South Africa.

or

2. She could just say her son was born out of wedlock.

Thanks to any suggestions on this question.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
My wife spent 3 years or so in South Africa where she met her prior husband. The marriage was a nightmare but produced a son for my wife. The man was a liar, gambler and alcholic so she left him and went back to China.

That was 7 years ago and she has no idea where he is and really doesn't want to make contact with him if she did.

The question is, since she is not officially divorced, how should she handle this at the interview (we have NOA2)?

1. She could explain the situation if asked at the interview since she has a son who was born in South Africa.

or

it is never good to lie to any part of the process. was her marraige legal? was it registered? and how did u get thru the first part of the process? did u state she has never been married?

sara

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I don't understand. What you are talking about is fraud. When they find out that she lied, they will ban her. It is better to go the right way than to risk it. Please remember that your actions with immigrations can affect thousands more. When you commit fraud and they find out, they put others that are doing the right thing through a whole host of issues. I am prime example of that. I urge you to have he seek a divorce or find out if her husband has not gotten one without her knowledge.

Good luck to you. :unsure:

I-130 for Two Step Children

App Recieved by USCIS: April 13, 2010

Notice Date: April 19, 2010

Notice Recieved: April 21, 2010

Touched: April 21, 2010

Touched: April 22, 2010

Approved:September 28,2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

SHE WILL GET DENIED. NO way to Handle.

THAT EXPLAIN WILL NOT WORK.

or

IF USCIS/NVC found out SHe'll BE BANNed for 10YRs.

GET DIVORCE DOCUMENT Then Go from There

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

or

So she's married to you and her previous husband?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Find out if China recongizes a marriage in South Africa. I would think not. If that's the case I would tell them her son was born out of wedlock.

Does the U.S. recognize a marriage in South Africa, this sounds like another fraud case with negative implications to all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

HaoRan - How did you answer the questions on the I-130 asking about your wife's previous marriages? Question 11 "Names of prior husbans/wives"

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline
Find out if China recongizes a marriage in South Africa. I would think not. If that's the case I would tell them her son was born out of wedlock.

That is incorrect. Either way she is married. She is immigrating to the US. They recognize all marraiges so this statement is incorrect.

I-130 for Two Step Children

App Recieved by USCIS: April 13, 2010

Notice Date: April 19, 2010

Notice Recieved: April 21, 2010

Touched: April 21, 2010

Touched: April 22, 2010

Approved:September 28,2010

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Well, I need to check with my wife. It could be this is a marriage which wasn't recorded in SA. Of course, I'm a doofus too... She probably told me all this but my memory does not serve.

A legal marriage in any country is recognized by other counties unless multiple spouses are involved.

The important thing is to tell the truth. If she was "married" (married is married) before and you filed a petition saying she was not, do not let her go to an interview and swear to that lie under oath. It could result in a lifetime ban from entering the USA. If she was not married, no problem. You need to undoofus really fast here as doofusism is no excuse for making a material misrepresentation during the immigration process. If she has a previous "husband" to whom she is still married, withdraw the petition. Both of you contact the Consulate by email and inform them you are not going through with the visa process. Send a letter to USCIS "withdrawing" the petition or petitions you filed. If you married in China, get that marriage ended. End her marriage to her former husband, remarry your girlfriend and file again.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.