Working in the U.S. vs Canada  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How does your work pay compare?

• I made more in Canada
    • I make more in the U.S.
    • I don't work outside the home
  2. 2. Paid Vacation Time

• I had more vacation time from work in Canada
    • I have more vacation time from work in the U.S.
    • Vacation time?
    • They are the same
  3. 3. Work Benefits

• My Canadian work benefits were better
    • My U.S. work benefits are better
    • Benefits, what benefits?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So i'm just wondering how you all are finding your work situations and renumeration compare to what you had in Canada. I know there are probably a lot of variables - say you had been working for an employer for a long time in Canada and now you have started mid-rung in the U.S.

I guess the question really is - when you compare apples to apples - have you found living in the U.S. cheaper - are you any further ahead or just the same - or are you supplementing your income with your savings, for instance.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

waaaaay more expensive here in the US.. I paid $250/ month for my half of rent in Canada, and that included phone, heat & cable.. now my 1/2 of rent is $550 without heat or any utilities. I make less and I have less time off.. as far as benefits, it's hard to compare.. i had supplemental insurance in Canada which is better than my health insurance here, but it's hard to make a direct comparison..

It should be noted that i moved from one of the cheapest parts of Canada to the most expensive here in the US.. so you have to factor that in as well.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Cost of buying a house (especially now) is way cheaper here than in Edmonton. However, cost of essentials is so much more expensive (groceries, utilities, gas, clothing).

There are some things that are much cheaper here though (cell phone, internet, satellite, insurance, banking).

One thing that bothers me is the lack of maternity leave benefits here. I've grown up with thinking one year was normal and essential. 6 weeks seems like a joke.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think we can all agree that the "cost of whatever" highly depends where you're living. There are areas in Canada and the U.S. where the costs can skyrocket and areas where the costs plummet. Even within the same city. So definitively saying "one is more expensive than the other" is a difficult issue to compare.

Filed: Timeline
Cost of buying a house (especially now) is way cheaper here than in Edmonton. However, cost of essentials is so much more expensive (groceries, utilities, gas, clothing).

There are some things that are much cheaper here though (cell phone, internet, satellite, insurance, banking).

One thing that bothers me is the lack of maternity leave benefits here. I've grown up with thinking one year was normal and essential. 6 weeks seems like a joke.

Rent in Seattle is much more spendy than in Deadmonton. For sure. Food is cheaper, and so are communication bills.

the social support networks in Canada are second to none. I agree with Mrs Cat about the maternity leave. :(

Timeline

I can't really comment because I'm not working yet. But the maternity leave issue, I completely agree with you Cat. I cannot believe they only give you 6 weeks. How is that enough time to bond with your baby, especially when breastfeeding! How on earth can you go back to work so soon after. I don't know what we'll do when the time comes but it is a difficult decision.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Rent and property taxes in South Jersey are through the roof.

My rent for a two bedroom apartment is double what it was in Midland for a three bedroom house. My in-laws pay 14,000.00 a year for taxes on their home. Insane. Homes are cheaper in Midland, I find it odd how some of the homes you see around here are going for 400,000 and its just a simple bungalow.

My salary is about the same too. But I didn't have to worry about health insurance.

When it comes to buying stuff, I am still adding on way too much money when I am trying to figure out the price of something, its always nice to get the check out line and find out that you're not being taxed out the rear. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
My rent for a two bedroom apartment is double what it was in Midland for a three bedroom house. My in-laws pay 14,000.00 a year for taxes on their home.

:o

I just about choked on my coffee.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I"m gonna have to go the other way on apartments here...we are getting a NICE one bedroom right on the city line between Raleigh and Cary - pool, gym, walking trails, fireplace and new appliances in the apartment and hookups for washer/dryer - 624/mth! Yes, we have to pay our utilities, but when I was in Halifax going to University, you couldnt get a place like this for under 900$. Hell, my two bedroom I had 4th year which is the same size as this new one was 1100/mth, only hot water inc...

But I got cranky as hell yesterday...looking for wedding photographers...lowest I've seen is 875/4 hrs *gag*

it was 300/5 hrs in Miramichi *cry*No professional photographer for this new couple :P

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Timeline
I"m gonna have to go the other way on apartments here...we are getting a NICE one bedroom right on the city line between Raleigh and Cary - pool, gym, walking trails, fireplace and new appliances in the apartment and hookups for washer/dryer - 624/mth! Yes, we have to pay our utilities, but when I was in Halifax going to University, you couldnt get a place like this for under 900$. Hell, my two bedroom I had 4th year which is the same size as this new one was 1100/mth, only hot water inc...

But I got cranky as hell yesterday...looking for wedding photographers...lowest I've seen is 875/4 hrs *gag*

it was 300/5 hrs in Miramichi *cry*No professional photographer for this new couple :P

Ohhh we had pondered moving to Cary originally, then decided on Florida!

Timeline

My cousin is getting married and you know what he did? He went to a college and found a student. You can find some who are cheap and super talented.

Always worth a try right?

Donne moi une poptart!

Can't completely respond to this since I am still commuting to work in Canada. Healthcare aside, the cost of living is definitely lower where we live in the US. I could not afford a house in Montreal.

I also still pay Canadian income taxes on employement income. That also hurts since I know it would be much lower if I was getting taxed in the US instead.

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Timeline
Can't completely respond to this since I am still commuting to work in Canada. Healthcare aside, the cost of living is definitely lower where we live in the US. I could not afford a house in Montreal.

I also still pay Canadian income taxes on employement income. That also hurts since I know it would be much lower if I was getting taxed in the US instead.

Sly

Would it be lower if you figured in health care insurance? Also, would you have an equal income in the U.S.?

I think this is kind of an apples and oranges thing. If my Husband was still working in Calgary, making that wage and living here in Florida, then sure, it would be fantastic :)

Edited by trailmix

Sly

Would it be lower if you figured in health care insurance? Also, would you have an equal income in the U.S.?

I think this is kind of an apples and oranges thing. If my Husband was still working in Calgary, making that wage and living here in Florida, then sure, it would be fantastic :)

My wife gets health insurance through her employer which is good and very reasonable (the family is covered for $370/month). I pay much more in extra taxes in Canada .... since I also have to pay the other country, Quebec. :P

I understand what you are saying though. If I worked for the US parent company in NJ, I would actually get paid a bit more but I would never be able to afford a house in NJ either.

What would be great is if I could get paid by the US parent but live and work from home :)

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.