jennleah72

How did everyone meet their american/canadian significant others?

145 posts in this topic

Can someone explain the premise of WoW to me? I don't get it.... I guess I could just wikipedia it... I'm really intrigued though... seems like a cool game to be a part of.

It's a glorified chat room.

You create characters, it's a HUGE game...full of beautiful graphics and very imaginative quests and events.

You level your character by doing quests, teaming with others.

You chat, have professions like fishing, cooking, mining where you collect items to make really cool gear and what not.

It's a huge huge game.

Wow.com

You can view some screenshots people have taken from there.

ScreenShot_012809_101159.jpg

^^Me flying a cool dragon!

LOL

Also check out youtube, there are tons of videos.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

What an interesting post, indeed! Thanks for sharing all of your meeting stories, to those who have posted already. And to those who have yet to post, feel free to share your story, too.

Now here is our (Ant and D's story), as told through my (Ant's) presepctive:

Our story begins about 10 years ago, where we met each other online in a "writing group" on yahoo groups . The funny thing is that this group doesn't exist anymore, so as to the exact name of the online group where we met, who knows...(or at least I can't remember at the moment)...

Besides our common interest in writing, during that time, we also found out that we had similar medical conditions, so privately, we talked more about that, through yahoo messenger, e-mails, and heck, even through my online diary (by the way, that doesn't exist anymore either). We understood each other, and remained good online friends. So you would think that we would meet in-person then, right? But....

I was under-aged at the time and my husband was over-aged by many years...And that would be a legal no-no...

So we parted our separate ways, as he focused on his life and I focused on mine...

Ok, jump ahead 4 years later, and at this time, we were both legal adults, and had both hit a low point in our lives. I was cleaning out my yahoo messenger list and found his name still on the list. And likewise, he was cleaning out his list, and found my name on the list too. Weird, that we would have each other's name on our lists, but deleted everyone else from it...So we continued from where we left off, and chatted through yahoo messenger and by e-mail as friends, but after awhile decided that we were more than just friends and decided to be boyfriend/girlfriend instead...

It wasn't until several months later, that we decided to meet each other in-person. It turns out that we only lived 300 miles/600 km from each other close to the border, with me being in Ontario, Canada and he being in NYS, USA. So we decided to meet in Canada (as I felt safer meeting where I was), and he drove all the way up to meet me then. Lol...that first meeting was very awkward socially for the both of us (aren't all first meetings awkward anways?), but we still had a good time together. So we decided to meet again and felt more comfortable with each other as we met with each other more often in Canada. Eventually we ended up living with each other part-time for several weeks at a time this way. We continued meeting each other this way for several years, since I had other obligations and could not visit and/or move the USA right away to see him.

Ok, jump ahead another 2 years later, and we joked around the idea about getting married. But....

There was one catch: I had to visit him in the USA...

So several months later, as also mentioned in my VJ timeline:

Chapter 1 "Visited": Ant travelled from Canada to see long-term boyfriend D in the USA. Ant and D being harassed at the USA/Canada border (POE: Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls) for 2 hours was 'not a picnic in the park' for them. The Immigration Officer then made Ant get a B2 Visitor's Visa Passport Stamp and I-94 Arrival-Departure Card to visit for two weeks, even though Canadians are exempt from such requirements. However, what originally was a short visit was instead a 'rainbow crossing over' into a 'lifelong visit' for Ant and D in the USA.

Chapter 2 "Married": Ant and D had a small garden/park spontaneous elopement in the Niagara County Region NYS USA on 2006-04-28. A memorable and lovely occasion, on the eve of D's milestone birthday. D and Ant, as Husband and Wife, happily married and living in the USA. Together Forever!

Now jump ahead another 3 years, and here is where I am now, as also mentioned in my VJ timeline:

Chapter 4/5 "Expected": Ant's Pregnant! AntandD are hoping for a healthy Baby!

Baby's Estimated Due Date (9 months waiting): July 2009

The Journey Continues, Our Story Continues.....

Anyways, thanks for reading our "How did Ant and D meet?" story! Hope you all liked it and found it entertaining....:pop:

Ant (The Journey Continues, Our Story Continues...)

Just wanted to ask everyone how they met :)
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Wow so many neat stories!

My Fiance (Varba on these boards) and I met indirectly on World of Warcraft. We played on the same server, for the same faction but in different guilds. We had never actually met in game. I started chatting on a discussion board that he was also a part of. A few months after I joined the discussion boards we exchanged AIM information. We were both dating someone else at the time and were reletively happy.

Then things went sour, for both of us. We were both there for each other, venting, confiding in each other n stuff. Then just after Christmas 2007 he drove up to visit me.

I play a Dranei Hunter and he plays a Shaman. I just hit level 80 last weekend... DING!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We met on EQ, our servers merged thank god and he joined the same guild i was in. After awhile one thing led to another.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Love your story Ant.... I have to say this WOW talk really confuses me it's like reading Chinese or something LOL but I love all of the online meets.... it's so wonderful how the internet brings people together!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

"Our servers merged"

Ours do that on a regular basis!!! :rofl:

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Wow so many neat stories!

My Fiance (Varba on these boards) and I met indirectly on World of Warcraft. We played on the same server, for the same faction but in different guilds. We had never actually met in game. I started chatting on a discussion board that he was also a part of. A few months after I joined the discussion boards we exchanged AIM information. We were both dating someone else at the time and were reletively happy.

Then things went sour, for both of us. We were both there for each other, venting, confiding in each other n stuff. Then just after Christmas 2007 he drove up to visit me.

I play a Dranei Hunter and he plays a Shaman. I just hit level 80 last weekend... DING!

Congrats!!!

We hit 80 a few weeks ago. Both of us have abandoned our mains and are in love with our Death Knights... <3

"Our servers merged"

Ours do that on a regular basis!!! :rofl:

Merging servers....mmmmmmm :blush: LOL

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi JillA and Everyone,

Thanks JillA...love yours (about meeting in Philly for work) and other VJers stories on this message thread too. Lol..looks like we're one of the only few ones that didn't meet our significant others on WOW. And yes, this WOW talk confuses me too (as I've never played WOW before), like reading Chinese or something (lol...don't even get me started on that one, as I tried learning that language before and still never really got the hang of it). Nevertheless, I still find it interesting that there is something called WOW and other online games and other online forums/boards/groups/services, etc. out there for people to meet each other online with....

Likewise, I still love reading all of your "how did you meet" stories, so keep up the great work, Everyone here on VJ! I agree, where would we be without the technology of the internet these days? The internet certainly has brought so many people together, "Happily Ever After"!

Ant ("Happily Ever After" online...)

P.S. Without the internet and VJ, how else would we be sharing our "how did you meet" stories with each other?...lol....

Love your story Ant.... I have to say this WOW talk really confuses me it's like reading Chinese or something LOL but I love all of the online meets.... it's so wonderful how the internet brings people together!
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I actually met through an online game as well. It's pretty popular, but not as much as WoW. :P We met on Ragnarok Online, but on a private CANADIAN server (do not ask me what he was doing on it.) And since I was the stronger of us, I killed his character repeatably. But anyway, years pasted and we became very good friends and we were always there for each other. :) We were kind of dating in the late summer of 2007, but I wasn't really into it? And don't ask me how it became official. It just happened. :S But we couldn't be happier. <3

Bad side to it all, he is being deployed to Kuwait for a year next month. So we're going to file for the K-1 then :)

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline
My fiance and I actually met through an online game as well. It's pretty popular, but not as much as WoW. :P We met on Ragnarok Online, but on a private CANADIAN server (do not ask me what he was doing on it.) And since I was the stronger of us, I killed his character repeatably. But anyway, years pasted and we became very good friends and we were always there for each other. :) We were kind of dating in the late summer of 2007, but I wasn't really into it? And don't ask me how it became official. It just happened. :S But we couldn't be happier. <3

Bad side to it all, he is being deployed to Kuwait for a year next month. So we're going to file for the K-1 then :)

Ah. I loved RO. I played on the original servers (Loki) until my ex convinced me to get on WoW. I still hop on every once and awhile. Was a cute game.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline
my hubby always feels a little embarrassed that we met online.. but I keep telling him if it wasn't for the internet we probably would never have met...

I think maybe like 10 years ago meeting online was more "taboo" but nowadays, online dating sites are so common no one bats a lid if you tell someone you met your love online!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
my hubby always feels a little embarrassed that we met online.. but I keep telling him if it wasn't for the internet we probably would never have met...

I think maybe like 10 years ago meeting online was more "taboo" but nowadays, online dating sites are so common no one bats a lid if you tell someone you met your love online!!

well we met like 7 years ago and back then it was still a little odd to hear about people who met online..

before it happened to me I thought people were crazy who met online :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
We hit 80 a few weeks ago. Both of us have abandoned our mains and are in love with our Death Knights... <3

LoL Death Knights = Warlock Food :P

I felt the same way for a long time. Mel has changed my mind quite a bit on it, but I still do get a bit embarassed sometimes, especially when the topic of WoW comes up.

Hehe, these stories are great! I'm amazed at how many of us have accidentally fallen in love with people we've met on video games.

My almost-husband and I are both members of an NHL message board, so we said a few words to each other on the board during the Canucks/Stars playoff series in '07, but that was about it. After the series was over, there was a discussion on the board about video games, and I posted my Xbox Gamertag on there, and I eventually received a friend request from him which said something like 'hey, it's so-and-so from the hockey board', so I accepted it. Then one day we were both on Xbox Live at the same time, so I sent him a message to see if he wanted to try a game of NHL 07. It took forever to get the game servers to cooperate long enough to finish an actual game, but we kept trying. He seemed like a cool guy, and I thought his accent was hilarious, so we had a good time talking while his Dallas Stars were beating the ####### out of my Vancouver Canucks. We'd send each other messages through the hockey board to coordinate game times, and eventually he downloaded MSN messenger and we talked on there occasionally. After a while, we were talking pretty much every day, and eventually exchanged phone numbers and stuff. We both thought there was some kind of a spark, but we tried to be realistic about things and just tried to ignore it, but that didn't work very well. Eventually, last spring, I decided to take a road trip for a few weeks to go see him. I figured that if I got there and it felt weird, I would just drive off somewhere else, enjoy the rest of my vacation, and that would be fine. Disappointing, but fine. But of course it wasn't weird at all, and we had a really amazing time together. It was so hard to drive away!! And now here we are, preparing for our wedding on Friday!

lol mine is almost the same as yours. except we both post on a poker forum and play online. i got an xbox and added friends from the board, he was one of them. We started playing GOW nonstop together, i was obviously a sucker for the accent. I guess the only difference about my visit to meet him the first time, i never drove away and got married and hibernated in canada until we got to go to the US. and yes, we're a bit crazy lol

**Sigh** We go to real casinos :lol: Maybe I am out of touch, but you just cannot beat the energy of a real gamble :thumbs:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.