marsh.daveh

Vehicle Importing and Registration into California

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi,

I'm preparing to relocate on a TN-1 Visa for temporary work in California and was wondering if anyone has specific experience driving through the border and registering a car into California?

I know that I need the compliance letter from the manufacturer and based on what I can read the EPA Form 3520-1 waives temporary residents under code 'M'.

The CBP and customs process seems pretty straight forward. Does anyone have any experience with insurers and smog tests?

I spoke with someone from the DMV and she said I needed the Smog Test (successfully!), US customs letter, bill of sale and the cert letter.

Has anyone taken their car to CA and had it smog tested? What cars pass and which ones don't?

Both of my cars are low km 2008's so mechanical condition shouldn't play a factor. One is a Jeep and the other a Mazda 5.

Any comments or words of wisdom? This is only a temp visa so I don't want to go through any mods.

Thanks.

How long is temporary? You might take a look here: http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Can't speak for California, but here are my results for Texas.

1) Crossed the border. They gave me a form and told me to keep it for when I registered later on.

2) Texas inspection/emissions test. They needed insurance in order to do the test. My Canadian insurance was fine. California has way stricter emissions testing than Texas. But a 2008 car will pass no problem. You might not even need an emissions test if it's that new.

3) Registered car with state, got TX plates..... They needed US insurance in order for this to work. Noticed that insurance isn't tied to the license plate here. Signed up for US car insurance even though I still had Canadian license plates. Gave them the form from the border. Gave them a receipt from my inspection/emissions test. A few other forms that they'll tell you you need to fill out. Once that was done, they gave me Texas plates and a sticker. Car was 100% legal at this point.

4) Went and got a Texas driver's license. (I'd have thought this would have been first, but they make you register all your vehicles in TX before you're allowed to get a TX driver's license). California may have different steps for all this stuff. But I don't know.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Can't speak for California, but here are my results for Texas.

1) Crossed the border. They gave me a form and told me to keep it for when I registered later on.

2) Texas inspection/emissions test. They needed insurance in order to do the test. My Canadian insurance was fine. California has way stricter emissions testing than Texas. But a 2008 car will pass no problem. You might not even need an emissions test if it's that new.

3) Registered car with state, got TX plates..... They needed US insurance in order for this to work. Noticed that insurance isn't tied to the license plate here. Signed up for US car insurance even though I still had Canadian license plates. Gave them the form from the border. Gave them a receipt from my inspection/emissions test. A few other forms that they'll tell you you need to fill out. Once that was done, they gave me Texas plates and a sticker. Car was 100% legal at this point.

4) Went and got a Texas driver's license. (I'd have thought this would have been first, but they make you register all your vehicles in TX before you're allowed to get a TX driver's license). California may have different steps for all this stuff. But I don't know.

cali isn't much different than texas. same fiasco, maybe different steps. go online though. DMV for cali is good.

but ya you get a form at the border. i guess they are supposed to make sure you own the car, but where my husband crossed, they didn't bother. They just made sure the car was there (we crossed in maine). but in cali, you gotta have cali insurance before you register....again this is on their website, and they will make you smog it too.

but yeah almost the same as cali, i've done cali and texas lol not much differnet, just easier emmission standards in texas and some parts of california

Edited by wowswift

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

oh i tried to edit before i got cut off, but don't worry about smog. sounds like your cars are new. my car is old and still passes in one of the hardest parts. smog testing isn't so bad lol.

Filed: Timeline

I had my car shipped from Toronto back in 07 with an Alberta plate and here are the steps I went through with registering:

1. Get your car smogged ($25-50). Your car should pass no problem (I have a 99 Subaru and it passed)

2. Go in with the custom paperwork, smog, passport and visa and insurance slip. I was using insurance slip from Alberta and they didn't care (not sure if I got lucky or what)

3. If your vehicle doesn't have the US safe standard sticker (mine didn't so I don't know what it looks like) you can mail in the info later by asking your vehicle manufacture to send you a letter by stating that your vehicle meets US safety standard.

4. To get cheap US insurance I strongly suggest you to get California Driver's license. Also get a driver's abstract from Ontario before you come. My roomate was able to get insurance from State Farm with his Alberta driver's license but the premium was a bit more than Mercury which only insures driver with California license.

I still have my a photo of my California written test, if you want it I can email it to you.

Tip: DMV will probably the second most annoying place you'll be in the US after SSN office, so come prepared. Try to book an appointment online and for whatever reason DO NOT go on the first day of the month if you didn't book an appointment ahead of the time. I've made both mistake and ended up waiting in line for a hour.

You might also want to consider sell your car in Toronto and buy a car in California to save the hassles. I find the cars here are much cheaper than Canada.

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks for the feedback. Your responses echo what I've been able to pull together from other sources. I'm getting the letters from the manufacturer for FMVSS and EPA compliance. I spoke with someone from the DMV technical compliance section and she was helpful and basically outlined what you stated.

The driver abstract is a good suggestion. Thanks. I may also get a copy of the vehicle information package here in Ontario which shows if there are any liens, etc.

The information re ability to pass the smog test is reassuring.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.