allousa

Netflix suggestion for MENA peeps

152 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Good suggestiions! Keep 'em coming.

Saw "7 Pounds" yesterday. You know, I just love Will Smith and I will watch just about anything he does. But if you don't have a prescription for anti-depressants....for the love of happiness, make sure you get some and take them before you watch this movie. It was about the saddest movie I have ever seen. You spend alot of the movie trying to figure out what it is that he is doing, what kind of "plan" he is putting together and when you do, it's just crushing. Like I said, I LOVE Will Smith, but unless you are in an exceptionally happy mood and need a downer....I wouldn't watch this.

So true!!! Me and hubby loved it! I know it's depressing but this is always my favorite kind of drama...something that will leave you thinking way long after the movie is done.

lyrics.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Allousa ~ I agree with you 100% on Seven Pounds ! Thankfully I already had my RX filled :blink: I just finished U.S. vs. John Lennon :angry: I think every American and immigrant should see this one and realize just how thinly veiled our freedoms of press, speech and rights to assemble are !!!

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I've mentioned this movie here before, I think:

"Water" This is one of my all time favorite movies. It's a "Bollywood" director but not one of your typical bollywood films. It took the director over five years to get this film made because of the subject matter. It is a VERY moving film AND it was my introduction to John Abraham, who takes a 2nd place to my husband...is the most gorgeous man to walk this earth!!!!

LOL, very nice looking indeed....did ya know John Abraham is half arab? I believe half Syrian and half Iranian, raised in India <--I'm a MAJOR bollywood fan :D

John24.jpg

Edited by Breeza75

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline
Movies/Documentaries I've seen via Netflix re: Mid East including Iran and India:

Inch'Allah Dimanche-Algeria/France-loved it! the mother in law was great as a miserable, awful nag of a woman.

Leila-Iran-loved it!

Arranged-Jewish/Syrian relations in NY-nice little movie about cultures being alike and different at the same time.

Water-India-Amazingly good! I cried it was so touching.

Children of Heaven-Iran-really touching, I loved it!

The Band's Visit-Egypt/Israel-Ok movie, husband didn't like it since most actors playing Egyptian roles were Palestinian. Quite slow and rather boring.

Heavy Metal in Baghdad-Iraq-Documentary about Iraqi heavy metal band, Acrassacauda...really good!

The Kite Runner-Afghanistan-great movie of course, very touching, ubiquitous.

Waiting for Happiness-Mauritania-Boring, I couldn't watch more than 10 mins of it.

Syriana-US-US/Mid East politics-Great flick and George Clooney...I mean come on.

On deck for future viewing:

Daughters of Keltoum-Algeria

The Color of Paradise-Iran

Monsieur Ibrahim-France-Omar Sharif as Monsieur Ibrahim

(A very good movie)

Kandahar-Afghanistan

Earth-India

Fire-India

Fireworks Wednesday-Iran

The Unwanted Woman-Iran

Earth and Fire are very good movies. Both were directed by Deepa Mehta who also directed Water. She's know for being very controversal. Anyhow, Earth was very interesting to me due to the fact that some of my husbands family are Pakistani and learning partly about why India and Pakistan became seperate, was an eye opener. As for Fire it was very good as well, a little more graphic then I would have liked and for sure more so then any "bollywood" movie I have ever seen.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.....

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Henna, I'll have to add that to the list. :)

Breeza, I never knew about John Abraham until I saw Water. I really had not seen many Bollywood films either until that just happened to cross my path. The instant I saw him in that film, I was like "WHO is that????!!!!!?????". I've never been attracted to men from Indian before. When I googled Mr. Abraham and discovered that his father is Syrian....I was like, okay....this all makes sense now. :lol: I must say, I do think John Abraham is about the most beautiful human being on the face of the Earth....outside of my husband and my cutie pie little boy! :whistle:

I saw Earth as well. I felt like a complete idiot because I had NO IDEA that India had such a violent past. It was definitely a very thought provoking film...as well as Water. Deepa Mehta is an INCREDIBLY talented director. I wish she would gain much more international attention. She is BRILLIANT!!!!!

Water is in my Top Five list of best movies of all time. Very, very, very powerful. It is so outside of what people would classify as a "Bollywood" film.

Has anyone here every watched the movie "Osama"? I have. Just curious about some thoughts.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Breeza, I never knew about John Abraham until I saw Water. I really had not seen many Bollywood films either until that just happened to cross my path. The instant I saw him in that film, I was like "WHO is that????!!!!!?????". I've never been attracted to men from Indian before. When I googled Mr. Abraham and discovered that his father is Syrian....I was like, okay....this all makes sense now. :lol: I must say, I do think John Abraham is about the most beautiful human being on the face of the Earth....outside of my husband and my cutie pie little boy! :whistle:

I saw Earth as well. I felt like a complete idiot because I had NO IDEA that India had such a violent past. It was definitely a very thought provoking film...as well as Water. Deepa Mehta is an INCREDIBLY talented director. I wish she would gain much more international attention. She is BRILLIANT!!!!!

Water is in my Top Five list of best movies of all time. Very, very, very powerful. It is so outside of what people would classify as a "Bollywood" film.

Has anyone here every watched the movie "Osama"? I have. Just curious about some thoughts.

Yes, I watched it a few years ago. It was disturbing to me. I remember thinking that I hope that this is all fictional and this is not really something that would happen in Afghanistan. The ending made me want to vomit. It had me questioning Islam and had my husband upset at me...so yes I REMEMBER!!

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is that where the young girl dresses up as a guy? If I am remembering correctly... don't want to spill too much more for those who haven't seen :whistle:

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Timeline

Yes we have watched it and I also have it. I was saddened all thru the movie. Can't watch it again.

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
We watched The Women last night...I adore Meg Ryan :luv: Hubby left the room (he said watching the Sex in The City movie with me was enough... :devil: ) So my gf and I watched the movie...I really enjoyed it! :star:

Yes I saw that too...I liked it! It was nice and different....did you notice not a single man LOL not even in the back ground!

I don't even dare ask husband to watch a chick flick with me lol I always watch them alone when I know he'll be busy with something else! :thumbs:

lyrics.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.