Ahmed N Cheryl

What are you getting your Mena Man for Valentine's Day???

123 posts in this topic

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

By the way Egypt is the only country celebrates Vday twice a year once in Feb and once in Nov ;) we adore love more i think ;)

Ahmed

For those whose husbands don't get them anything, I'm fairly certain that Vday isn't a traditional holiday in the Middle East, so your hubby's most likely didn't grow up knowing about it or celebrating it, and doesn't understand the meaning that it's taken on in the US.

At this point, I don't understand the purpose of having just one day a year that's supposed to be extra special to show your spouse you love them? You should show each other every day. :star:

Vday is just another way for Hallmark and the florists and chocolate makers to get your hard earned and in short supply these days - cash. :P

*edited for spelling

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

thats funny, I was just thinking I would make a bstilla as well. we havent had one in a while and i know Adnan will be very happy with that as a special dinner. I'll probably get him some really good chocolates too.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
thats funny, I was just thinking I would make a bstilla as well. we havent had one in a while and i know Adnan will be very happy with that as a special dinner. I'll probably get him some really good chocolates too.

I posted a beautiful B'stilla pic in Sultan's Kitchen :thumbs:

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I guess I am not the romantic type because I am going to get my hair done that day. Hey....valentines can be any day if you want, but to schedule that great stylist isn't that easy. :thumbs:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Timeline
I guess I am not the romantic type because I am going to get my hair done that day. Hey....valentines can be any day if you want, but to schedule that great stylist isn't that easy. :thumbs:

:dance: Sounds good to me! I swear I think it should be about "loving YOU too" :P Hair, nails, toes and massages...I'm all for it! SPA DAY PLZZZ!!! :dance:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

:dance: Sounds good to me! I swear I think it should be about "loving YOU too" :P Hair, nails, toes and massages...I'm all for it! SPA DAY PLZZZ!!! :dance:

Now I could go for that...especially a pedicure and massage. :thumbs:

Timeline

I think it would be a fun day for both of us. Both my husband and I have talked about getting massages. And he has mentioned that he would love a pedicure, as long as it was a manly pedicure...lol

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

I think it would be a fun day for both of us. Both my husband and I have talked about getting massages. And he has mentioned that he would love a pedicure, as long as it was a manly pedicure...lol

Sounds like my hubby too...:P Manly pedicure and please no men massaging him! :lol:

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Again we're grinches. We don't celebrate v-day. However, I do take advantage of the sales, and stock up on lovey-dovey presents for other parts of the year :luv:

As Muslims, you're hardly being grinchy by not celebrating a holiday that is Christian in origin. No Muslims should be celebrating it.

For anyone who wants to read on the origins:

link 1

link 2

I am thankful every day for the love my husband and I have for each other, and I always thank Allah for bringing us together. :luv:

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm not sure I will get my husband anything for V-day because I wedding anniversary is so close and the budget is a bit tight. I am looking into getting him one gift to celebrate both days. Hmm, things could change though.

We have a similar situation. Our anniv is the 23rd, as is mom's birthday. We do valentine's dinner with my parents, who have their anniversary that day, Some long time friends of theirs, also married in Feb, come with us, and this year for the first time, my sister has a serious boyfriend, so they are coming too. Give us a few more years and we'll take over the restaurant! :dance:

Then for our anniversary its dinner at Red Lobster. That's about it for celebrating, but nice to look forward to.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Timeline
Again we're grinches. We don't celebrate v-day. However, I do take advantage of the sales, and stock up on lovey-dovey presents for other parts of the year :luv:

As Muslims, you're hardly being grinchy by not celebrating a holiday that is Christian in origin. No Muslims should be celebrating it.

link 1

link 2

I am thankful every day for the love my husband and I have for each other, and I always thank Allah for bringing us together. :luv:

It appears that these links provide theories, but nothing concrete. But I do believe that we have no reason to limit expressing our love for just this one day.

link 1

link 2

It appears that these links provide theories, but nothing concrete. But I do believe that we have no reason to limit expressing our love for just this one day.

Yep...the links provided are theories. It would have been best to provide passages from the Qur'an and the views of many Muslims about the holiday. As it is not permissible for Muslims to join in the celebrations of this date, because we are commanded to differ from other religions, customs and other things that belong exclusively to another religion, as is stated in the Qur'an and Sunnah and scholarly consensus.

As M4E stated, we have no reason to limit expressing our love for just one day. There is no religion which encourages its followers to love and care for one another more than Islam does. This applies at all times and in all circumstances, not just on one particular day. Indeed, Islam encourages us to express our emotions and love at all times, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

Love in Islam is more general and more comprehensive; it is not restricted only to one kind of love, that between a man and a woman. There are many more kinds of love. There is the love of Allah, love of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and his companions (may Allah be pleased with them), love for good and righteous people, etc. There are many kinds of love.

Then again, if we celebrate our love everyday, then wouldn't it make sense to celebrate on Feb. 14th and the days folloing? Hmmm...just a thought. :innocent:

:star: May We All Be Blessed With Happy Love Everyday! :star:

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you for taking the time to put me down and criticize me sister. Very kind of you, and shows the all encompassing love that you speak of.

I merely wanted to point out, for those sisters who might not know, that it wasn't a holiday that is celebrated in Islam. If I had made some big long post, guess what? I would have been criticized for that as well.

I wasn't trying to give a lecture, and I wasn't trying to say I'm better than anyone here, only give some information that might help some people understand that it wasn't an Islamic holiday.

It seems a waste of time here.

I'm sorry I bothered.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.