yalun

NEED ADVICE!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Dear all,

I am very glad to find a community here! We are going through what all of us are going through now, the painful waiting.....I NEED YOUR ADVICE TO FIND THE FASTEST WAY FOR US PLEASE!!

Here is our situation:

2006/11: Met in Paris (He: French and American citizen, Me: Taiwanese and Canadian citizen)

2007/02: Return to Taiwan

2007/03: Married in Taiwan (He with American passport, me with Taiwanese passport)

2008/11: Return to LA and want to settle down.

Now the situation is that we originally planned to file I-130 but we realized that one year apart is WAY TOO MUCH!!

So in order to speed up the thing, we've even considered K1 (because I have Canadian passport and I have not yet registered our marriage in Canada).

But will this be considered fraud because technically we were already married? OR

Another way is to go into US with Canadian passport (as tourist) and get married there and try to change my status after our marriage in US.

Between :

1) file I-130,

2) apply for K-1

3) go in as tourist and get married

CAN YOU, please tell me the pros and cons (time frame, risk level, money-wise)?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Dear all,

I am very glad to find a community here! We are going through what all of us are going through now, the painful waiting.....I NEED YOUR ADVICE TO FIND THE FASTEST WAY FOR US PLEASE!!

Here is our situation:

2006/11: Met in Paris (He: French and American citizen, Me: Taiwanese and Canadian citizen)

2007/03: Married in Taiwan (He with American passport, me with Taiwanese passport)

Now the situation is that we originally planned to file I-130 but we realized that one year apart is WAY TOO MUCH!!

So in order to speed up the thing, we've even considered K1 (because I have Canadian passport and I have not yet registered our marriage in Canada).

But will this be considered fraud because technically we were already married? OR

Another way is to go into US with Canadian passport (as tourist) and get married there and try to change my status after our marriage in US.

Between :

1) file I-130,

2) apply for K-1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

[

Between :

1) file I-130,

2) apply for K-1

Either youFile i-130,i-129

u can come visit him/stay with him in La for 3month using ur Canadian passport.during the processing time.

Hassle may be that u just to keep back n forth from canada to us.

But if i were since, i would file I-130. Coz down the road, the truth will always pop up.and u dont wanna have problem with Uscis.

1yr is not that long, considering others who are much farther apart than canada n us.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Here is your situation:

==>so till 2009/03, you two will be married for two years, that means once you pass the interview, you can have Permanent Green Card in stead of Conditional Green Card. this is an advantage to you. Also, since you have been married so long, I believe you can provide plenty of evidences to prove your relationship and marriage is truth. So your case should be very easy.

I agree you go for filing I-130, and once you file your application, you are allowed to stay US lawfully, you two don't need to be apart, just make sure the USCIS receive your application and send you a letter with your recipt number. Usually it only take less than a month to receive the letter from USCIS after you file. You can even apply EAD (employment authorization) for you to work here, and Advance Parole to travel outside US.

K1 is for an foreign who is not in America to come here to get marry. If you check the data on this website, you will see the Average Total Days to Interview of K1 is 232 days. It takes much longer than I-130 which averagely takes 6 months or sooner to get the green card. If you file K1, you have to be outside US and wait for their approval to come US to marry, then after you get marry here, you have to file I-130 to change your status. So why waste time to go back to K1? You have been married almost two years.

No matter which way you chose to go, DO NOT ever lie to USCIS, you will be in big trouble and may not get your Green Card/Citizenship here forever if they find out you are not telling the truth.

Between :

1) file I-130,

2) apply for K-1

For all the considerations of time frame, risk level, money-wise, I-130 will be the best way for you. Just start to prepare all the necesssary documents, get your English marriage certificate from Taiwan, and all the evidences that can prove your marriage exist, and submit your application ASAP. Before you submit your application, you can come into US with Canadian passport as tourist, but after you submit your application of change status, you will need Advance Parole to travel instead.

Here is the other way, I read this website and some people share their experience about getting Green Card in Taiwan, they said it's quicker than you do it here. So may be you want to go browse it if you're interested in. But that's about couple years ago and I am sure if it still works now, so you'd better make sure before you do it.

http://verywed.com/forum/read.php?f=5&...042&t=17042

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.