HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

New topic .. new question ... hoping somebody can help me out here...

What is yogurt milk ? ... and what do they call it in America?

On has been looking for this, but I have no idea what she's talking about. (not buttermilk, tried that. nope)

Most of the drinking yogurts here are not like the ones in Thailand. She's probably talking about Yakult.

Ask her if this is what she wants: นมเเปรี้ยวยาคูลท์

If so, it's hard to find it here, though you might be able to get it in an Asian grocery store.

http://www.yakult.co.jp/

If not, go to Walmart and find "Bio Salud!" by El Viajero. It's as close are you can get.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10402773

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I get YA COOL ( mexican yakult.. like the women sell in the morning that comes in those small bottles in bkk) from a hispanic store in my city. Its like a buck for 6 bottles.

1001.jpg

Edited by ashbee

Timeline
Let me ask a question.

Did anyone here pay sin sot?

Get this- my future mother in law, whom I love and have a great relationship with, is making me pay 200k. BUT.. to keep up "appearances", shes putting 1mil baht out on display! Hahaha.. you gotta love Bangkokians.

I'm assuming we have a 85% shot at getting all the cash back after the ceremony.

But i'm wondering, is anyone else going through this?

Kinda your call I guess. My ex tried to hit me up for 300k. I didn't pay any sin sod for my current marriage. I do send her parents money whenever they ask. It's never alot. Maybe 5k baht every couple months.

I've seen people get totally scammed. Buying cars etc. The usual Thai tradition is to pay it. 1 million whether for display or not, is alot. Kinda depends on her education, family etc. They do, do that with the gold and the money etc. at the ceremony and give it back. It's all about appearances.

I'm pretty jaded about all this. I would tell them when she is on US soil, the money will be forthcoming. Not trying to be negative, but I lived there for 3 years and saw some pretty weird things.

I mean i suppose its not a big deal. It's not like we will ever have to send them money for anything, save an economic catastrophe (fingers crossed). It's just funny to me how that was the first thing that came out of her mouth when we talked about marriage. I also lived in there (Bkk+Phuket) for 6 years and saw plenty of people get DONE IN by sin sot.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Let me ask a question.

Get this- my future mother in law, whom I love and have a great relationship with, is making me pay 200k. BUT.. to keep up "appearances", shes putting 1mil baht out on display! Hahaha.. you gotta love Bangkokians.

I'm assuming we have a 85% shot at getting all the cash back after the ceremony.

Kinda your call I guess. My ex tried to hit me up for 300k. I didn't pay any sin sod for my current marriage. I do send her parents money whenever they ask. It's never alot. Maybe 5k baht every couple months.

I've seen people get totally scammed. Buying cars etc. The usual Thai tradition is to pay it. 1 million whether for display or not, is alot. Kinda depends on her education, family etc. They do, do that with the gold and the money etc. at the ceremony and give it back. It's all about appearances.

I'm pretty jaded about all this. I would tell them when she is on US soil, the money will be forthcoming. Not trying to be negative, but I lived there for 3 years and saw some pretty weird things.

I mean i suppose its not a big deal. It's not like we will ever have to send them money for anything, save an economic catastrophe (fingers crossed). It's just funny to me how that was the first thing that came out of her mouth when we talked about marriage. I also lived in there (Bkk+Phuket) for 6 years and saw plenty of people get DONE IN by sin sot.

You're gonna send money there. It wont be alot, but be prepared for it.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
Let me ask a question.

I don't know. If the past is anything to go off of, would be willing to bet big money it will be the other way around.

Timeline
Let me ask a question.

I don't know. If the past is anything to go off of, would be willing to bet big money it will be the other way around.

Laugh. If you're getting money sent to the US from Thailand, they will build a statue of you in Udon Thani.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
Let me ask a question.

Laugh. If you're getting money sent to the US from Thailand, they will build a statue of you in Udon Thani.

Tsk tsk... my friend you assume my girl is from Isaan. She (we) are Bangkok people. But since you bring it up, the first time we all traveled abroad together, her family sprung for the bill. The same was true when they came to visit us in Dubai.

As i'm sure noone needs to tell you, Thailand is crazily dualistic. This is just another example of it.

Timeline
Let me ask a question.

Tsk tsk... my friend you assume my girl is from Isaan. She (we) are Bangkok people. But since you bring it up, the first time we all traveled abroad together, her family sprung for the bill. The same was true when they came to visit us in Dubai.

As i'm sure noone needs to tell you, Thailand is crazily dualistic. This is just another example of it.

tsk tsk me all you want. The exception, not the rule.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Let me ask a question.

It's funny... and it's just the opposite of here, too. A lot of these folks are government employees, university faculty, or Thai Army officers. My father in law didn't build his house, his battalion did... lol

Yeah, but it's not THAT much of an exception. Look at how may students are at ABAC or UTCC. Or studying abroad. It's not a small number. Someone's buying those exotic cars in Paragon.

Timeline
Let me ask a question.

It's funny... and it's just the opposite of here, too. A lot of these folks are government employees, university faculty, or Thai Army officers. My father in law didn't build his house, his battalion did... lol

Laugh true! I wont forget seeing the entire battallion on the street when the King's car went by on Viphadi Rangsit road. I thought that was pretty cool. Major traffic jam, but pretty cool none the less.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

Yeah, but it's not THAT much of an exception. Look at how may students are at ABAC or UTCC. Or studying abroad. It's not a small number. Someone's buying those exotic cars in Paragon.

It is an exception. What percentage of people that walk in there asking for J1 B1/B2 etc. actually get it? It's pretty low. If they can buy a car at Paragon or anything on that street, they will get it. All about money in the bank for B1/B2. It's all about the family and the Baht.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

It is an exception. What percentage of people that walk in there asking for J1 B1/B2 etc. actually get it? It's pretty low. If they can buy a car at Paragon or anything on that street, they will get it. All about money in the bank for B1/B2. It's all about the family and the Baht.

I agree that it is an exception, but there are a LOT of wealthy Thais. In addition to the government jobs I mentioned, many of the rich ones are ethnic Chinese merchants. One of them gave my wife a 45k baht pair of diamond earrings (from his shop) for a wedding gift. He wasn't even a relative. Thinking back, I couldn't believe the generosity of the guests at the wedding. Americans are nowhere near as generous with gifts.

Timeline

I agree that it is an exception, but there are a LOT of wealthy Thais. In addition to the government jobs I mentioned, many of the rich ones are ethnic Chinese merchants. One of them gave my wife a 45k baht pair of diamond earrings (from his shop) for a wedding gift. He wasn't even a relative. Thinking back, I couldn't believe the generosity of the guests at the wedding. Americans are nowhere near as generous with gifts.

Yeah Americans are cheap. She probably got that down on "New road" Charoaen Krung I think. My ex niece is from down there. Be careful of the Thai/Chinese down there.

Hey we agree on something!

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Yeah Americans are cheap. She probably got that down on "New road" Charoaen Krung I think. My ex niece is from down there. Be careful of the Thai/Chinese down there.

Hey we agree on something!

haha... finally.

That's the Chinatown gold district. We got the sin sot gold there. Actually the guy that gave her the earrings recommended a place; he doesn't specialize in gold. But his shop is in the Siam Commercial Bank building.

The prices in Chinatown were all about the same, but the workmanship of the gold varied a lot. We really liked the stuff in that shop. I can't remember the name, though. It had a green sign. Most of the signs in the gold district are red.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.