Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

who charges the departure tax ,is that part of the ticket because with continental I paid part of that and wonder if I have to pay again ?

In hindsight, I remember purchasing a generic one-way ticket from COPA Airlines, and it did not include the departure tax. Leidys told me that she had to pay the extra money at the ticketing counter.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

who charges the departure tax ,is that part of the ticket because with continental I paid part of that and wonder if I have to pay again ?

If Continental charged you $35 USD, you shouldn't need to pay anything else... I often travel on Continental/Copa and have never paid additonal Sales Tax... It seems the only time you pay exit tax is when you purchase your ticket on a foriegn carrier such as direct with Copa, Avianca, AeroLiteral, or someone like that.. You can usually confirm the taxes by calling the Airline..

Kenny

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If Continental charged you $35 USD, you shouldn't need to pay anything else... I often travel on Continental/Copa and have never paid additonal Sales Tax... It seems the only time you pay exit tax is when you purchase your ticket on a foriegn carrier such as direct with Copa, Avianca, AeroLiteral, or someone like that.. You can usually confirm the taxes by calling the Airline..

Kenny

Something I learned from my ticket purchase for her/my trip next month... In the past, when I bought my round-trip tickets, Jetblue always collected my exit tax and included it in the ticket price. They told me that since I purchased all one-way trips for this trip, the departure tax would be collected upon departure in Bogota. Something to do with the tax being dependent on the amount of time you have been in Colombia. Because they are aware of your total time in Colombia on a R/T ticket ahead of time (barring any changes in itinerary), they can collect it for those R/T fares. But, for one-way ticket purchases, they make no such assumptions and leave it to the day of the departure flight.

Best to check directly with the airline (and it wouldn't hurt to have sufficient COPs on hand either, just in case.)

Personally, I'm counting on the $66 USD tax for her (in Colombia > 60 days) and the $33 USD tax for me (in Colombia < 60 days) but I'll have more than that ready in COP. The worst that can happen is we'll bring back a couple 100 thousand COPs and use them later on a future trip.

Good luck this week, Kenny. Hope everything (the weather) goes well for you guys.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Timeline

Something I learned from my ticket purchase for her/my trip next month... In the past, when I bought my round-trip tickets, Jetblue always collected my exit tax and included it in the ticket price. They told me that since I purchased all one-way trips for this trip, the departure tax would be collected upon departure in Bogota. Something to do with the tax being dependent on the amount of time you have been in Colombia. Because they are aware of your total time in Colombia on a R/T ticket ahead of time (barring any changes in itinerary), they can collect it for those R/T fares. But, for one-way ticket purchases, they make no such assumptions and leave it to the day of the departure flight.

Best to check directly with the airline (and it wouldn't hurt to have sufficient COPs on hand either, just in case.)

Personally, I'm counting on the $66 USD tax for her (in Colombia > 60 days) and the $33 USD tax for me (in Colombia < 60 days) but I'll have more than that ready in COP. The worst that can happen is we'll bring back a couple 100 thousand COPs and use them later on a future trip.

Good luck this week, Kenny. Hope everything (the weather) goes well for you guys.

Thanks everyone for the info ill make sure she has extra

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The total price of my husband's one-way ticket included the exit tax but when we go to El Dorado, they forced us to pay it again. I didn't have to pay for mine but they gave us a stupid rehearsed script about him having to pay it because it was the first time he was leaving the US with a resident visa. So it's best to go prepared.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

The total price of my husband's one-way ticket included the exit tax but when we go to El Dorado, they forced us to pay it again. I didn't have to pay for mine but they gave us a stupid rehearsed script about him having to pay it because it was the first time he was leaving the US with a resident visa. So it's best to go prepared.

Diana

Diana (or anyone else who knows),

I do have a question about this exit tax process at El Dorado...

As I mentioned, mine has always been included in my round-trip ticket purchase. My first stop in El Dorado when leaving has always been at the window to get the exit tax exemption stamp. Is this where the exit tax would be paid also? Or, is it at the airline check-in counter? I can't say that I've ever seen anyone at that first window actually paying anything but on my past trips, I also haven't paid any attention to what others were doing so I'm not sure where it would be paid.

In any event, I'll be ready to pay upon departure since I'm expecting to pay anyhow.

Thanks

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Good Morning!

I put a couple of my wedding pics up on my profile! it was simple but beautiful :) i will put more up then! have a wonderful day Colombia Club!

Beautiful photos. You both are so happy. May you be forever so.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Or, is it at the airline check-in counter?

After they key your info into the Ticketing Computer, you will be told about taxes that you have to pay for the airport. Just like Kenny says, the ticketing counter personnel will tell you exactly what you need to pay.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Timeline

After they key your info into the Ticketing Computer, you will be told about taxes that you have to pay for the airport. Just like Kenny says, the ticketing counter personnel will tell you exactly what you need to pay.

Works for me!

Thanks guys..

Truth is, I still have no idea exactly what's going on when I leave Colombia, I just know what routine I usually follow and that this one will be different. Oh, and that trips to Colombia fill up the passport pages really fast. :lol:

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Works for me!

Thanks guys..

Truth is, I still have no idea exactly what's going on when I leave Colombia, I just know what routine I usually follow and that this one will be different. Oh, and that trips to Colombia fill up the passport pages really fast. :lol:

I had to request additional pages for my passport. I've given it a rest this year and probably won't need to use it much next year. God willing.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Timeline

I had to request additional pages for my passport. I've given it a rest this year and probably won't need to use it much next year. God willing.

Yup. Been there done that... I had to go to the US Embassy in Trinidad & Tobago to get mine added..

I'm in Medellin, So far so good, tomorrow POE!!

Edited by kennym

Timeline

Diana (or anyone else who knows),

I do have a question about this exit tax process at El Dorado...

As I mentioned, mine has always been included in my round-trip ticket purchase. My first stop in El Dorado when leaving has always been at the window to get the exit tax exemption stamp. Is this where the exit tax would be paid also? Or, is it at the airline check-in counter? I can't say that I've ever seen anyone at that first window actually paying anything but on my past trips, I also haven't paid any attention to what others were doing so I'm not sure where it would be paid.

In any event, I'll be ready to pay upon departure since I'm expecting to pay anyhow.

Thanks

My experience as a US citizen and my husband as a permanent resident, is that we have not had to pay the exit tax when we travel to Colombia because it is always included in the final price of our tickets. However, the first time he left Colombia through El Dorado airport with a CR1 visa, they told him that he HAD to pay it because he was not a permanent resident nor US citizen. I found it fishy to be honest with you because no one at AA could give me an explanation of why my husband's ticket price had the exit fee on it which I demanded be refunded to me but never did. But again, because you're ready to leave, the gate's already open and you have to fly out of Colombia, you have no choice than go pay it (again) so they can let you leave the country.

And that my friends is how things are run in Colombia! :wacko:

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Good Morning!

I put a couple of my wedding pics up on my profile! it was simple but beautiful :) i will put more up then! have a wonderful day Colombia Club!

Love the pics!!!! :thumbs: Congratulations. :luv:

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.