Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Anyone know, how long does it take to get these 2 documents from DAS...

• REGISTROS DE INMIGRACION
  • CERTIFICADO DEL DAS

My Fiancee lives in Medellin

Is an appointment required? How dificult is to make an appointment?

Once the document is requested, how long does it take to receive it?

I wonder if I can send in the 1-134, DS156, DS156K, DS230 now and start the ball rolling on getting our appointment while we wait on these 2 documents.. We have everything else, including all birth certificates, Police Certificate, passports, my financial docs, Tax Returns and Transcripts, Paystubs, Employment Letter... I really would like to get the appointment scheduled, but we don't know if we're jumping the gun waiting for the DAS Documents..

Thanks again all..

Kennyn, she needs 'Registros de inmigracion'? because this document is for applicants who have been denied admission to the United States, requested extensions, changed status, applied for asylum, been deported. It is different from "Certificado del DAS" (Entries and exits to and from Colombia for the past 10 years) this document take 1 week

appointment package

We can all make a difference. Please recycle

por favor no escribas en mayúsculas sostenidas, eso equivale a GRITAR

crazy-cats.jpg

Timeline

Anyone know, how long does it take to get these 2 documents from DAS...

• REGISTROS DE INMIGRACION
  • CERTIFICADO DEL DAS

My Fiancee lives in Medellin

Is an appointment required? How dificult is to make an appointment?

Once the document is requested, how long does it take to receive it?

I wonder if I can send in the 1-134, DS156, DS156K, DS230 now and start the ball rolling on getting our appointment while we wait on these 2 documents.. We have everything else, including all birth certificates, Police Certificate, passports, my financial docs, Tax Returns and Transcripts, Paystubs, Employment Letter... I really would like to get the appointment scheduled, but we don't know if we're jumping the gun waiting for the DAS Documents..

Thanks again all..

Kennym my fiance also lives in Medellin and what he did to get those documents was go to the DAS office,your fiancee should know where this is at in Medellin. all they ask for at the interview are the certificado migratorio y el certificado judicial. my fiance when to the DAS office and he asked what he had to do and they told him he had to write a letter they explain and they can also do it for your and they charge you like 5 dollars for it and than once you have everything ready you can go back and take the letter and you also have to go pay at the certificate at banco de bogota and take the recipt and than they will give you the option that you can pick up the certificates in Medellin or you can pick them up in Bogota's DAS office once you go for the interview. if she wants to pick it up in Medellin it takes about 8-10 days for her to receive. this are the phone numbers for the DAS offices in medellin have her call and ask so they can give her more info if she is confused (57-4) 3405800/3405809. goodluck!

Edited by bramirez04

Timeline

Kennyn, she needs 'Registros de inmigracion'? because this document is for applicants who have been denied admission to the United States, requested extensions, changed status, applied for asylum, been deported. It is different from "Certificado del DAS" (Entries and exits to and from Colombia for the past 10 years) this document take 1 week

appointment package

♫ yakad ♫

Hello, Thank you very much for all your wonderful help...

I did not realize the document was not needed.. Then she only needs "Certificado del DAS"??

Does she need an appointment.. She tells me it's very dificult to call them to make an appointment...

Is there a better method to get an appointment?

Thank you'

Kenny

Timeline

Kennym my fiance also lives in Medellin and what he did to get those documents was go to the DAS office,your fiancee should know where this is at in Medellin. all they ask for at the interview are the certificado migratorio y el certificado judicial. my fiance when to the DAS office and he asked what he had to do and they told him he had to write a letter they explain and they can also do it for your and they charge you like 5 dollars for it and than once you have everything ready you can go back and take the letter and you also have to go pay at the certificate at banco de bogota and take the recipt and than they will give you the option that you can pick up the certificates in Medellin or you can pick them up in Bogota's DAS office once you go for the interview. if she wants to pick it up in Medellin it takes about 8-10 days for her to receive. this are the phone numbers for the DAS offices in medellin have her call and ask so they can give her more info if she is confused (57-4) 3405800/3405809. goodluck!

Thank you for your reply

Did your fiance need an appointment? or did he go to DAS and request it in person?

Thanks

Kenny

Timeline

Thank you for your reply

Did your fiance need an appointment? or did he go to DAS and request it in person?

Thanks

Kenny

no he went in person and they explained everything to him and then he went back with everything he needed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks

We were thinking it would be ok, but didn't want to end up at our appointment without these documents.. Hopefully it's quick...

Send the DS-230 and DS-2100 to schedule your interview. The I-134 and DS-156K is needed for the interview. Have your fiancee call the DAS office first to find out what she needs to bring (i.e documents, passport photos, etc.)

K-1 Timeline

08-10-2007 - We first met

05-08-2009 - I proposed

12-01-2009 - 129F sent

12-04-2009 - NOA-1

12-12-2009 - NOA-1 hardcopy received

03-15-2010 - NOA-2 101 days

03-17-2010 - NVC received petition

03-18-2010 - NVC sent petition to embassy

03-20-2010 - NOA-2 hardcopy received

03-25-2010 - Embassy received petition

03-25-2010 - Embassy mailed out Packet 3

04-09-2010 - Received Packet 3 in the mail

04-12-2010 - Packet 3 faxed to embassy

06-17-2010 - INTERVIEW

06-17-2010 - VISA APPROVED!!!

07-17-2010 - POE in Miami

09-25-2010 - Wedding date!

AOS Timeline

11-03-2010 - Express mailed AOS packet via USPS

11-05-2010 - Chicago Lockbox received packet

11-18-2010 - Received notice for Biometrics appointment

12-13-2010 - Biometrics appointment

12-15-2010 - Petition transferred to CSC

01-27-2011 - Received AP and EAD card in the mail

02-07-2011 - Case transferred to National Benefits Center in Missouri from CSC

02-15-2011 - Received interview letter in the mail dated for March 22nd

03-22-2011 - AOS interview date

03-22-2011 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!

03-30-2011 - Received green card in the mail.

Filed: Timeline

The forth name (mother's maiden name)-- We did not include on all forms. We just used my fiancee's father's name on most of the forms where aksed "last name". Her passort gives the entire name (all 4) including here mother's maiden name. One early form asked for her mother's maiden name. The I-129F related 'Notices' all omitted the mother's maiden name.

Question: will this be a problem for our August 25th interview--the passort including the mother's maiden name, and not very form we have so for and will be submitting including that 4th name? Should we hand in a simple cover letter explanation with her documents folder at the interview? Or should I not be concerned?

Thank you

The forth name (mother's maiden name)-- We did not include on all forms. We just used my fiancee's father's name on most of the forms where aksed "last name". Her passort gives the entire name (all 4) including here mother's maiden name. One early form asked for her mother's maiden name. The I-129F related 'Notices' all omitted the mother's maiden name.

Question: will this be a problem for our August 25th interview--the passort including the mother's maiden name, and not very form we have so for and will be submitting including that 4th name? Should we hand in a simple cover letter explanation with her documents folder at the interview? Or should I not be concerned?

Thank you

I think that you should at the least start using both apellidos (last names) on your visa application. The instructions for the K visa appointment state "Passport biographic information, including name and date of birth, must exactly match applicant's civil documents." Everyone in Colombia has 2 apellidos and the second one is important in identifying a person.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Actually, the only last name that counts in the US is the father's last name regardless of whether they use it in Colombia or not. So in all forms from now on you need to include her FIRST name, MIDDLE name or initial and FATHER'S last name which is also her family name. Her mother's name is non-existent and doesn't count.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Actually, the only last name that counts in the US is the father's last name regardless of whether they use it in Colombia or not. So in all forms from now on you need to include her FIRST name, MIDDLE name or initial and FATHER'S last name which is also her family name. Her mother's name is non-existent and doesn't count.

Diana

We're not quite there yet but this is good info to know ahead of time...

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Timeline

Another question: Can a USC go to the embassy (in a general sense) w/o an appointment? I only ask because I will be there in a couple weeks for a visit and will have quite a bit of free time on my hands during the day while she's at work. I was thinking of heading over that way just to check it out ahead of time to familiarize myself with the neighborhood, i.e. what's close by, hotels, restaurants, etc. If I could pay a visit, just to check it out, I would. If not, no big deal.

Also, does anyone happen to know why the ability to edit your own post sometimes disappears?

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Timeline

Hey Ryan

Most Embassy's allow USC's to stop in, usually for specific services.. Not sure if you have plans to speak to anyone in particular, but keep in mind all embassies have two sections, Embassy and Counsulate, the Embassy handles items specific to USC's such as crisis of americans while traveling, passport issues, notory services, and other US services.. The Counsulate usually takes care of issues related to that countries citizens such as visas and so forth..

Chances are, you wont be able to enter the Embassy or Counsulate without have specific intentions.. Especially if you intend to speak to anyone..

Check out their website and see if there is a way to visit..

Hope you have a good time and still waiting to hear good news about your petition...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Another question: Can a USC go to the embassy (in a general sense) w/o an appointment? I only ask because I will be there in a couple weeks for a visit and will have quite a bit of free time on my hands during the day while she's at work. I was thinking of heading over that way just to check it out ahead of time to familiarize myself with the neighborhood, i.e. what's close by, hotels, restaurants, etc. If I could pay a visit, just to check it out, I would. If not, no big deal.

Also, does anyone happen to know why the ability to edit your own post sometimes disappears?

You only have a minute or two to edit your post.

K-1 Timeline

08-10-2007 - We first met

05-08-2009 - I proposed

12-01-2009 - 129F sent

12-04-2009 - NOA-1

12-12-2009 - NOA-1 hardcopy received

03-15-2010 - NOA-2 101 days

03-17-2010 - NVC received petition

03-18-2010 - NVC sent petition to embassy

03-20-2010 - NOA-2 hardcopy received

03-25-2010 - Embassy received petition

03-25-2010 - Embassy mailed out Packet 3

04-09-2010 - Received Packet 3 in the mail

04-12-2010 - Packet 3 faxed to embassy

06-17-2010 - INTERVIEW

06-17-2010 - VISA APPROVED!!!

07-17-2010 - POE in Miami

09-25-2010 - Wedding date!

AOS Timeline

11-03-2010 - Express mailed AOS packet via USPS

11-05-2010 - Chicago Lockbox received packet

11-18-2010 - Received notice for Biometrics appointment

12-13-2010 - Biometrics appointment

12-15-2010 - Petition transferred to CSC

01-27-2011 - Received AP and EAD card in the mail

02-07-2011 - Case transferred to National Benefits Center in Missouri from CSC

02-15-2011 - Received interview letter in the mail dated for March 22nd

03-22-2011 - AOS interview date

03-22-2011 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!

03-30-2011 - Received green card in the mail.

Timeline

Thanks Kenny.

Really, I just want to use my free time to scope out, firsthand, places nearby to stay nearby. Even though she lives in Bogotá, I think it's best if the only mode of transportation we have to rely on is our own feet. We don't want any traffic jams (seen plenty), transportation strikes (been there for one), etc. on interview day. Being able to visit the embassy, much like people visit the US Capitol, would only be a "touristy" thing to do to waste time.. As I said, no big deal at all...

You only have a minute or two to edit your post.

Thanks. I could never figure out why sometimes I could and other times no..

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.