flax

Lady getting married, will travel. Helps!

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Yeap, if the plan is to get married, and then return to home country, there is NO FRAUD whatsoever, and this option is perfectly legal. I did it myself and the interviewer at the consulate didn't even bat an eyelash about it.

I have never made it through the US customs gate as a Canadian citizen. When I have entered other countries they have always made me fill out a form. They then ask me what is my purpose in visiting. Are you asked why you are entering and did you say it was to get married? How should this person respond if asked the same question at the border? Certainly you are not saying they should lie to the border guard.... "I wasn't asked" doesn't mean someone else won't be questioned.

If you enter as a visitor/tourist but were actually here to get married that isn't being fraudulent because you are Canadian?

After marriage do you cross the border without mentioning you are married to a USC? If asked do you say you are visiting your husband/wife? How about if this comes up at an interview would you lie or is there no fraud so you would tell the truth? I am thinking of this person and others reading it. I am also curious about the answers.

It's funny people used to use bongs to smoke weed and thought everything was fine with it until the crackdown happened during Bush. People like Tommy Chong went to jail. This reminds me of that. People are used to getting away with something so they have become numb to the consequences or is there some treaty agreement with Canada I don't know about? - J

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif7.gifTTT725325v80m0346dj.gif

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Intent to immigrate as a visiting Canadian (or any other visitor) is what is illegal. You are allowed to come to the US intending to get married as long as you aren't intending to stay. Since she is going to go home after the wedding and file for a CR-1, her plan is legal.

The hard part is convincing the border patrol officer that you really will leave after the wedding. All that can be done is to have evidence of strong ties to Canada.

I hope that clarifies things.

~ Catherine

Edited by BermyCat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We dont have to have a visa to enter the country so there is no form when crossing at the boarder (only when flying in and then its just a customs form) and if they ask you can simply say you are going to a wedding. If they probe deeper, you can say exactly what was just said here "I'm going to the states to get married and coming back to file CR-1". if you provide evidence of work, morgage, rent etc then its usually not an issue. Canada isn't a high fraud country so they don't usually question us too bad, and no, simply going to the states to get married isn't illegal. A lot of candians have done it this way with absolutely no issues at any point of the game, including at their interviews. On the way back to Canada you are dealing with Canadian border guards and saying you were there to get married is more likely to have a reaction of "omg! thats so wonderful congrats" than having any type of issue. None of us are doing anything fraudulent, none of us would dream of giving our fellow canadians wrong advice, so please stop trying to make it sound like we have no idea what we are doing or what is legal/illegal.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeap, if the plan is to get married, and then return to home country, there is NO FRAUD whatsoever, and this option is perfectly legal. I did it myself and the interviewer at the consulate didn't even bat an eyelash about it.

I have never made it through the US customs gate as a Canadian citizen. When I have entered other countries they have always made me fill out a form. They then ask me what is my purpose in visiting. Are you asked why you are entering and did you say it was to get married? How should this person respond if asked the same question at the border? Certainly you are not saying they should lie to the border guard.... "I wasn't asked" doesn't mean someone else won't be questioned.

If you enter as a visitor/tourist but were actually here to get married that isn't being fraudulent because you are Canadian?

After marriage do you cross the border without mentioning you are married to a USC? If asked do you say you are visiting your husband/wife? How about if this comes up at an interview would you lie or is there no fraud so you would tell the truth? I am thinking of this person and others reading it. I am also curious about the answers.

It's funny people used to use bongs to smoke weed and thought everything was fine with it until the crackdown happened during Bush. People like Tommy Chong went to jail. This reminds me of that. People are used to getting away with something so they have become numb to the consequences or is there some treaty agreement with Canada I don't know about? - J

Hi,

It actually has about zero to do with being a Canadian. As others have mentioned, getting married in the United States is not illegal.

As for your second question - after marriage people cross the border all the time. It is completely up to the U.S. border guard at the POE to decide if they think you are crossing the border with any intention other than a visit. Of course you should say you are married and of course you should bring proof of ties to Canada.

I don't understand your bong/smoking week analogy at all. Drugs are illegal in Canada and the U.S. - getting married is not.

Timeline
memoryerror.png

lawl. :thumbs:

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Hi,

It actually has about zero to do with being a Canadian. As others have mentioned, getting married in the United States is not illegal.

As for your second question - after marriage people cross the border all the time. It is completely up to the U.S. border guard at the POE to decide if they think you are crossing the border with any intention other than a visit. Of course you should say you are married and of course you should bring proof of ties to Canada.

I don't understand your bong/smoking week analogy at all. Drugs are illegal in Canada and the U.S. - getting married is not.

Getting married here is not illegal for anyone. It is the person's intention when crossing the border which I had questions about. I was not aware that Canadians were given a pass for marriage without having to obtain a visa. I still think that is shoddy advice. I did read an earlier poster saying don't show up in your wedding dress. I wanted to explore why that was the case. Their response seems to have been given a pass as well.

People were arrested here for selling and making bongs. Those are items used to smoke the marijuana. They were openly sold and promoted to smoke tobacco, in fact the items were used for illegal drugs. The DEA decided to close the loophole (actually enforce the laws). They arrested hundreds of people and destroyed the industry built around making and selling them. I wondered if planning to enter the US to get married without a visa was something Canadians had got used to but were actually breaking the immigration laws.

This passage seems to be contrary to the responses being given. At the very least it will demonstrate why I have questions about the responses being given.

"Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens do not need to obtain a visa in advance in order to apply for admission to the United States. A passport is not required to enter the U.S. except after a visit outside the Western Hemisphere. The only exceptions to the general visa waiver policy are for those individuals entering the U.S. as treaty traders or investors, as the fiance of a U.S. citizen or as immigrants. All travelers should be prepared to present documentary evidence of identity, citizenship, and (if applicable) resident status in Canada."

http://ottawa.usembassy.gov/content/conten...nadian_citizens

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

Timeline

What's your point - please speak plainly? Is it that people from other countries are treated worse and more unfairly than Canadians?

Timeline

Yep, while on a visit, got married, and soon after left! And yeppers, I told them EXACTLY what they asked. Always told the truth. I did this monthly for 6 months with never a problem

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Hi,

Getting married here is not illegal for anyone. It is the person's intention when crossing the border which I had questions about. I was not aware that Canadians were given a pass for marriage without having to obtain a visa. I still think that is shoddy advice. I did read an earlier poster saying don't show up in your wedding dress. I wanted to explore why that was the case. Their response seems to have been given a pass as well.

People were arrested here for selling and making bongs. Those are items used to smoke the marijuana. They were openly sold and promoted to smoke tobacco, in fact the items were used for illegal drugs. The DEA decided to close the loophole (actually enforce the laws). They arrested hundreds of people and destroyed the industry built around making and selling them. I wondered if planning to enter the US to get married without a visa was something Canadians had got used to but were actually breaking the immigration laws.

This passage seems to be contrary to the responses being given. At the very least it will demonstrate why I have questions about the responses being given.

"Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens do not need to obtain a visa in advance in order to apply for admission to the United States. A passport is not required to enter the U.S. except after a visit outside the Western Hemisphere. The only exceptions to the general visa waiver policy are for those individuals entering the U.S. as treaty traders or investors, as the fiance of a U.S. citizen or as immigrants. All travelers should be prepared to present documentary evidence of identity, citizenship, and (if applicable) resident status in Canada."

If it is the persons intent to get married to circumvent immigration rules yes. If it is the persons intent to get married, go back to their country and file the paperwork, then there is no issue. It is this way for every county, the problem mainly being that a lot of the countries have high fraud rates and have a hard enough time getting a visitors visa. If someone from Britain was planning the same thing, there would also be no issue.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline
What's your point - please speak plainly? Is it that people from other countries are treated worse and more unfairly than Canadians?

I believe the same immigration laws are there for Canadians as any other country. I don't know as I am not Canadian and raised some questions.

The latest response would seem to validate your point that Canadians are treated differently. I am used to hearing others who say they were given a visitor visa but were turned away because they told the officers they were visiting their fiance. There was no planning to get married they were just on a visit. That is what I based my responses on. I am being told people show up at the border, say they are getting married and they are let through.

I have nothing against Canadians marrying Americans. I do not want this person to get into trouble so I posted.

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

Timeline

I believe the same immigration laws are there for Canadians as any other country. I don't know as I am not Canadian and raised some questions.

The latest response would seem to validate your point that Canadians are treated differently. I am used to hearing others who say they were given a visitor visa but were turned away because they told the officers they were visiting their fiance. There was no planning to get married they were just on a visit. That is what I based my responses on. I am being told people show up at the border, say they are getting married and they are let through.

I have nothing against Canadians marrying Americans. I do not want this person to get into trouble so I posted.

Are Canadian's treated differently than visitor's from other countries, yes, probably.

That posting from the Ottawa Embassy, I see your point now. However, first of all there is other misinformation in their blurb - ie you do need a passport to enter the U.S. if you are flying.

Secondly, there may be some vague law on the books somewhere that fiance(e)s are not to be allowed in the US - as this blurb implies - although I have never personally heard of anything like this and I don't think we can say for certain that this is a fact based on said blurb.

Do Canadian's ever get turned back at the border when attempting to visit their fiances or spouses. Yes.

If a person shows up at the border in their wedding dress will they be turned back - maybe - if the border officer thinks that the person has intent to stay in the U.S. rather than just visit.

A wedding dress might imply this - proof of ties to Canada may dispute it.

Timeline

That happens. It happens to Canadians at the border too. While we do not need a visa to visit the US, we still must pass through a screening by a US POE officer. Typically the questions are: (1) purpose of trip, (2) how long are you staying, (3) any criminal convictions, and (4) do you have a return ticket?

That's usually it. If you say you're going to visit your fiancee/spouse, they may ask if you have ties back to Canada. If you can prove that you're going to return and not take up residence in the US, you're free to go. Most times they just yell "Enjoy your trip. NEXT."

Of course bringing a wedding dress is going to increase the chances of being denied entry. BUT - if you read through the Canadian Wiki (and flames ensures he posts when needed) that you need to bring proof of ties to Canada that will illustrate that you have not abandoned your life in Canada. These things include a return ticket, a letter from your employer saying you're still employed, a mortgage, rent, bills still in your name etc.

Please understand that thousands and thousands of Canadians cross the border each day. Many are married and in relationships with Americans. Its not unusual for Canadians to visit during the process. Its also not unusual for Canadians to marry their spouses in the US. I got married in the US. This certainly wasn't fraud. I wasn't boasting to the officer about it - but I certainly didn't lie either.

We ensure that anyone who posts here understands the risks of trying to enter the US while having their visa pending or trying to get married. We usually cut and paste the Flames Entry if he's not around so they know exactly what's needed. It all comes down to the decision of the POE officer. They have the final say. You can assist by bringing as much information as needed to support your case.

So, please do not suggest we are giving out the wrong information to people. While your opinion is based on speculation, ours is based on actual proof of the many trips we've made collectively to the US. I'd say we have a front row ticket to what actually happens. Not what it says on the Embassy website.

Timeline

This excerpt is actually speaking to the K-1 Visa Requirement. That if you intend on going to the US to get married and remain there is a visa requirement. Much like people entering the US to carry on business relations require a visa.

There is a difference between the intent of the trips which is being overlooked. An intention to get married or visit is akin to a visitor's visa. We don't need a visitor visa. While getting married or engaged and intent to remain in the US requires a spousal visa. Not all trips are with the same intention.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens do not need to obtain a visa in advance in order to apply for admission to the United States. A passport is not required to enter the U.S. except after a visit outside the Western Hemisphere. The only exceptions to the general visa waiver policy are for those individuals entering the U.S. as treaty traders or investors, as the fiance of a U.S. citizen or as immigrants. All travelers should be prepared to present documentary evidence of identity, citizenship, and (if applicable) resident status in Canada.

Timeline

It seems as though the poster is ignoring the parts about intent, even though he posts about intent being the issue. As flax is not intending to STAY in the states, its not an issue, minus what we have already posted about needing to prove ties. Any one from any country that has a VWP has the same options as we do in Canada, so its not fair to say that we have special priviledges. Anyone at any time can be turned away yes, and I believe flax knows this as well, as its in a bunch of the posts on the Canadian forums.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.