KnightAndMagpie

What was the transition like?

181 posts in this topic

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going through all this is pretty interesting. Thus far for Kris his biggest challanges have been finding food he can eat and enjoy. Unfortunately he is a very picky eater so this has been a challange for us both. He's still very hesitant to drive. Not because of the rules but because alot of the drivers in this area are a bit insane and such.

Thankfully he found work without too much of a hassle. (he actually had 2 offers) It makes it easier because we work for the same company so we can just carpool. I know he misses the things that were familiar to him over in the UK and I know he hates the hot weather we get here in Texas but so far so good.

Now trying to explain how our banking system, insurance system and all the wonderful things (cough) about the infrastructure of the US is a whole different story!

Where are you in Texas? I will be going there to live and now I am getting worried about driving, but how else can you get about???

I will miss public transport not that I use it much but at least it is there if you need it, especially if you go on a drunken night out

We are just outside of Austin. It's not too bad but he doesn't like the drivers on the road here. Oh and for those wondering We've found Duvets for sale around here so it is possible. LOL

One thing: I'm never going to get used to the bird song.

Yea, that's right.

The pair of us are up before/at dawn every morning. And the birdsong is weird. It's wrong. And strange. And I'm not going to get used to it. It's got to be the weirdest bit.

And we just have two DVD players in his computer at the moment... one set to region 1, one set to region 2.

And that was my useless two cents.

btw, Hi, new, etc.

Welcome =D.

I'm not too worried about the tea stuff. When Knight first visited me, I got him hooked on tea (I took him to the Crooked Tea House in Windsor =D). I wake up to birdsong and I've always grown up hearing it in the mornings, but I'm not sure how Alaskan mornings are...

In terms of the walking, it gets pretty darn cold (duh!) in the winters so Knight says that won't last long. The summers, however, get beautifully warm at about 32'C-ish so I'm going to insist on it. It's not very safe for me to walk (long story), even though I love it, and I'm going to relish that when I'm out of here.

All input has been GREAT on here. It's wonderful to know that everyone's so willing to share their own experiences of moving.

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Going through all this is pretty interesting. Thus far for Kris his biggest challanges have been finding food he can eat and enjoy. Unfortunately he is a very picky eater so this has been a challange for us both. He's still very hesitant to drive. Not because of the rules but because alot of the drivers in this area are a bit insane and such.

Thankfully he found work without too much of a hassle. (he actually had 2 offers) It makes it easier because we work for the same company so we can just carpool. I know he misses the things that were familiar to him over in the UK and I know he hates the hot weather we get here in Texas but so far so good.

Now trying to explain how our banking system, insurance system and all the wonderful things (cough) about the infrastructure of the US is a whole different story!

Where are you in Texas? I will be going there to live and now I am getting worried about driving, but how else can you get about???

I will miss public transport not that I use it much but at least it is there if you need it, especially if you go on a drunken night out

We are just outside of Austin. It's not too bad but he doesn't like the drivers on the road here. Oh and for those wondering We've found Duvets for sale around here so it is possible. LOL

Well hopefully it wil be better in Dallas fingers crossed

I don't know how you possibly found a duvet here in the US, Rachel. They don't have them here.

Maybe San Jose is a freak city. :D

As for tea, my kettle here is actually far more advanced than my kettle in the UK was! I have a utilitea kettle from adagio.com; it has different temperature settings for both black and green teas. I've even given up tea-bags and have switched to loose tea.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

I don't know how you possibly found a duvet here in the US, Rachel. They don't have them here.

As for tea, my kettle here is actually far more advanced than my kettle in the UK was! I have a utilitea kettle from adagio.com; it has different temperature settings for both black and green teas. I've even given up tea-bags and have switched to loose tea.

I want one of those, my fiance got me one and I just love the keep warm button on it. It is a little slower than the one I have here but not by much

Filed: Timeline

Oh, that sounds really cool. I'm going to have to look that up.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Fortunately I managed to find a duvet my first day here in BB&B.

NO YOU DIDN'T WHY MUST YOU LIE SO WHYYYYYYYY :angry:

We've found Duvets for sale around here so it is possible. LOL

NO YOU DIDN'T EITHER :angry: :angry: :angry:

:P:lol::P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

:lol: I ordered ours online from an American store....and we were still living in England! Crazy!! :lol::P

Ahhhh...I love the whole Duvet Debate...it somehow never bores me :)

Edited by Welshcookie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Well I am in trouble then as I am a vege ha ha

Just will have to get used to splashing out more money for groceries and shop at whole foods and thank god for the net will be searching out things for I need.

Check out the Spiral Diner restaurant in Dallas they also got one in Fort Worth. Reasonable prices and a 100% vegan place to eat.

Timeline

09/12/2004 met him in England

01/01/2008 Engaged

08/07/2008 sent I-129F

08/12/2008 I-129F received at VSC

08/14/2008 NOA1

01/08/2009 NOA2

01/13/2009 NVC received

01/14/2009 received hardcopy NOA2

01/14/2009 NVC sent package to UK embassy

01/28/2009 received packet 3

02/04/2009 sent back packet 3

02/13/2009 medical

03/25/2009 interview Approved

We have had 12 visits since 2004

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

where's govols? I'm missing the madness (hence my attempt to replicate it, above ;) )

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Well I am in trouble then as I am a vege ha ha

Just will have to get used to splashing out more money for groceries and shop at whole foods and thank god for the net will be searching out things for I need.

Check out the Spiral Diner restaurant in Dallas they also got one in Fort Worth. Reasonable prices and a 100% vegan place to eat.

Thanks for that I will make a note of it and be sure to visit when I get there

:lol: I ordered ours online from an American store....and we were still living in England! Crazy!! :lol::P

Ahhhh...I love the whole Duvet Debate...it somehow never bores me :)

I found pretty decent duvets at Ikea in Virginia. My husband who was still living with sheets and blankets has been so AMAZED at how warm and cozy the duvets are. He mentions it almost every morning! We are living in a log cabin so warmth is a priority for me - I got the ones which you add two together to make it very warm and then in spring I will split them and put the warmer tog away.

I want a duvet :crying: Alaska's gonna get COLD.

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

I want a duvet :crying: Alaska's gonna get COLD.

Magpie.

You should see Kentucky this week. We had a bad ice storm alot of snow. Alot of people have lost power. We never lost power but our lights did flicker. Its been chaos. I can't wait for summer lol

I want a duvet too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.