Kim and Nath

booking a return flight for cheaper?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Good news that Nath has his visa. He's found a snag with booking his flight.

Its £280-350 for a two-way flight, but £480 for a one-way flight.

At this rate, it's cheaper for him to book a 2-way flight, but would people at the POE give him issue with this? He's not going to use it, obviously, but we don't want issues when he arrives.

Has anyone done this? Thanks!

AOS

NOA: 6/26/09

RFE: 7/9/09

RFE removed: 7/31/09

Biometrics: 7/29/09

AOS Transferred: 8/21/09

AP Rec.: 8/21/09

EAD Rec.: 8/22/09

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

No, there won't be an issue at POE. He can explain what they already know, that a round-trip ticket is often much cheaper than a one-way ticket.

Just seems crazy that a round trip is cheaper than one way!

Congratulations on having the visa in your hand.

Edited by Rob&Dawn

07/15/2008 I-129f sent to VSC

07/19/2008 I-129f received at VSC

12/09/2008 NOA2 approved

01/13/2009 Medical completed

02/03/2009 Interview - APPROVED!!

02/28/2009 POE Raleigh/Durham

05/02/2009 Official wedding day...get to see the family!

04/11/2009 AOS paperwork sent

04/17/2009 NOA for I-765 & I-131

05/13/2009 Biometrics appointment

05/08/2009 Biometrics done

06/05/2009 EAD & AP approved

06/23/2009 back in the UK

I got a round trip direct to Orlando for 300 quid but one way was over 800?????

K1 129 days to approval

K1 179 days to interview

EAD 45 days to approval

AP 45 days to approval

AOS 69 days to approval

30676823812870142081311.th.jpg 29163923186364479831311.th.jpg 24342521234856493351311.th.jpg 28087022132678138331311.th.jpg

Nick and I in Sept '11, 2 pics of Ryan - 2 yrs old - handsome as EVER!, and one of the whole family (including Shan's mom) at Becca's 16th birthday dinner.

tND8m4.png

Same here, one-way London-Tulsa was 700 quid, a return was only 310. If you get the return ticket as an open-ended ticket, you can use it as an emergency get-me-home in an emergency, that is what I am doing. I guess I'm just stingy though haha, but if he's Scottish, he will be too! It's well known.

- OUR TIMELINE -

04/25/08 - sent I-130 to Chicago lockbox

05/05/08 - received NOA1, assigned to VSC

11/07/08 - transferred to CSC

12/16/08 - NOA2 by email - I-130 approved

12/20/08 - NOA2 in mail - 240 days

12/22/08 - NVC receive package

01/05/09 - we receive AOS Bill and DS-3032

02/12/09 - medical 04th Mar 2009 - NVC Complete - 314 days

04/28/09 - interview passed - 370 days

06/20/09 - visa arrived by courier

06/21/09 - POE Dallas Fort-Worth - 398 days to gain permanent residence (CR-1)

02/22/11 - Sent I-765 to Vermont Service Center

03/03/11 - Received receipt for I-765

04/04/11 - AOS interview and biometrics in Oklahoma City - took all of 20 minutes, no sweat

Currently waiting on my 10-year Green Card - Best wishes to everyone going through their journey!

When I flew here I paid 200 UKP for a one way ticket from Dublin to Louisville KY Via O'hare. I just got my dad to drop me off at Ferry Port took a trip over spent night at Hotel Airport in Dublin and used free bus from hotel back to airport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I don't understand this either. We bought return, I spent days searching for the cheapest. and his return flight just passed, it was nice he wasn't actually leaving this time :luv:

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The airlines don't care, as they are making money either way. If you ring and cancel the return portion when you get to the US you may get the taxes back, plus they get to sell on the seat and make even more money. I used to book travel for business use and we did this a lot when meetings ran over etc.

On a side note apparently the airlines pay for their flights from business class seats so any economy seats they sell are profit.

A return ticket will be your best deal. And a tip: When booking your return, go for the cheapest, day and time of year you can get since you aren't going to use it anyway. Like don't book a weekend return for summer, if a Wednesday in Feb. would be lots cheaper. Find the cheapest scenario.

They don't ask about return tickets at POE. You show them the visa and brown envelope and go get processed. That's it. It's not like when you are presenting a VWP form I-94W. This time you have a K1 visa and a I-94 form, so no questions about if you are going home and ties to UK.

Nick came in Sept and booked the return for March, so he actually could use it now that he has AP to travel. But then how does he get back here without doing another weird return ticket from London. We haven't worked that out yet. Maybe they could apply the unused ticket toward a new ticket. Or maybe we just forget it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I still cant get my head around why a return is cheaper............

The question is not 'why is a R/T cheaper' but 'why is a one-way more expensive?'

The reason is:

Airlines are in the business of filling seats and since most of those seats are filled by people going R/T, those are their primary customers. Along comes someone going one-way - to the airline, that person is (potentially/probably) taking up a seat that a R/T passenger would/might otherwise occupy so they charge a premium (hence most one-way tickets are more expensive). :thumbs:

Side Note: An airline would not sell you a one-way ticket if you did not have the proper entry permit (Visa).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
A return ticket will be your best deal. And a tip: When booking your return, go for the cheapest, day and time of year you can get since you aren't going to use it anyway. Like don't book a weekend return for summer, if a Wednesday in Feb. would be lots cheaper. Find the cheapest scenario.

They don't ask about return tickets at POE. You show them the visa and brown envelope and go get processed. That's it. It's not like when you are presenting a VWP form I-94W. This time you have a K1 visa and a I-94 form, so no questions about if you are going home and ties to UK.

Nick came in Sept and booked the return for March, so he actually could use it now that he has AP to travel. But then how does he get back here without doing another weird return ticket from London. We haven't worked that out yet. Maybe they could apply the unused ticket toward a new ticket. Or maybe we just forget it.

Hey, How long did it take for you to get approval to travel? We're wanting to file that asap, just in case there's any issue with his family over in Scotland, we don't want him to be stuck in the US.

Also, when you go over you have to fill out an I-94 form, even though you have your K1 visa?

Thanks!

AOS

NOA: 6/26/09

RFE: 7/9/09

RFE removed: 7/31/09

Biometrics: 7/29/09

AOS Transferred: 8/21/09

AP Rec.: 8/21/09

EAD Rec.: 8/22/09

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey, How long did it take for you to get approval to travel? We're wanting to file that asap, just in case there's any issue with his family over in Scotland, we don't want him to be stuck in the US.

Also, when you go over you have to fill out an I-94 form, even though you have your K1 visa?

Thanks!

Yup, they'll give you a white I-94 (for people with a visa) to fill out instead of the normal green I-94W (for VWP).

Edited by Laura+Tom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.