brnidokiegurl

MENA FOOD

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

2ond journey - I just looked at your link - great tool!!! But I'm confused by what you said about the McDonald's french fries - the site claims the following:

CONTAINING NON ZABIHA BEEF EXTRACT

That is not the same as containing a pork product.

In food labelling lard [pork based shortening] must be labelled as lard or animal based fat. That will be a huge tip off for anyone trying to avoid questionable animal based fats - the law plainly states it:

(14) Each individual fat and/or oil ingredient of a food intended

for human consumption shall be declared by its specific common or usual

name (e.g., "beef fat", "cottonseed oil") in its order of

predominance in the food except that blends of fats and/or oils may be

designated in their order of predominance in the foods as "------

shortening" or "blend of ------ oils", the blank to be filled in with

the word "vegetable", "animal", "marine", with or without the

terms "fat" or "oils", or combination of these, whichever is

applicable if, immediately following the term, the common or usual name

of each individual vegetable, animal, or marine fat or oil is given in

parentheses, e.g., "vegetable oil shortening (soybean and cottonseed

oil)". For products that are blends of fats and/or oils and for foods

in which fats and/or oils constitute the predominant ingredient, i.e.,

in which the combined weight of all fat and/or oil ingredients equals or

exceeds the weight of the most predominant ingredient that is not a fat

or oil, the listing of the common or usual names of such fats and/or

oils in parentheses shall be in descending order of predominance.

So - if a label says "animal fat" it can be ANY animal. If it states "beef fat" or "beef tallow" it HAS to be from a cow.

The same nomenclature rules are followed for flavors. If a label states Natural Beef Flavor - it CAN NOT contain flavoring items not from a cow [that being said non-flavoring items like salts, solvents, and preservatives may come from other sources...Ethyl Alcohol is a solvent, so be warned]. If a label states Natural Beef Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, the flavor will contain ingredients from other flavoring sources [like garlic or onion or autolyzed yeast proteins - possibly even other meat sources!].

I know labels and ingredient statements in the US are tough to follow. Improvements are being made ALL the time. But it's just like everything else, industry fights it because of the costs associated with changing the way of doing things...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
If it's kosher gelatin it's fine.

Kosher gelatin can be made from the skin/hooves of cows, as well as from fish bones. It's not Halal if it's not slaughtered properly, is it?

Do the skin/hooves come from cows that are slaughtered in the kosher manner? Muslims can eat meat that is slaughtered according to kosher guidelines.

I know there are different opinions within the kosher certifying community as to what is considered kosher re: gelatin. I think it's probably best to email the companies and ask about the source of the ingredients of the gelatin.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Timeline
2ond journey - I just looked at your link - great tool!!! But I'm confused by what you said about the McDonald's french fries - the site claims the following:

CONTAINING NON ZABIHA BEEF EXTRACT

That is not the same as containing a pork product.

In food labelling lard [pork based shortening] must be labelled as lard or animal based fat. That will be a huge tip off for anyone trying to avoid questionable animal based fats - the law plainly states it:

(14) Each individual fat and/or oil ingredient of a food intended

for human consumption shall be declared by its specific common or usual

name (e.g., "beef fat", "cottonseed oil") in its order of

predominance in the food except that blends of fats and/or oils may be

designated in their order of predominance in the foods as "------

shortening" or "blend of ------ oils", the blank to be filled in with

the word "vegetable", "animal", "marine", with or without the

terms "fat" or "oils", or combination of these, whichever is

applicable if, immediately following the term, the common or usual name

of each individual vegetable, animal, or marine fat or oil is given in

parentheses, e.g., "vegetable oil shortening (soybean and cottonseed

oil)". For products that are blends of fats and/or oils and for foods

in which fats and/or oils constitute the predominant ingredient, i.e.,

in which the combined weight of all fat and/or oil ingredients equals or

exceeds the weight of the most predominant ingredient that is not a fat

or oil, the listing of the common or usual names of such fats and/or

oils in parentheses shall be in descending order of predominance.

So - if a label says "animal fat" it can be ANY animal. If it states "beef fat" or "beef tallow" it HAS to be from a cow.

The same nomenclature rules are followed for flavors. If a label states Natural Beef Flavor - it CAN NOT contain flavoring items not from a cow [that being said non-flavoring items like salts, solvents, and preservatives may come from other sources...Ethyl Alcohol is a solvent, so be warned]. If a label states Natural Beef Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, the flavor will contain ingredients from other flavoring sources [like garlic or onion or autolyzed yeast proteins - possibly even other meat sources!].

I know labels and ingredient statements in the US are tough to follow. Improvements are being made ALL the time. But it's just like everything else, industry fights it because of the costs associated with changing the way of doing things...

I thought the lard they cook the fries in might of contained pork fat. I read it somewhere but now cant find the site. It might be Wendy's I cant remember. I will have to research it more. Here is another site.

http://www.soundvision.com/Info/halalhealthy/ingridient.asp

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Basically, at this point I've become tired of reading labels, so I make just about everything myself. Homemade desserts (with alcohol free vanilla flavoring), pizza, meatloaf, fried chicken, I've made just about everything. Ice cream is a project I'm eager to try, although I want to invest in a good ice cream maker, so I'm saving my pennies (very few ice creams are made without vanilla extract).

Jen, I found a deluxe Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker the other day at Williams-Sonoma - for...guess how much???? $29.98!!!!! Can you believe it?!?!?!?! :dance::dance::dance: It is so cool - can't wait to try it out. It is even RED!!! My hubby used to work in an ice cream shop in Germany and he was the ice cream maker. So, I figured he needs to make it for me at home. :devil::thumbs:

One other thing - the best vanilla flavoring comes from using real vanilla bean - my tip is to separate some sugar that you'd like to flavor with vanilla and drop a bean in there. It is awesome!

Edited by Staashi

Kosher gelatin can be made from the skin/hooves of cows, as well as from fish bones. It's not Halal if it's not slaughtered properly, is it?

Do the skin/hooves come from cows that are slaughtered in the kosher manner? Muslims can eat meat that is slaughtered according to kosher guidelines.

I know there are different opinions within the kosher certifying community as to what is considered kosher re: gelatin. I think it's probably best to email the companies and ask about the source of the ingredients of the gelatin.

says who?

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

says who?

They are slaughtered in the kosher manner.

I was curious as to whether Muslims could eat kosher so I looked it up, actually. Needless to say, there are a LOT of different opinions on the subject.

/neither Jewish nor Muslim

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Timeline

Kosher is complicated, which is why I specifically asked if the meat was slaughtered according to kosher guidelines as opposed to if rabbis declare something to be kosher.

Eating kosher meat:

"Kosher meat, strictly speaking, is considered halal. But this rule, it should be emphasized, does not apply indiscriminately to all kosher foods that are prepared and labeled as kosher, since it is possible they may contain wine or other ingredients that are considered haram. It is, therefore, necessary that we stringently inquire into the components of each food that is labeled as kosher; if a food is found to be free of haram ingredients, it shall be considered halal (permitted). Otherwise, it will be haram (forbidden) for us to consume."

The Qur'an tells us:

The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them.

This is where the scholars get the ruling above. If kosher meat is slaughtered according to their guidelines, it's fine. This isn't talking about the miriade of disagreements amongst jews over what else is kosher re: gelatin and everything else. Heck, Jell-o puts a little k on their products, even though the gelatin could be derived from pork. As I've learned from my husband's boss, who started being frum in recent years, it's a whole big mess. I'm speaking strictly about the slaughter of meat.

If anyone takes issue with what I have to say, I'd prefer if they talk to me me directly, rather than backbite. But then again, I can't help but thinking of something Hasan al Basri (ra) wrote:

"I learned that you sent me some of your good rewards to me as a gift by backbiting me. I cannot repay you in the same way; however, please accept this gift in return of your kindness towards me."

Where should I send the present?

On a somewhat related note, my university opened a joint kosher/halal kitchen after I graduated. Definately a positive step in jewish-muslim relations on campus.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
Basically, at this point I've become tired of reading labels, so I make just about everything myself. Homemade desserts (with alcohol free vanilla flavoring), pizza, meatloaf, fried chicken, I've made just about everything. Ice cream is a project I'm eager to try, although I want to invest in a good ice cream maker, so I'm saving my pennies (very few ice creams are made without vanilla extract).

Jen, I found a deluxe Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker the other day at Williams-Sonoma - for...guess how much???? $29.98!!!!! Can you believe it?!?!?!?! :dance::dance::dance: It is so cool - can't wait to try it out. It is even RED!!! My hubby used to work in an ice cream shop in Germany and he was the ice cream maker. So, I figured he needs to make it for me at home. :devil::thumbs:

One other thing - the best vanilla flavoring comes from using real vanilla bean - my tip is to separate some sugar that you'd like to flavor with vanilla and drop a bean in there. It is awesome!

Oooo, that sounds great! Will definately look into it.

I used to cook with vanilla beans, but it got a little too expensive, especially when I was making desserts ever 2 or 3 days. Next time, I'll have to buy in bulk, lol.

irhal.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Oooo, that sounds great! Will definately look into it.

I used to cook with vanilla beans, but it got a little too expensive, especially when I was making desserts ever 2 or 3 days. Next time, I'll have to buy in bulk, lol.

Well, if you get one bean and a 5lb bag of sugar, that bean should begin to give the sugar tremendous flavor. Let it sit in the sugar for a few weeks before using it and you will not be disappointed. :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
we're not that picky lol. We do our absolute best to check the packaging that it doesn't show any known pork products. We don't go around making excuses to eat pork, I promise!!! but it's just that we know that god knows we do our best to check and that is as good as we can do. We don't have the time to call on every product we consume.

I know that u have to be careful with marshmallows. Be careful with the hot dogs and sausages coz they're oftentimes cased in pork intestines but it's not written on the label.

My husband is not picky about going out to eat as long as we don't physically order pork. I do know others though whose husbands refuse to eat take-out just because there's a chance that pork may have been cooked on or near the place the beef and/or chicken was cooked or prepared..OR the worry that they could use the same utensils to prepare them. It's all really up to the non-pork eater and their preferences. Definitely talk to him about how he feels. Explain the ways restaurants prepare things and there are codes and what not and just see how he feels. Good Luck!

OH, and anything that has gelatin...is not ok. Gelatin (at least from what I've read) is made from pork.

Not all Gelatin is made from pork. Starbursts candies for instance--AND I HAVE CALLED M&M&Mars,-- are made from beef gelatin, and many things can have chicken gelatin in them, but STAY AWAY FROM STARBURSTS JELLY BEANS! So if you're worried about it, then call about the type of gelatin. It would be nice if the different manufacturers would clairify, and WHY if the whole line of products is already made with beef gelatin, did they decide it necessary to make something with PORK?! UGH!

April 29, 2008-met Amin- the man of my dreams&love of my life! May 29,2008- flew to Jordan June 1, 2008-started the long CRAZY process of standing in line, waiting for stamps, and being sent from one office to another only to pay another fee and find another line! June 3,2008-The HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE! June 11, 2008- Returned home,started paperwork.June 30, 2008-Sent off I-130 pkt to Chicago.July 3, 2008-I-130 pkt received, fwd to CSC.August 4, 2008-NOA #1 August 11, 2008-Sent in I-129F pkt to CSC.August 18, 2008-NOA#2*APPROVED*September 4, 2008-NVC printed AOS instructions-(mailed Sept. 8) September 13, 2008-Rec'd AOS Bill in the mail.[/i] September 15, 2008-Used online payment option.-October 14, 2008-Sent off AOS packet with joint sponsor info.-rec'd@NVC Oct 15. October 30,2008-Got RFENovember 12, 2008-Priority to NVC,BIOGRAPH/Certs!Here we go![/b]November 19,2008RFE!#######!-overnite Nov 25-3 December, 2008-CASE COMPLETE NVC!INTERVIEW FEB 18TH-Approved!!!February 28,2009 HUBBY ARRIVED ON SATURDAY FEBRUARY 28TH, 2009---LIFE HAS JUST BEGUN!!!!ALHAMDULALLAH!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

jen - i just saw at trader joes last night pure vanilla that is alcohol free. a bottle was $2.99!!! just an fyi

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Kosher is complicated, which is why I specifically asked if the meat was slaughtered according to kosher guidelines as opposed to if rabbis declare something to be kosher.

Eating kosher meat:

"Kosher meat, strictly speaking, is considered halal. But this rule, it should be emphasized, does not apply indiscriminately to all kosher foods that are prepared and labeled as kosher, since it is possible they may contain wine or other ingredients that are considered haram. It is, therefore, necessary that we stringently inquire into the components of each food that is labeled as kosher; if a food is found to be free of haram ingredients, it shall be considered halal (permitted). Otherwise, it will be haram (forbidden) for us to consume."

The Qur'an tells us:

The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them.

This is where the scholars get the ruling above. If kosher meat is slaughtered according to their guidelines, it's fine. This isn't talking about the miriade of disagreements amongst jews over what else is kosher re: gelatin and everything else. Heck, Jell-o puts a little k on their products, even though the gelatin could be derived from pork. As I've learned from my husband's boss, who started being frum in recent years, it's a whole big mess. I'm speaking strictly about the slaughter of meat.

If anyone takes issue with what I have to say, I'd prefer if they talk to me me directly, rather than backbite. But then again, I can't help but thinking of something Hasan al Basri (ra) wrote:

"I learned that you sent me some of your good rewards to me as a gift by backbiting me. I cannot repay you in the same way; however, please accept this gift in return of your kindness towards me."

Where should I send the present?

On a somewhat related note, my university opened a joint kosher/halal kitchen after I graduated. Definately a positive step in jewish-muslim relations on campus.

what about these circumstances?

"In Shechita, a blessing to God is recited before beginning an uninterrupted period of slaughtering; as long as the Shochet does not have a lengthy pause, interrupt, or otherwise lose concentration, this blessing covers all the animals slaughtered that period. This blessing follows the standard form for a blessing before most Jewish rituals ("Blesséd are you God ... who commanded us regarding [such-and-such]," in this case, Shechita). The general rule in Judaism is that for rituals which have an associated blessing, if one omitted the blessing, the ritual is still valid [see Maimonides Laws of Blessings 11:5]; as such, even if the shochet failed to recite the blessing before Shechita, the slaughter is still valid and the meat is kosher. [Maimonides Laws of Slaughter 1:2 and commentaries ad loc]"--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Dhabi%C4%A5a_Halal_and_kashrut

is it still halal, even though “Eat not of (meats) over which Allah’s name has not been pronounced. That would be impiety.”(al-An’ am, V. 121) ?

is it even remotely feasible for muslims to witness the shechita of the specific animal they were going to eat to assure that the name of God was invoked that time? :no: specifically asking if kosher guidelines were followed when the animal was slaughtered is no assurance that God's name has been pronounced over it. i don't care about anything else kosher here, i'm strictly speaking specifically about the slaughter of animals as well.

issues with anything i say on other websites should be brought up on the websites they are said on, not here.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Id be worried about the hidden clove and peppercorn leaves in the byriani, for taste only dont eat the seed whooo hot and bitter.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Timeline

It is good adab to begin with bismillah before eating anything, but in particular, one says bismillah over meat where they are not sure if it was said while the meat was being slaughtered. Wa'la, the name of Allah (swt) is said over the meat.

As for elsewhere, it's not healthy to hang out amidst backbiting. So please do continue it elsewhere if you wish, but if you have sincere advice that would help people here to practice their religion better, then offer it to them in the best possible terms.

And say to My servants, that they say words that are kindlier. For surely Satan provokes strife between them, and Satan is ever a manifest foe to man. (17:53)

O you who believe, do not let any people deride another people: who may be better than they are; nor let any women deride [other] women who may be better than they are. And do not defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. Evil is the name of immorality after faith! And whoever does not repent, those — they are the evildoers.

O you who believe, shun much suspicion. Indeed some suspicions are sins. And do not spy, nor backbite one another. Would any of you love to eat the flesh of his brother dead? You would abhor it. And fear God; assuredly God is Relenting, Merciful. (49:11-12)

irhal.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

since i started the subject there should be no back stabbing, name calling etc. Its very simple i wanted to learn the right foods, (mostly the hidden not the obvious) and sincere in asking for help, thanks to all who actually helped. Now who would like to help clean this house from top to bottom on short notice?

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.