Neige

Eligibility for Direct Consular Filing?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a quick question -

To be eligible for DCF does the USC need to be a *permanent* resident of Canada, or just legally living there? My significant other lives here on a student visa while in grad school - does that count? Is there a length of time they need to have been living in Canada for in order for us to use DCF?

Thanks!

Filed: Other Timeline

The USC would have to be a legal permanent resident in Canada in order to qualify for DCF.

You can check their consular website for more info http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/index.asp

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a quick question -

To be eligible for DCF does the USC need to be a *permanent* resident of Canada, or just legally living there? My significant other lives here on a student visa while in grad school - does that count? Is there a length of time they need to have been living in Canada for in order for us to use DCF?

Thanks!

Actually, you don't have to be a 'permanent resident' to file DCF, what you do need is a visa that allows you to stay in Canada for at least 6 months (he also has to have been a resident for at least 6 months when you apply I believe).

One of the VJ members did just that, Len. Some of her original posts can be found here and may be helpful to you:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=549848

The item below is from the Supplement to Instructions for immigrant visa applicants - Montreal:

The following is additional information specifically for those who will apply for immigrant visas at the United States Consulate General in Montreal. It supplements the enclosed “Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants.”

Note on jurisdiction. Immigrant visa processing at the United States Consulate General in Montreal is limited to:

• Canadian citizens and landed immigrants.

• Non-Canadians who reside temporarily in Canada and have the permission of the Canadian government to remain in Canada at least six months (for example, those on a study permit).

• Persons now residing in the United States whose most recent foreign residence was in Canada. “Most recent foreign residence” means that you were a student, temporary worker, or landed immigrant in Canada for at least six months prior to moving to the United States. link

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.