IgnatiusJ.Reilly

Taxes and a Vietnamese Non Resident Spouse

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Has anyone who is married to a Vietnamese National done this? It appears to be possible. I see that a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is required and any income the spouse made in thier home Country would have to be counted towards the total income. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can file your tax return as married. The new law has changed for spouse without social security number. In order to get the ITIN for your wife, you will need your wife original vietnamese Passport or Vietnamese Identification card ( Chung Minh Nhan Dan ), copy of your marriage certificate license. Then file your tax as married joint return, just leave your wife social security number blank, sign your tax returns with both signature, you and your wife. You can sign for your wife. Make sure you include all documents as I stated with your returns and send it to Philadelphia. I don't remember the address but you can look it up under IRS.gov. After they received your tax returns they will process your tax and issued ITIN for your spouse as same time. Good Luck.

Do you send her original Passport or Identification card to the IRS along with the W7? I assume the IRS will send them back so I can return them to her in Vietnam. I just worry about them getting lost in the mail even if I send it Fed Ex.

If she lives close to US consulate, make a copy of valid passport & have it certified/notarized there at the consulate. This notarized copy is what you sent along with W-7 form

You're right. I thought they only accepted the actual passport as a stand alone document, but they will take a notarized copy.

If you submit an original valid passport (or a notarized or

certified copy of a valid passport), you do not need to submit

any other documents. Otherwise, you must submit at least two of

the documents listed below. The documents must be current, verify

your identity (that is, contain your name), and support your claim of

foreign status. At least one document must contain your photograph,

but a photograph is not required if documents are submitted for a

dependent under age 14 (under age 18 if a student). Do not attach

expired documents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.