Krikit

Come Again?

109 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Do wha? That's different. LOL

EVERYONE here in NC says that. Bugs the ####### outta me. That and you'uns. :P

Canadians = Sem-ee, Ant-ee etc. Americans = Sem-eye, Ant-eye etc... (although there are pockets of America that use the ee sound rather than the eye sound too)

Someone on another forum explained it to me why our pronunciations are different. Apparently in American schools they're taught that the English language is phonetic (but it really isn't, there are too many language variables to make it phonetic). But it would explain Ahnt instead of Ant (for Aunt) and other peculiarities and the ee vs eye I guess.

And well...we all know how well huked on fonix worked:p

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
as for the ashphalt, it is actually Canadians who say it incorrectly:

1as·phalt

Pronunciation: \ˈas-ˌfȯlt also ˈash-, especially British -ˌfalt\

Variant(s): also as·phal·tum \as-ˈfȯl-təm, especially British -ˈfal-\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English aspalt, from Late Latin aspaltus, from Greek asphaltos

Date: 14th century

1 : a dark bituminous substance that is found in natural beds and is also obtained as a residue in petroleum refining and that consists chiefly of hydrocarbons

2 : an asphaltic composition used for pavements and as a waterproof cement

— as·phal·tic \as-ˈfȯl-tik, especially British -ˈfal-\ adjective

A larger bottle of liquor would be called either a twenty-sixer (for a 26 oz bottle, equiv. to "a fifth" here in the US) or a 40 pounder (for a 40 oz bottle). Which of course are all measured in metric now, but this goes back to before Canada switched. At least in my neck of the woods in Ontario. A mickie, as someone mentioned already, is small enough to fit in your pocket. I've no idea what they call that here in the US. Cheap date perhaps. ;)

My husband now calls his winter knit hat a "toque" because I just Cannot call it a toboggan! WHY do they call it a toboggan? It's just crazy! :wacko:

And why is the dog IN the floor, and not ON the floor? Whenever he says that, I have this vision of our house sucking up the dog INTO the floor, and it scares me!

And why, when he is helping me put groceries away, is he putting them UP, even if he has to bend down to do it? Why can't he just put them away?

And don't even get me started on "you'uns" ugh...####### is that? :huh:

Yes- my husband always uses the term "putting things up" instead of "putting things away".

Also here in New Orleans (although I have yet to hear someone use this term) they call it "making groceries" when they go grocery shopping.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's another one that I find interesting. My SO uses a 't' at the end of several words that I use an 'ed. Example - I say spelled. He says spelt. He was educated in Nova Scotia and swears they taught him to spell that way. Anyone else use that?

BTW, since I originally brought up the ashfault vs. assfault subject and found that all of you say ashfault, he now thinks I should start pronouncing it the Canadian way. He's seriously underestimated just how stubborn I am. :whistle:

I also LOVE to drive in Canada as it seems like I get everywhere so much faster than I thought I would. When I see the distance signs, my mind always thinks miles and calculates ETA accordingly, but a while later I realize I had a brain fart and then I get there a lot faster than I thought I would! :lol:

I had the opposite problem. Driving through Montana. Only 250 (kms) left to get to Billings.....it's actually 250 miles. A lot longer when you putting down the highway doing 90 mph. The distance goes down sooooo slow, it feels like you're not even moving.

When I got to Amarillo and saw the signs for Dallas and Houston, it was even longer. (350 and 600 on the signs)

Timeline
One thing I've noticed is that in Canada, people say Mum even though it's spelled Mom.

In the US, it's pronounced Mom.

That's the British in us!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
One thing I've noticed is that in Canada, people say Mum even though it's spelled Mom.

In the US, it's pronounced Mom.

That's the British in us!!

You couldn't be more right. My SO always says mum! He also always says bum when I say butt. Or he says ####### when I say a$$. I like the British in you, it's cute. We're speaking the same language and mostly understand each other (except I'll never get past the ashfault pronunciation :lol: ) but it's still slightly different which gives us each a little more personality. :luv:

Filed: Timeline
So is it a sem - eye circle or a sem - ee circle? See we can't even agree in our own country. Is it a Dem - eye Moore or Dem-ee Moore? (Demi Moore) Now who is the weirdo??? lol

Ooo! Oooo! I know!! *jumps up and down* It's Dem-ee. Short for Demetria. :)

Not everyone. :P

Here's another one that I find interesting. My SO uses a 't' at the end of several words that I use an 'ed. Example - I say spelled. He says spelt. He was educated in Nova Scotia and swears they taught him to spell that way. Anyone else use that?

I do! It's a British thing too.

iagree.gif

the t at the end of past tense words is a UK English thing, and for Canadians of a certain age, we would have learned that way as well. We generally learn English English in school as opposed to American English. But technically, both the t and the ed would be correct.

Krikit, everybody I know in North Carolina says do wha?. Even the non-native Carlolinians do.

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Where did hubby get that from then? The closest he's lived to NC is DE!! His dad says it too and he's from (and all his ancestors before) MO

Hmmmmmmmm

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
the t at the end of past tense words is a UK English thing, and for Canadians of a certain age, we would have learned that way as well. We generally learn English English in school as opposed to American English. But technically, both the t and the ed would be correct.

Yes, the additional "t" is a British thing. I have always said "spelt" instead of spelled. That is a good example. In England, people say "Whilst" instead of "while" or "admidst" instead of "amid" and "amongst" instead of "among". Both are correct as Reba said.

That really comes from middle English where at some point, someone added the "t" and "st" to many words and it has stuck in the UK but not in North America.

Some Canadians like myself who have British parents, family or who were born there got that from British speakers.

Often times I hear myself say a word like spelt and get that weird feeling in my brain that I am saying something wrong when I know I'm not. I do hate that feeling.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Yes, the additional "t" is a British thing. I have always said "spelt" instead of spelled. That is a good example. In England, people say "Whilst" instead of "while" or "admidst" instead of "amid" and "amongst" instead of "among". Both are correct as Reba said.

That really comes from middle English where at some point, someone added the "t" and "st" to many words and it has stuck in the UK but not in North America.

Some Canadians like myself who have British parents, family or who were born there got that from British speakers.

Often times I hear myself say a word like spelt and get that weird feeling in my brain that I am saying something wrong when I know I'm not. I do hate that feeling.

Interesting. I had never heard that. Let me rephrase - I had never seen that. I've heard people say "spelt", but until he wrote it in an email one day, it never really hit me. It just looked really different to me.

I'm one of those people who pick up different phrases and words from those around me subconsciously. I've found myself in the last six months or so saying "eh" instead of my usual "huh". It totally cracks up my co-workers and son. I can't see myself saying "spelt", but once we're finally together, I'll probably pick up all kinds of things he says, so anything's possible. ;)

Where did hubby get that from then? The closest he's lived to NC is DE!! His dad says it too and he's from (and all his ancestors before) MO

Hmmmmmmmm

Like I said, even the non Carolinians around here say it, so it's probably not specifically a Carolina thing.

Timeline

What I find odd is in Canada, all the food/dairy products say "Expires on" or "Expiration date" which means the item is not best after such date. But down here, everything says "sell by" such and such date. So the stores need to sell it by that date, but when does in then expire? A week later? Few days later? I thought that was strange.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.