rsn

I-129F application packet damaged in shipment

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I should have known that mailing this from Thailand was a bad idea. I sent it via DHL to the California USCIS address (the private courier address, not the P.O. box) a few days ago. Today, I checked the progress of the shipment online and noticed that it was listed as "refused by recipient". I called DHL Thailand and they tell me that the packet was damaged in shipment, and I'm guessing the damage was substantial since USCIS refused it outright it seems. Mind you that this was packed and sealed in a thick cardboard envelope and then in another large plastic pouch, so I'm amazed that DHL managed to destroy it. I will never again use DHL, but that's beside the point here.

My question here deals with sending B&W low-quality xerox copies of some of the documents in my original packet. Luckily, I was smart enough to store high-qualiy color scans of about 95% of my I-129F packet, but there were a few documents that I neglected to do this for, and only have low quality B&W copies of those (specifically, letters from my fiancees family and friends supporting our desire to marry along with certified translations). Also, there are a few docuements, in addition to these, that I cannot send w/ the original signatures (such as supporting documents from my family & friends supporting our desire to marry) since I am in Thailand for the next 4+ weeks and they are in the U.S. (I'd like to mail this beast ASAP).

After reading the above paragraph, does anyone see any problem with me submitting some documents without original signatures (photocopied documents)? If so, do I need to include a letter explaining why I am doing this with evidence (if I can get it) showing that DHL screwed my first attempt up royally?

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

...also, can someone possibly recommend a private courier, such as UPS that they have personally dealt with to send shipments from Thailand to the U.S.? I really don't want to go through this again.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
...also, can someone possibly recommend a private courier, such as UPS that they have personally dealt with to send shipments from Thailand to the U.S.? I really don't want to go through this again.

you could to thai post office service .

Send with EMS with Registered mail.

It'll get to the USA safely and on time.

Timeline

It is highly recommended that you do not send any form that lacks your original signature i.e. intent to marry letter, evidence of having met, I-129F form, etc.

My condolences for the inconvenience of the situation.

All the best.

Timeline
It is highly recommended that you do not send any form that lacks your original signature i.e. intent to marry letter, evidence of having met, I-129F form, etc.

My condolences for the inconvenience of the situation.

All the best.

I agree. However, I only plan on sending copies of some documents that do not require signatures from me or my fiancee, such as letters from family and friends supporting our desire to marry. Is this ok?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I should have known that mailing this from Thailand was a bad idea. I sent it via DHL to the California USCIS address (the private courier address, not the P.O. box) a few days ago. Today, I checked the progress of the shipment online and noticed that it was listed as "refused by recipient". I called DHL Thailand and they tell me that the packet was damaged in shipment, and I'm guessing the damage was substantial since USCIS refused it outright it seems. Mind you that this was packed and sealed in a thick cardboard envelope and then in another large plastic pouch, so I'm amazed that DHL managed to destroy it. I will never again use DHL, but that's beside the point here.

My question here deals with sending B&W low-quality xerox copies of some of the documents in my original packet. Luckily, I was smart enough to store high-qualiy color scans of about 95% of my I-129F packet, but there were a few documents that I neglected to do this for, and only have low quality B&W copies of those (specifically, letters from my fiancees family and friends supporting our desire to marry along with certified translations). Also, there are a few docuements, in addition to these, that I cannot send w/ the original signatures (such as supporting documents from my family & friends supporting our desire to marry) since I am in Thailand for the next 4+ weeks and they are in the U.S. (I'd like to mail this beast ASAP).

After reading the above paragraph, does anyone see any problem with me submitting some documents without original signatures (photocopied documents)? If so, do I need to include a letter explaining why I am doing this with evidence (if I can get it) showing that DHL screwed my first attempt up royally?

Fortunately none of the documents you say can't be reproduced are actually necessary with the petition filing. DHL, is going to be used to send your case file back to Thailand eventually, so I suggest you focus on packaging rather than a new courier. DHL is always my top recommendation for international small package shipment, particularly to and from Asia. Certainly if another is available at a price you're willing to pay, they'll probably get the package there.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just wanted to share my experience with DHL.

After reading the DHL recommendations on this form I used them for the I-129f documents that required my fiance signature along with her passport photo. Her English is really good so we had a long discusion about the exact process to follow and precautions to take to ensure a smooth shipment. She took great care in preparing everything and went directly to the downtown DHL office in Bangkok. She then allowed them to inspect and seal the envelope. After this they placed an "Inspected by shipper" label over the seal. At that point things went downhill. The delivery to the Dallas DHL depot took 2 times longer than advertised and the tracking was a joke. On the day of delivery the driver determined my house was unsafe to leave the package to. At his discretion he determined that the ONLY delivery option was that the recipient listed on the package would have to be at home and show ID to receive it. Just to be clear,, I could not do a signature release, leave at neighbor or anything other than be at home and show ID. I contacted DHL customer service and informed them both the sender and recipient took specific actions (not insuring the package and not requiring a delivery signature) because no one would be home to recieve it and that there was no value to it. I also informed DHL that I live in a quiet suburb of Dallas, a safe neighborhood, a private culdesac with a private porch. DHL responded that ultimatley nothing else matters other than the drivers opinion and he can make whatever decision he determines without recourse. As you might imagine I was blown away by this...

After 2 calls I was able to speak with the drivers supervisor. After repeating to him all of the information above and that the contents only a picture and letter did he agree to direct the driver to leave the package. Later that evening as I arrived home I found my package. The tape had been cut and the envelope ripped open. Luckialy the contents were all there and not damaged and we were about to be on our way to the NOA1. :)

I did file a formal complaint with the national DHL office via the customer service division concerning incorrect tracking information, the arbitrary delivery decision, and that these policies were not made available to customers prior to shipment. I was told the corporate headquarters would contact directly to discuss within 7 days. That was on 12/22/08 and I have never heard from them.

BTW both FedX and UPS would have been cheaper options for me. I just chose DHL as they had great ratings from everyone else...

Good luck to everyone!

My DIL just got a sensitive package through EMS this past week. It came quickly.

Thai Mom

My DIL just got a sensitive package through EMS this past week. It came quickly.

Thai Mom

I sent my visa package from Thailand via FedEx. It arrived intact at the CSC in four days. I have never had any problems with this company.

Edited by Mountain Climber

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

DHL tends to be a little rough with their packages especially if they aren't marked 'fragile', even with national mailing. Internationally, I would go with FedEx. I'm not familiar with mailing from Thailand, but we used FedEx to mail papers from here in Morocco to the USA and had no trouble whatsoever.

We met in October 2007 and our immigration journey started in July 2008 when we filed for the I-129F Fiance Visa petition. 

~05/16/2009~ MARRIED!!!!

~08/31/2011~ OUR SON WAS BORN!!!!

~02/17/2012~ Mailed I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residency to Vermont Service Center

~03/19/2012~ ASC Biometrics Appointment

~11/05/2012~ Production of 10-year GC ordered

~7/1/2014~ Our son's first trip to Morocco

~03/17/2018~ Filed N-400

~04/09/2018~ Biometrics

~6/13/2018~ Off to Morocco, my parents in tow!

~10/23/2018~ Interview, approved

~11/7/2018~ Oath Ceremony

Timeline

UPDATE: Looks like DHL Thailand misinformed me. The package was not in fact damaged. It was refused due to the office closing early the day before a long weekend, and was eventually accepted on Tuesday. They cashed my check today and I am eagerly waiting my NOA1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.