DeadPoolX

A few questions...

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

1. I remember reading a while back that some department stores in the U.S. (like Macy's) will give discounts to someone with a foreign passport. Is that still true? If not, that's okay, but it'd be nice. I've already looked at some department store websites and they say nothing about it (although most of these websites aren't too good to begin with).

2. My wife is worried that there will be some sort of complication when we travel. I have my PR card (although the middle name is spelled incorrectly; I plan on fixing that when I get back) and my U.S. passport. Going down to the U.S. won't be a problem for me and coming back to Canada won't be a problem for her. She's just worried that some overly zealous nitwit of a customs officer will give me a hard time when coming back to Canada, since my middle name doesn't match word-for-word. My landing papers have my name with the same incorrectly spelled middle name. For reference, my full name -- with the middle name spelled correctly -- is on my passport and the visa given to me by the Canadian government.

3. When going through customs, should my wife and I go together or separately? We're traveling from YVR to IAH and back.

Filed: Timeline
1. I remember reading a while back that some department stores in the U.S. (like Macy's) will give discounts to someone with a foreign passport. Is that still true? If not, that's okay, but it'd be nice. I've already looked at some department store websites and they say nothing about it (although most of these websites aren't too good to begin with).

Yes, Macy's still gives the discounts. It's not advertised..... you just have to go to their customer service department and ask for it. They usually don't know about it if you ask a cashier.

2. My wife is worried that there will be some sort of complication when we travel. I have my PR card (although the middle name is spelled incorrectly; I plan on fixing that when I get back) and my U.S. passport. Going down to the U.S. won't be a problem for me and coming back to Canada won't be a problem for her. She's just worried that some overly zealous nitwit of a customs officer will give me a hard time when coming back to Canada, since my middle name doesn't match word-for-word. My landing papers have my name with the same incorrectly spelled middle name. For reference, my full name -- with the middle name spelled correctly -- is on my passport and the visa given to me by the Canadian government.

Obviously you won't know the definitive answer until you return to Canada (and, even then, each crossing is never the same) but I don't believe you will encounter a denial or an overly hard time.

3. When going through customs, should my wife and I go together or separately? We're traveling from YVR to IAH and back.

When you travel together you need to go through Customs together.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.