supranatural

What can we expect at an i751 interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Simple question - after a year expired, and opening 2 inquiries as to what was going on with our i751 petition, we were assigned an agent to review our application and were promptly given a letter telling us we have to come in for an interview. We were told to bring a few things but I suspect it's going to be a good idea to bring everything I can think of just in case. But as far as the interview, we have no idea what to expect - can anyone help us with their experiences with this?

Thanks

Filed: Timeline
Simple question - after a year expired, and opening 2 inquiries as to what was going on with our i751 petition, we were assigned an agent to review our application and were promptly given a letter telling us we have to come in for an interview. We were told to bring a few things but I suspect it's going to be a good idea to bring everything I can think of just in case. But as far as the interview, we have no idea what to expect - can anyone help us with their experiences with this?

Thanks

HI! Dont worry about the interview! :yes:

They have called you for an interview for the reason that you guys probably haven't filed all the necessary documentation with the I-751 petition. That means that they are probably missing some necessary documents or something... Did you include the Police Report,pictures,common utility bills,car insurances,home ownerships, car ownerships and other relevant evidence with the I-751 file?

If you think that you didn't include enough evidence ,i suggest to you to bring all the relevant evidence you possibly have. Dont't worry you should be fine ,they just probably gonna ask you the regular questions as how you guys met,what kind of food does he like or she like and etc.... or they may just need to look at more documents and thats it. Be confident! If your marriage is real you have nothing to worry about!

INS people are very good psychologists and actually a pleasant people.

Personally,I havent had any bad experience witht he INS people yet,they seems very nice.

Just be yourself and answer the questions honestly.

Sincerely.

I wanted to add that my understanding is they also call some small number (I've heard 5-10%) of cases that they do *not* have any concerns about for interviews ... after all, they want to have something to say "This is what a real marriage should look like!" as a benchmark. So it might be that you presented a great petition and just are one of those cases.

I don't know why Sweetgirl thinks you need a Police Certificate, I've never heard of such a thing. The USCIS is quite capable of using the fingerprints you already have on file to run your fingerprints domestically, it's only for residence outside the US that you need one, and that only *before* you enter the US.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

I wanted to add that my understanding is they also call some small number (I've heard 5-10%) of cases that they do *not* have any concerns about for interviews ... after all, they want to have something to say "This is what a real marriage should look like!" as a benchmark. So it might be that you presented a great petition and just are one of those cases.

I don't know why Sweetgirl thinks you need a Police Certificate, I've never heard of such a thing. The USCIS is quite capable of using the fingerprints you already have on file to run your fingerprints domestically, it's only for residence outside the US that you need one, and that only *before* you enter the US.

Well,just incase,would not be a bad idea.....as i have done that with the both Petitions since i have arrived here. :yes:

Well,just incase,would not be a bad idea.....as i have done that with the both Petitions since i have arrived here. :yes:

Um, you know that's why they fingerprint you, right? To check your criminal history? I don't see how it does any good at all to prove that you've never committed a crime in the one town you live in. Just another useless piece of paper that the adjudicating officer has to read. Why put yourself through the hassle and expense? The USCIS only goes by its own records, it doesn't give a darn what other people say. They're going to run your fingerprints regardless of what you send them, so why bother? The only reason a police cert is required for visa petitions is that the US doesn't have access to other countries' criminal records databases.

To suggest that the OP was scheduled for an interview for not including the police certificate, which is very definitely not on the list of things needed and which I've never heard of anyone but you submitting (and I've never heard of anyone being asked for it, either) is going to make him/her worry about something that there's absolutely no reason to worry about it.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Bring the original of anything you sent in as a photocopy. I would say other than what you originally sent it you might bring a few things that are recent if it's been a while since you sent in the application. Hard to tell why you are being interviewed, since they randomly select a percentage of cases for interview no matter what was sent in.

Edited by mdyoung

Um, you know that's why they fingerprint you, right? To check your criminal history? I don't see how it does any good at all to prove that you've never committed a crime in the one town you live in. Just another useless piece of paper that the adjudicating officer has to read. Why put yourself through the hassle and expense? The USCIS only goes by its own records, it doesn't give a darn what other people say. They're going to run your fingerprints regardless of what you send them, so why bother? The only reason a police cert is required for visa petitions is that the US doesn't have access to other countries' criminal records databases.

To suggest that the OP was scheduled for an interview for not including the police certificate, which is very definitely not on the list of things needed and which I've never heard of anyone but you submitting (and I've never heard of anyone being asked for it, either) is going to make him/her worry about something that there's absolutely no reason to worry about it.

Ok,Nevermind,whatever......

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks

I agree w/mdyoung's idea of adding a few updated infos 7 go planning for a clerical kind of interview. Like spark says, a certain percentage of files are pulled for interview regardless of what was sent in. Maybe because yours fell thru a crack, someone thought it would make a great training case.. who knows.

You know your relationship is legit, and this is one case where the burden is not so much on you. The gov't has to prove fraud; you've already proved your marriage. If you're for real, go, enjoy the visit and have an adventure. :)

Hey, post your interview when you're done.. we hardly ever read any, which is why none of us knows what to tell you to expect!

You might find a recent I-751 interview posted at britishexpats.com in the marriage-based visa forum.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.