marco2009

Anyone with US passport at hand?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wife likes my photos, hi res digital camera, back lighted light wall, use a 100 W equivalent CFL in a standard 18" outlet, stool one foot from the wall, and go back about ten feet using the optical telephoto, with a fill in flash, no bright spots or shadows from that distance, and take a bunch of shots. No smiles, no jewelry for the N-400, leave eyeglasses off, no law you have to wear them, makes life miserable with reflections, set the telephoto to size the photo from the top of her breasts up.

Use Corel photo where I can resample the photo to any size I want, has a grid where I go in 1/8" increments, tad over 3 mm, but since the DOS wants inches, work in that, no big deal, 25.4 mm in an inch so a 2 by 2 inch photo is 50.8 by 50.8 mm, cm is too large of a unit. With the grid on, resample her photo from the bottom of her chin to the top of her forehead to about 1 1/4 inches, 32 mm, then crop the photo centering the photo 2 by 2 cropping frame equally from the top of her head and the bottom of her chin with her nose dead center horizontally. Works out perfectly, using step and repeat copy exactly six of these photos, three across and two high, Corel has a snap feature, exact, to make a 4 by 6 photo, e-mail that to Walgreens, and pick it up for 19 cents, use a paper cutter to cut the photos precisely.

Her actual PP photo is 1 21/32" high by 1 3/8" wide, that is 42 mm high by 35 mm wide, while the distance from the bottom of her chin to the top of her head is identical to the photo we submitted, that is not our photo, had to be electronically reproduced. Colors are off tint and over saturated, bunch of fruit has been super imposed over her neck and a bunch of light blue streaks, wife was horrified. But just said, we are not entering this photo in a beauty contest, just some immigration officer will be looking at it, and it did work for us.

She had me take additional photos wearing jewelry, smiling, and at more favorable angles, but that was for her, DOS wants a mug shot, could have pasted a ruler behind her head for her height. Most important thing, they accepted the photo. Watched a guy do a passport at Walgreen, just clicks a button to frame it to the correct height, took him about five seconds, facial expression was rather poor for the person waiting, but what the heck.

Filed: Timeline
:rofl::rofl: Are you kidding me? :rofl::rofl: Google it mate...don't be so lazy!!!

Ha, ha no I am not lazy. I can convert 1.6 in to cm, but I can not convert 1 2/3 to cm since I have no idea how to input it. No offense to anyone using inch but it is so complex.

Edited by marco2009

Filed: Timeline
Her actual PP photo is 1 21/32" high by 1 3/8" wide, that is 42 mm high by 35 mm wide, while the distance from the bottom of her chin to the top of her head is identical to the photo we submitted, that is not our photo, had to be electronically reproduced. Colors are off tint and over saturated, bunch of fruit has been super imposed over her neck and a bunch of light blue streaks, wife was horrified.

Thank you NickD for your guidance. I appreciate your time taking measurements.

How it is possible that your photo measurements are different from Flames? The gray box behind photo should be the same in every new e-passport, correct?

:thumbs: Thank you Flames. But how can I input 1 21/32" in conversation calculator?! :blush:

Timeline
I stand corrected. It looks that on of the calculators accepts format 1 21/32.

Easiest way is to key in 21/32 + 1 that yields, 1.65625, that times 25.4, the conversion factor equals 26.05625 mm.

I used a machinist steel ruler for measurement that shows 1/64" increments, but rounded it off to the nearest 1/32", DOS does not specify tolerance. But they ask for a 2 by 2 inch photo, if they asked for a 1 21/32" high by 1 3/8" wide photo, would have given that, I aim to please. Do have an optical comparator, could give the measurements to the nearest 0.001 inches, ha, do you want that? Do not feel that was necessary.

Just went to http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html and followed their instructions, high quality 35 mm photos only have a resolution of 150 dots per inch, could have gone much greater, but just shows more noise, so struck with 200 dpi. While I have all those slave flashes, used my Fuji FinePix camera, turned on the room lights bright, set flash to auto with red eye reduction, has a portrait mode, and just clicked away. Has an automatic ISO setting that can go up to 3,200 ISO, so does take nearly perfect photos, ha, nothing is perfect.

:rofl::rofl: Are you kidding me? :rofl::rofl: Google it mate...don't be so lazy!!!

Ha, ha no I am not lazy. I can convert 1.6 in to cm, but I can not convert 1 2/3 to cm since I have no idea how to input it. No offense to anyone using inch but it is so complex.

Come on, Marco2009

Since you are applying for N400, you have lived in U.S. enough to know inch system.

Also, if you have digital version of photo, you can use following site to check your photo, and make it as 6 passport photos using 4X6 inch photo paper.

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

I used it, and it worked fine for me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My son's is 1 1/4" wide by 1 3/4" in length. Yup so is mine.

I'm surprised both photos were accepted. My son looks like he has an orange face and I have an orange face with some orange shading on the white background.

You look like an Orange, do you taste like one too? Because you know what they say, if it looks like an orange, and taste like an orange it must be an orange. LOL Sorry.

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Timeline
You look like an Orange, do you taste like one too? Because you know what they say, if it looks like an orange, and taste like an orange it must be an orange. LOL Sorry.

Forgot when you take your application in to a DOS agent, they will look at your photos, yeah, my wife's recopied photo does have an orange tint to it too, but she ain't an orange, poor workmanship, but it works.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.