Seattle2Cebu

moving to cebu

22 posts in this topic

I had bad experiences bringing a fiance here to the usa and also a fiance that i married. I am going to move to cebu and live there for a year. Are there any people here from cebu or living in cebu? I would like to know what I can get an apartment for. My girlfriend in Cebu says we can get one for 5,000 pesos. My problem with her is that she doesnt speak much english. So you may ask why the heck I would move there. Well thats my problem. I am going to teach her english when I get there. What would I expect to pay for food for one month? I am talking about going cheap. I dont think its easy for an American to get a job there. I understand after you are married, that it would be easier and not require a work permit. I understand the pay is much less in the Philippines. I dont have a lot of money, but Im working and saving to take enough money to live there until I get a job. Ya im crazy, so what. So if anyone from Cebu would like to throw in any advice about getting an apartment etc. ok thanks

Hello there,i dont exactly know the living standard in Cebu,but i believe you will live like a King if you have 1k USD anywhere in the philippines....goodluck..

Mj

3561055465_7e32541543_m.jpg3561659436_e8b5cc66fc_m.jpg

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

To work the love into practical things so nothing can divide us

Grant us a Love that grows stronger with each passing year.

We ask for words both kind and loving

and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.

Guide us to overcome every challenge

and keep our dreams pure to each other always.

Dear Lord,we put our marriage into Your hands.Amen

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

Do you like sweating all the time and do you mind hot /possibly humid weather, have you experience monsoon rains and flooding.

Most Americans can't deal with the humidity for too long, maybe a few years but then bail out.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

I admire your determination in looking for love despite the failures of your past relationships. But always keep your eyes and ears open with your surroundings incase you really want to pursue your move to Cebu. Most places in Cebu are safe to live and as much as a lot of people are so nice and hospitable but some are just an a-hole and good in taking advantage specially with foreigners.

Goodluck! :) Hope this one is for good.

bunbunard20090713_-6_ETHAN.png

I-751 Lifting Conditions Timeline

April 06, 2010 - mailed I-751 documents via usps express mail(overnight)with delivery confirmation

April 07, 2010 - packet delivered and signed

April 12, 2010 - check was cashed

April 13, 2010 - received NOA1 (dated 04/08/10)

May 07, 2010 - Biometrics

May 10, 2010 - Touched

June 23, 2010 - APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!

DSC00770.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I had bad experiences bringing a fiance here to the usa and also a fiance that i married. I am going to move to cebu and live there for a year. Are there any people here from cebu or living in cebu? I would like to know what I can get an apartment for. My girlfriend in Cebu says we can get one for 5,000 pesos. My problem with her is that she doesnt speak much english. So you may ask why the heck I would move there. Well thats my problem. I am going to teach her english when I get there. What would I expect to pay for food for one month? I am talking about going cheap. I dont think its easy for an American to get a job there. I understand after you are married, that it would be easier and not require a work permit. I understand the pay is much less in the Philippines. I dont have a lot of money, but Im working and saving to take enough money to live there until I get a job. Ya im crazy, so what. So if anyone from Cebu would like to throw in any advice about getting an apartment etc. ok thanks

Food will be cheap there...no worries....as long as you don't go out and eat out everyday :lol: As for jobs, maybe you can start a business? Anyways...God bless on your decision and good luck !!

"One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life."

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F NOA1 : Oct 3, 2008

Interview for AOS: approved on Dec 16, 2009

Greencard received: January 4, 2010

As for jobs, maybe you can start a business?

Good luck on your adventure. If you can stock-up on enough cash to live, I'd say go for it! What I will never understand is why there is always the perception that starting a business is the "ticket" to a good life in the RP. Running a business is tough, no matter where you are. When over half of new American businesses fail within the year, why is it any different in the RP? What with the economy so tough, both here and there, I personally don't see starting a business as a viable option for most people.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Hello there,i dont exactly know the living standard in Cebu,but i believe you will live like a King if you have 1k USD anywhere in the philippines....goodluck..

Mj

I beg to disagree the description you don't live like a King in Philippines at $1k only but at least you live decent enough compare to most locals. Remember if you look for really good food it's almost the same price in the states. Branded stuffs are even higher price in Philippines and also electronics. Medicines are higher too but doctors services are way cheaper. Hope you can adjust living in Cebu.

Mj

I beg to disagree the description you don't live like a King in Philippines at $1k only but at least you live decent enough compare to most locals. Remember if you look for really good food it's almost the same price in the states. Branded stuffs are even higher price in Philippines and also electronics. Medicines are higher too but doctors services are way cheaper. Hope you can adjust living in Cebu.

I'd tend to disagree abit with this also. Although you can live on less than this, for most westerners $1000 a month is about the minium to get by and have what most would consider a decent life style. It can be very boring there you need to have some disposable income to travel, have a couple of birthday parties a month for the relatives, throw in a fiesta or two, maybe a couple of baptisms, and an ocassionally bored spouse and you willl need cash :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.