trailmix

This house is for sale

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, I am hoping to get some feedback from you all.

This link if for a house for sale in Calgary. It is on a Drive - so a main-ish road, however it is 1 block from a good Elementary school and also a bonus that it is on a bus line. Big lot, nice and clean.

Can you all please tell me: (say you are just shopping around for a house and you come across this listing)

What your honest first impressions are

Would you want to go see it based on the information and pictures there?

What do you see when you look at the pictures? (BTW this isn't my house, so feel free to be really honest :lol: )

and anything else you want to add of course!

If for any reason you get thrown back to the search page, the MLS number to look up is C3357271

Here is the listing

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

tee hee...

the inside looks nice.. I'm thinking.. what do they mean about a "very unique floor plan".. does that mean the living room is attached to the master bedroom? :) tee hee..

When I read the listing my gut reaction is that there is work to be done to the windows, basement and the layout..

But it shows nice, my only concern would be what the heck do they mean by unique floor plan.

Oh and the exterior of the house doesn't appeal to me at all..

I think (based mostly on personal preference) I would pass on the listing -

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

I love this house although when I was looking for a house I loved a lot of stuff before I saw it in person! haha

My first impressions are: Looks nice enough. Decent sized house and lot.

Would I go see it?: For $419,000, no. I don't think it is worth that but maybe the area it is in is why it is that price. I could get more here in NJ though for that kind of money and that is saying a lot I think considering NJ has some of the highest property values in the US.

Pictures: I like open concept which it has. The kitchen appliances look kinda old. I love the floors! I love all the light that comes into the place. I'm worried that there are 3 bathrooms and only one is shown here...makes me thing the other two could be a mess and need major updates/repair.

Also in the description it says "Unfinished room in basement - just needs insulating and drywall"... just needs insulation and drywall? That is kind of a big job if you aren't super handy.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I think it looks nice, good first impression. I like all of the sunlight, the inside looks bright and warm, the outside of the house looks a bit older but not bad at all!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Houses in Calgary are not cheap, my sister lives there. Doesn't Bi-level mean lot of stairs? lol I hate stairs and stairs and stairs,lol I noticed when I was in Calgary this past summer--lot more houses on the market in years past, and the prices have come down a bit. Too be honest, i dont care for the exterior look. Depending on the area, price may be ok!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I would not pay that price for that house though, no matter what location it's in.

And bi-levels don't necessarily have a lot of stairs. We were looking at a bi-level that had a set of stairs going up and one going down to the basement and it was only like 6 steps both ways.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

If I saw the listing, i wouldn't take time to look at it, buts that just me, and my wife hates bi-levels--and she has the final say! lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Depending on the neighborhood and u liked the house, it could be very well priced.

Timeline

Yes but Flames, they are houses around me going for 350K and are brand new, 4 bed, 3 bath houses on half an acre in a good location. (anywhere in new jersey is a good location)....

That doesn't look like a half a million dollar house, no matter what neighborhood you put it in.

I wonder if someone can find some houses in the same number and see what they are priced at/look like

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Do you know the Calgary market?? I don't that well, I'm just saying it "may" be a good deal. One can't compare Calgary to DC or New jersey! Were looking at houses right now between DC and Baltimore, and expect to pay around $450,000. And a house like that could go around 400,000 or even more, all depending on what area ur looking in. It is all about location and the school districts

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.