Kathryn41

Child born on flight over Canada deemed Canadian citizen

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Ohhh wow that's so funny! What if the baby was born over the ocean?! :unsure:

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
Then it would belong to the SEA!

sebastian.jpg

:lol:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I am surprised a mother to be would risk her life and her child by flying that far into the pregnancy.

Interesting case though, since the women never really touch "ground" in Canada, I am surprised they did that.

I wonder if the mother was hoping to have the child in the US?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Hard to say. The article does make reference to the fact that the child being recognized as Canadian was allowed into the US - think of the visa nightmare that would otherwise ensue with the ####### retentive US customs and immigration service being presented with a baby that had no visa? I suspect that this might have been a partial factor in the situation. It will be interesting to see how the child's other citizenships occur - Ugandan from the mother (does Uganda recognize dual citizens?). Is the father also Ugandan or American or some other nationality? I suspect this child will have an interesting life.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

People here were talking about the story. It was in Boston's news headlines.. I didn't realize there was a CDN connection.

Really random.. wow.. I wondered if the woman was coming seeking refugee status or what her situation was in flying to the US at that late state in her pregnancy. I wish they had gone into more details on that..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
I'm surprised the airline even let her board the flight.

Exactly. I saw this last week and was scratching my head. Why would you choose to travel at 9 months and why would someone LET you travel at 9 months? Think of the liability of the airline if something had gone with the baby? It just seems really odd to me.

Not to mention, now you have a wacky situation with where the child is born VS citizenship, etc. What a silly thing to do in my opinion.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

well that's why i wondered if this was some sort of refuge issue or some emergency situation where she needed to get to a safe place I guess.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

I am surprised a mother to be would risk her life and her child by flying that far into the pregnancy.

Interesting case though, since the women never really touch "ground" in Canada, I am surprised they did that.

I wonder if the mother was hoping to have the child in the US?

I am surprised the airline allowed her to board :unsure:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Wow, what an interesting story indeed! Thanks for sharing that with us here Kathryn!

Though as for the pregnant mother being able to fly on an airplane when they are in their last month of pregnancy is beyond my comprehension, as from what I've read (lol..ok, I've been reading a lot of information about pregnancy lately) air travel is generally not recommended after the 36th week/the eighth month of pregnancy, and the pregnant mother in this case was more along in her pregnancy than that when travelling...

As for the issue with the baby being granted Canadian citizenship, I agree that it has more to do with legalities than the practicality of the situation. The baby needed to have a visa in order to land, otherwise they would not let the baby go through customs. However, I think that since the baby landed in the USA (and did not even land/set foot in Canada), and was also treated in the hospital in Boston in the USA afterwards, they should have been given US Citizenship instead. On other hand, they could have triple citizenships, be it that: a) Their parent was Ugandian b )They were born in Canada (lol...Canadian airspace to be exact) and c) Their birth would most likely be registered in the USA...Oh what an interesting life story for this baby, indeed!

Hmmm...On a humourous note: I wonder what would happen if I drove my car and parked it on the Peace Bridge, went into labour there, and our Baby is born there....Our Baby will be Canadian and American then, as the bridge is both Canadian and American...Then again, I could just go the "simple route" and register an American birth to a Canadian parent with the Canadian Consulate instead...rofl.... :rofl:

On a somewhat humourous/serious note (which I'm kind of freaking out about, help!, anyone have any advice about that here too?): I wonder what would happen if I went into labour and gave birth to our Baby at the local USCIS immigration office. Scary thought really, but it could be a possiblity, as it just so happens that in July 2009 I could be called for an interview at the USCIS office regarding a decision on my I-751 case, and our Baby is due at around the same time (see my signature below). Lol..will they grant me automatic American citizenship in this case (or at least, they better approve my I-751/10yr green card application)...rofl.... :rofl:

Good luck everyone, on your immigration journeys. Lesson learned from this story: Do not travel when late in pregnancy, as the baby could be born with an "interesting life" indeed!

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC, Still waiting for Baby...)

Hard to say. The article does make reference to the fact that the child being recognized as Canadian was allowed into the US - think of the visa nightmare that would otherwise ensue with the ####### retentive US customs and immigration service being presented with a baby that had no visa? I suspect that this might have been a partial factor in the situation. It will be interesting to see how the child's other citizenships occur - Ugandan from the mother (does Uganda recognize dual citizens?). Is the father also Ugandan or American or some other nationality? I suspect this child will have an interesting life.
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Timeline

Interesting. I wonder what would motivate her to do that? The flight was only 6 hours old when she went into labour. From my experience with childbirth, that means she would have been well into labour before she even boarded the flight. But, obviously, all child birth experiences are not the same. She could be one one of those Moms who just drops them out in 20 minutes. lol. The other interesting aspect is that she boarded in Amsterdam. If she was looking to have her child born to another citizenship The Netherlands is a pretty good place to be.

Hmmm...On a humourous note: I wonder what would happen if I drove my car and parked it on the Peace Bridge, went into labour there, and our Baby is born there....Our Baby will be Canadian and American then, as the bridge is both Canadian and American...Then again, I could just go the "simple route" and register an American birth to a Canadian parent with the Canadian Consulate instead...rofl.... :rofl:

Your baby will be Canadian and American whether you give birth on the Peace Bridge or not. :hehe:

On a somewhat humourous/serious note (which I'm kind of freaking out about, help!, anyone have any advice about that here too?): I wonder what would happen if I went into labour and gave birth to our Baby at the local USCIS immigration office. Scary thought really, but it could be a possiblity, as it just so happens that in July 2009 I could be called for an interview at the USCIS office regarding a decision on my I-751 case, and our Baby is due at around the same time (see my signature below). Lol..will they grant me automatic American citizenship in this case (or at least, they better approve my I-751/10yr green card application)...rofl.... :rofl:

Wow. You're really having pregnant mother imagination stretches, aren't you? :lol: The chances of this happening are slim-to-none. I'd start finding something else to worry about.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Krikit,

Lol..just kidding about the Peace Bridge thing....kind of being :wacko: there, I suppose....Lol..the only place I'll be travelling to at that late in the pregnancy is the local hospital anyways...

:rofl: ....I have an overactive imagination, despite pregnancy. But yeah, as for the really overactive imagination, I can especially "blame it on the pregnancy hormones"....

As for the chances of this I-751 interview happening with immigration (which the I-751 interview is only about a 10% chance of happening, so I've been told) and the Baby being born at the same time...who knows....as the USCIS can be really unpredictable at times in terms of how they handle cases and babies are unpredictable about their births too...but if both events ever happened at the same time....yup, I will definitely win the "10yr green card and Baby lottery" there!...wow.... :blink:

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC, Still waiting for Baby...)

Your baby will be Canadian and American whether you give birth on the Peace Bridge or not. :hehe:

Wow. You're really having pregnant mother imagination stretches, aren't you? :lol: The chances of this happening are slim-to-none. I'd start finding something else to worry about.

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.