11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I would like to know how long does a couple have to know each other before they were wed to be approved by the CO?

Right now I am split between the K1 and K3 visa.

We're not married yet...but we made the intentions to wed... the only thing that's hanging on me is that k1 we'd have to known each other for 2 years and saw each other face to face with in that time.

That's pretty long-

K3 visa I heard that the min.. is 8 months... but the proecess takes longer then the K1.

He doesn't want to wait a year to get married but I'm afriad if we get married say with in 2-4 months fomr now the CO may think it's fraud. :help:

Iman

Iman

Hi All,

I would like to know how long does a couple have to know each other before they were wed to be approved by the CO?

We're not married yet...but we made the intentions to wed... the only thing that's hanging on me is that k1 we'd have to known each other for 2 years and saw each other face to face with in that time.

That's pretty long-

K3 visa I heard that the min.. is 8 months... but the proecess takes longer then the K1.

He doesn't want to wait a year to get married but I'm afriad if we get married say with in 2-4 months fomr now the CO may think it's fraud. :help:

Iman

I hate to break it to you, but right now the K-1 visas are even being held up due to IMBRA. I am sure someone can give you the link to the IMBRA info. As far as there being a certain amount of time that you must know eachother, I would have to say it is all down to who deals with your case and passes it on to the next phase. I haven't heard of anyone having a hard time and not getting approved because they haven't known eachother for a long time. You will have to prove that you have a valid relationship when you go for your interview which you should be able to do if you have pics and any other documents that would link you together. Phone bills, emails, written letters, gifts that may have been sent through post etc.

Hope this helps..

Laura Mitchell

Love is not an EMOTION or FEELING....

That if made from the heart...will outlast ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117 (shortcuts)

TIMELINE

04/29/2006......MARRIED MY VERY OWN CLOWN WOOOHOOOO

Now we are through with immigration until the end of 2008. Please read my timeline to see our process. Remember, patience is a beatuiful thing if you can remember to keep it...I will be damned if we did lol. We are all here on this site for the same reason...lets all help one another...

"the only thing that's hanging on me is that k1 we'd have to known each other for 2 years and saw each other face to face with in that time"

Your interpretation is incorrect... you only have to prove the validity of your relationship and prove that you have MET each other in person WITHIN the last 2 years. Length of relationship is not an issue.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

"the only thing that's hanging on me is that k1 we'd have to known each other for 2 years and saw each other face to face with in that time"

Your interpretation is incorrect... you only have to prove the validity of your relationship and prove that you have MET each other in person WITHIN the last 2 years. Length of relationship is not an issue.

Oh wow

I thought we had to have known each other for the last two years and met with in that time...WOW

Thanks for the advise... Are the two the same now... i mean time wise...

Is it better to apply for the K1 or get married and then apply for the K3?

Iman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oh wow

I thought we had to have known each other for the last two years and met with in that time...WOW

No one can tell you this with any certainty. There are too many variables that come into play. IMBRA has just added itself as another one.

Take a look at others' timelines who have gone through Tunisia for starters.

Actually, I see there aren't enough data to get a good comparison through Tunisia.

Oh wow

No one can tell you this with any certainty. There are too many variables that come into play. IMBRA has just added itself as another one.

Take a look at others' timelines who have gone through Tunisia for starters.

Actually, I see there aren't enough data to get a good comparison through Tunisia.

My thing is that we're fairly new in the relationship but we know that we want to marry each other... So I mentioned a year from now and he said that's to long to not be married.

But I thought that if we are married with in the year the CO wouldn't doubt our relationship because we met at a certian date and time...

I have a friend you met her fiance 2 month ago and is leaving to go over and marry him next week.. She said she and him might have to make up story as to how long they've known each other.

I don't want to do that... that's why I said a year from now... I know I should base my relationship on someone else... But I just don't want an trype of drama or anything when it comes down to the paper work...

Iman

Sorry about that one, I think the forms are getting to me lol. Yes it asks whether you have met not how long you have known eachother. But you will have to show proof of your relationship when it comes to the interview. THanks guys for clearing that one up!

Right now I am upto my eyeballs here in paperwork and it seems as if there isn't an end!!!

Laura Mitchell

Love is not an EMOTION or FEELING....

That if made from the heart...will outlast ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117 (shortcuts)

TIMELINE

04/29/2006......MARRIED MY VERY OWN CLOWN WOOOHOOOO

Now we are through with immigration until the end of 2008. Please read my timeline to see our process. Remember, patience is a beatuiful thing if you can remember to keep it...I will be damned if we did lol. We are all here on this site for the same reason...lets all help one another...

Iman,

You seem to have some misunderstandings. There is no required time that two people must have know each other to petition for either a fiance(e) or a spouse, or to qualify for the subsequent visa.

Yodrak

Hi All,

That's pretty long-

He doesn't want to wait a year to get married but I'm afriad if we get married say with in 2-4 months fomr now the CO may think it's fraud.

Iman

Edited by Yodrak

Iman,

You seem to have some misunderstandings. There is no required time that two people must have know each other to petition for either a fiance(e) or a spouse, or to qualify for the subsequent visa.

Yodrak

Hi All,

That's pretty long-

He doesn't want to wait a year to get married but I'm afriad if we get married say with in 2-4 months fomr now the CO may think it's fraud.

Iman

Thanks guys for clearing this up... The Embassy just have to know that the relationship is real... but photos emails etc.

Iman

hi,

there is no required time that people have to know each other before they get a visa issued. That would be insane. I mean some people know each other for years, some weeks or months....and get married. So i dont think that the time is important. As long as you have strong proof of your relationship you should be good :).

Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

02/28/06...NOA1....I-130 VSC

May 2006..Medical in Frankfurt

06/14/06...I-130 approved via email [day 111]

06/19/06...NOA2....I-130 received via mail

07/10/06...talked to embassy to expedite the process

07/12/06...NVC stated case completed and sent to FRANKFURT[day 147]

07/17/06...received packet 3 from embassy

07/29/06...received packet 4

08/15/06...INTERVIEW at 7:30am- APPROVED

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

08/23/06...I am back home

09/20/06...received greencard in mail

09/27/06...received SSC in Mail

09/23/07...our daughter was born :)

30/05/07...filed for Removal of Conditions

07/05/08...received NOA for I-751

01/07/08...college here I come :)

waiting for biometrics and Approval.....

usa1.gifKeith & IsabelgermanyWHT_rd30.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.