ILuvMyAussieGirl

Other Names Used or Aliases

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, we filed our K-1 petition and it was approved in late December.

However, there is one concern we have before going to the interview. My fiancee was born in S. Korea then moved to Australia at the age of 5. When she went back to S. Korea to renew her passport at age 15, her attorney created new translations that changed the spelling of her name. She has since been living in Australia with the new spelling of her name.

On the I-129F petition packet, she only put her current name on the G-325A form. Now we're looking at the DS-230 Part I form that she has to fill out before getting the interview date. If she puts the other spelling of her name (from age 5 to age 15) on the "Other Names used or Aliases," would it cause us any problems?

The reason we ask is because the DS 230 Part I form asks for the names of the schools she attended. She attended elementary and high school in Australia but the school records are under the old spelling of her name. When she came back to Australia after renewing her passport, she didn't tell the school to update her name. We're concerned that if the Sydney Consulate tried to look up her school records using the new spelling of her name, they won't find them.

What should we do? Please help!!

Edited by ILuvMyAussieGirl

Our Timeline

June 22nd, 2008: Got engaged in Sydney!

August 9th, 2008: Mailed I-129F Petition

August 11th, 2008: I-129F Petition received, signed by V SEMEGI

August 12th, 2008: NOA1 issued

August 13th, 2008: Touched

August 18th, 2008: NOA1 sent

August 20th, 2008: NOA1 hard copy received!

December 19th, 2008: Touched

December 21st, 2008: Touched (on a Sunday?)

December 22nd, 2008: NOA2 sent!

December 27th, 2008: NOA2 hard copy received

December 31st, 2008: NVC mailed petition to Sydney Consulate

January 13th, 2009: fiancée received packet 3 from Sydney Consulate

Feb 11th, 2009: fiancée returned packet 3 documents to Sydney Consulate

Feb 12th, 2009: Sydney Consulate received packet

March 6th, 2009: fiancée inquired about packet 3's status,

March 9th, 2009: Sydney Consulate claims that the interview notice was emailed out on Feb 13th, 2009 for Feb 24th and that she never showed up for the interview!!!!

March 10th, 2009: After some arguing with the Consulate, they've rescheduled an interview

March 17th, 2009: Interview is at 8AM, fiancée, approved!!!

March 19th, 2009: Fiancée received visa in the mail along with yellow envelope for POE

March 28th, 2009: I'm flying to Sydney

April 5th, 2009: We're flying back together!

April 21st, 2009: Got legally married!

PLEASE EMAIL YOUR CONSULATE A FEW DAYS AFTER MAILING IN YOUR PACKET 3 DOCUMENTS JUST IN CASE THEY EMAIL YOU AN APPOINTMENT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AND YOU END UP NOT RECEIVING IT. THEY DO EMAILS NOW!!!!

Timeline
i had a similar problem so i just put every single name i was known by and put the paperwork to support it

But we didn't put this information on the original I-129F petition. Would this constitute as a material misrepresentation? It wasn't intentional... Also, what kind of paperwork would be sufficient to show this? Can she include a photocopy of her old passport with the other spelling?

Her name is Hey Lym but the old spelling is "Hye Rim." They sound the same. Koreans just spell it in English in both ways.

Our Timeline

March 9th, 2009: Sydney Consulate claims that the interview notice was emailed out on Feb 13th, 2009 for Feb 24th and that she never showed up for the interview!!!!

March 10th, 2009: After some arguing with the Consulate, they've rescheduled an interview

March 19th, 2009: Fiancée received visa in the mail along with yellow envelope for POE

PLEASE EMAIL YOUR CONSULATE A FEW DAYS AFTER MAILING IN YOUR PACKET 3 DOCUMENTS JUST IN CASE THEY EMAIL YOU AN APPOINTMENT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AND YOU END UP NOT RECEIVING IT. THEY DO EMAILS NOW!!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I seriously doubt the consulate will look at any school records...

They don't generally but the birth certificate would probably not match the passport, so I'd indicate the old spelling like this. Su Kim was Soo Kim (old spelling) or something to that effect.

I actually am known by my middle name so with "James Edgar Pushbrk" as my full name, I simply indicated J. Edgar Pushbrk as another name used. I did this because my driver license, credit cards and checks bear that name. I figure that was enough for them to figure out who "Ed Pushbrk" was in the personal correspondence. Names have been changed to protect me.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
I seriously doubt the consulate will look at any school records...

They don't generally but the birth certificate would probably not match the passport, so I'd indicate the old spelling like this. Su Kim was Soo Kim (old spelling) or something to that effect.

I actually am known by my middle name so with "James Edgar Pushbrk" as my full name, I simply indicated J. Edgar Pushbrk as another name used. I did this because my driver license, credit cards and checks bear that name. I figure that was enough for them to figure out who "Ed Pushbrk" was in the personal correspondence. Names have been changed to protect me.

Her birth certificate is in Korean and she'll get it translated. Can the translator just use the spelling that's currently on her passport? Then just leave out "other names used?"

Our main concern is putting this information in the DS-230 Part I form that the consulate will be sending and if they check the G-325A form that was submitted with the I-129F petition, they will see that she didn't put the old spelling on there. I don't want her to get banned simply because of the way her name was spelled. If we do put the old spelling under "other names" we'll have to provide evidence to support it, which we don't really have except the old passport (she'd have to look to see if she even has this).

Our Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.