RyDa

Bar Codes on I-134 - what are they for?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I just received the financial documents from my fiance and his mom (she's our co-sponsor). Well, his affidavit looks fine, but hers has no bar codes. We used the new form from the USCIS site, and I guess her printer didn't print out the bar codes. Do you think that would be a problem? Do they actually scan them or smth at the embassy? I already asked my fiancee to have her fill it out once again and print it out on his printer and sign and email to me ( no time for snail mail left), so I WILL have the copy. But I'm still worried.

Thanks!

:star:

AOS Timeline

04/16/2009 - Marriage

04/10/2010 - Sent the paperwork

04/13/2010 - USCIS received the package

04/19/2010 - SMS and emails about NOA's

04/22/2010 - NOA's (I485 and I765) arrived in mail

05/13/2010 - Biometrics letter arrived in mail

06/04/2010 - Biometrics

06/07/2010 - AOS and EAD touches

06/08/2010 - AOS and EAD touches

06/18/2010 - EAD Card production ordered

06/21/2010 - Received inteview appointment letter in the mail

07/01/2010 - EAD arrived in mail

07/26/2010 - Interview

08/01/2010 - Green Card arrived in mail

Lifting Conditions Timeline

07/16/2012 - NOA1

08/11/2012 - Biometrics

02/23/2013 - RFE

03/01/2013 - RFE Response sent

03/11/2013 - Text message and email notification that Card Production has been ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey guys!

I just received the financial documents from my fiance and his mom (she's our co-sponsor). Well, his affidavit looks fine, but hers has no bar codes. We used the new form from the USCIS site, and I guess her printer didn't print out the bar codes. Do you think that would be a problem? Do they actually scan them or smth at the embassy? I already asked my fiancee to have her fill it out once again and print it out on his printer and sign and email to me ( no time for snail mail left), so I WILL have the copy. But I'm still worried.

Thanks!

Do not worry! We went through this at the consulate with our DS-156 forms. I had downloaded them and rather than fill them out online, I just printed them. This means I skipped the step where the "bar code" is assigned and applied. When we got to the consulate we were told by someone outside (do NOT listen to these people!) that we could not go in without a bar code! Another man, some sort of security supervisor or something, said to allow us in anyway. There was absolutely NO question about it inside! When we received our visa (pink slip) no questions asked, I asked the CO about this. He said the only thing anyone needs to see outside is your passport for identification. If there are any problems you will be told INSIDE. I asked about the bar code and he said..."oh, we assigned a bar code to it" like it was absolutely not a big deal...and this was on the DS-156! My fiancee was also allowed to make a change where we made an error on her son's DS-156, wrong birthdate! She crossed it off, changed it, initialed it and that was all. This was done before the "interview". I detailed all of this in my review of the consulate (see my timeline)

The important thing is that you have all the papers and documents they say to have. They WILL go down the list when you turn your papers in (that is more of an "interview" than the interview!) If there are any corrections needed, they will tell you and give the opportunity to correct...or in the case of bar codes, correct themselves. Believe me, they are NOT that bad! They do not try to trick you or make excuses to deny your visa, really. The day we were there, there was 5 other K-1 applicants. One had a problem with her fiance's I-134 which they found the answer to and my fiancee had a problem with her son's DS-156 which they corrected with her. Everyone got their visa!

And yes, I HIGHLY recommend the US citizen being there, if possible. The other woman that had a problem was by herself, they had a question about her fiance's tax return and she had no clue! Fortunately the consulate staff found the answer looking through the papers. But the poor girl was panicked!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Do you think that would be a problem?

Do not worry!

Thanks Gary! I hope everything will be ok. My fiancee won't be there, because he got this job not so long ago, and can't take any days off yet.

Anyway, I think I'll just keep being paranoid till Monday, cuz I can't help it :wacko:

U said they assignated barcodes to your DS-156. How do they do that? Like stickers or smth?

Edited by RyDa

AOS Timeline

04/16/2009 - Marriage

06/04/2010 - Biometrics

07/26/2010 - Interview

07/16/2012 - NOA1

08/11/2012 - Biometrics

02/23/2013 - RFE

03/11/2013 - Text message and email notification that Card Production has been ordered

Timeline

Do not worry!

Thanks Gary! I hope everything will be ok. My fiancee won't be there, because he got this job not so long ago, and can't take any days off yet.

Anyway, I think I'll just keep being paranoid till Monday, cuz I can't help it :wacko:

U said they assignated barcodes to your DS-156. How do they do that? Like stickers or smth?

If you will be there Monday, you will likely see Brad and Vika, other members here. I am sure Brad would not mind giving you some support or pointers if he can.

I never actually saw how they do it (assign bar codes). We turned in our papers, nothing was said about the bar code, or lack thereof. When they gave us the visa documents I asked, and the man said "oh, we assigned one" but I never saw our DS-156 again after we gave it at the information window and I really didn't care. :)

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do not worry!

If you will be there Monday, you will likely see Brad and Vika, other members here. I am sure Brad would not mind giving you some support or pointers if he can.

I never actually saw how they do it (assign bar codes). We turned in our papers, nothing was said about the bar code, or lack thereof. When they gave us the visa documents I asked, and the man said "oh, we assigned one" but I never saw our DS-156 again after we gave it at the information window and I really didn't care. :)

more than likely considering all appointment times are the same

YMMV

Yep! I know! We both have appointments at 9:30 on Monday. Since Brad has several pictures in his signature I will trcogniza them and will definitely come up to say hi. I'll say u guys said hi too! J/K :) It's just so funny - I remember reading Brad's posts when we just sent the papers in, and we ended up having the interview on the same day....

AOS Timeline

04/16/2009 - Marriage

06/04/2010 - Biometrics

07/26/2010 - Interview

07/16/2012 - NOA1

08/11/2012 - Biometrics

02/23/2013 - RFE

Timeline

Yep! I know! We both have appointments at 9:30 on Monday. Since Brad has several pictures in his signature I will trcogniza them and will definitely come up to say hi. I'll say u guys said hi too! J/K :) It's just so funny - I remember reading Brad's posts when we just sent the papers in, and we ended up having the interview on the same day....

There were two other US citizens there when we went, and 5 other women. The other two men had never heard of VisaJourney but I clued them in. :) Don't know how they made it without it? Oh, yeah...they paid attorneys. Didn't see any attorneys there. :)

Yes, say hello to Brad from Gary and Alla, I sent him a note wishing him luck today. Good luck it isn't so bad, really.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.