daphne2109

What's the difference after getting the 10 yr GC

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm curios to know what the difference is in trying to get the USA citizenship within 3 months before the 3rd anniversary of the 2 yr GC...& trying to become USA citizen any time after receiving the 10 yr GC, what's the difference in it? Can anynone to decide to become USA citizen whenever she/he wants within the 10 yr GC validity?

Does anyone know about it?

And by the way, usually how long it takes to get an answer or whatever, in order to become US a citizen from the time you have filled out the

form N-400? (Sorry if especially this question sounds silly but it is just curioisity of mine.......I'm not sure if I will try to get the US citizenship & if I decide when (first of all I'm still in the process to get my 10 yr GC.......so my question is just a curios question).

Tks for any reply I might get!!!! Good luck for you Journey :star:

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!

N-400:

on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen

ON THE 3RD OF NOV.2010 MY JOURNEY ENDS, WHICH STARTED IN DEC. 2005!!!!!!!THANKS TO VJ & VJ PPL!!!!!!!!

Take a look at the instructions for the N-400: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400ins.pdf

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

No difference. You don't get any special treatment. You have to send in the same documents. I applied after 7 years of getting my 10 yr card. It was not important to me until this year, since I did everything a USC could except vote or work for goverment jobs. It's your call when you want to become a USC after your probation period is up. It's taking any where from 5 to 8 months depending on what office you file at currently. They are trying to get them done in 5 months.

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi. There is no difference. You can apply for citizenship any time you want, after you have met the minimun requirements(3 years residency in case you're married to a USC or 5 year residency in case you're not). Your unconditional permanent residency never expires(the card does, but not your status). I know people who live here for over 10 years now solely on GC and never applied for citizenship. Most of us want to become citizens as soon as we meet the minimun requirements for perosnal resons only(bring family members to live here with us, stay abroad for longer periods of time without jeperdising our US residency, voting in the Ntional elections, or simply because we love this country and we consider it our home now and we want to be a part of it all the way, or for some simply because it is a lot harder to loose the citizenship than it is to loose the resident status). If you don't want to become a citizen of US, have no worry. You can live on GC juat as well all your life.

I noticed it usualy takes more or less, 5 months from the time of filing N400 to when one becomes a citizen.

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
Hi. There is no difference. You can apply for citizenship any time you want, after you have met the minimun requirements(3 years residency in case you're married to a USC or 5 year residency in case you're not). Your unconditional permanent residency never expires(the card does, but not your status). I know people who live here for over 10 years now solely on GC and never applied for citizenship. Most of us want to become citizens as soon as we meet the minimun requirements for perosnal resons only(bring family members to live here with us, stay abroad for longer periods of time without jeperdising our US residency, voting in the Ntional elections, or simply because we love this country and we consider it our home now and we want to be a part of it all the way, or for some simply because it is a lot harder to loose the citizenship than it is to loose the resident status). If you don't want to become a citizen of US, have no worry. You can live on GC juat as well all your life.

I noticed it usualy takes more or less, 5 months from the time of filing N400 to when one becomes a citizen.

Thank you so much guys for your replies now it's more clear to me. I will (in the future) ask for citizenship but I just wanted to know if there was any difference to ask it within 90 days on the 3rd anniversary of the 2 yr Gc or not. I love this country, but of course I love also mine, so one day I will try to become US citizen not in the near future, there is not rush at the moment to me. Tks alot again.

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!

N-400:

on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen

ON THE 3RD OF NOV.2010 MY JOURNEY ENDS, WHICH STARTED IN DEC. 2005!!!!!!!THANKS TO VJ & VJ PPL!!!!!!!!

I'm curios to know what the difference is in trying to get the USA citizenship within 3 months before the 3rd anniversary of the 2 yr GC...& trying to become USA citizen any time after receiving the 10 yr GC, what's the difference in it? Can anynone to decide to become USA citizen whenever she/he wants within the 10 yr GC validity?

Does anyone know about it?

And by the way, usually how long it takes to get an answer or whatever, in order to become US a citizen from the time you have filled out the

form N-400? (Sorry if especially this question sounds silly but it is just curioisity of mine.......I'm not sure if I will try to get the US citizenship & if I decide when (first of all I'm still in the process to get my 10 yr GC.......so my question is just a curios question).

Tks for any reply I might get!!!! Good luck for you Journey :star:

For most of cases, there is not much difference.

But there are some minor difference.

- Oversea travel : As Lawful Permanent Resident(LPR), you should keep your residence in U.S. And when you travel more than 6 months for single travel, and/or when you stay out of U.S. for more than 183 days per year, you may get into trouble to prove your domicile - intention to live in U.S.-

But US Citizen doesn't have limitation like that.

- Immigration Petition : As LPR, you can only invite your spouse, and children using I-130 immigration petition based on family, and it is subjective to annual immigraiton visa quota. But as US Citizen, you can invite your parents, brothers/sisters. Your immidiate family such as parents, spouse, and childeren under 21 years old is not subjective to immigration visa quota at all.

- Voting and social welfare qualification : As a LPR, you can NOT vote for any election, which is entitled to US Citizen. For some cases, if it is allowed to any legal resident, it may be. But you should be very careful. And for some cases, social welfare is limited to US Citizen, too.

Besides, given the situation after 9/11, even for LPR, rules are applied very strictly.

For an example, if you get caught with DUI, you "may" be kicked out from this country because you are LPR, not US Citizen.

For this kind of insecured environment, a lot of people just take the US Citizen course.

At least, US citizenship gives more secured position for that matter.

LPR is still considered as foreign nationality, versus US Citizen is considered as US citizen. :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you apply for citizenship anytime from 3 months before the 3rd anniversary of receiving your GC to 3 months before the 5th anniversary of receiving your GC you are applying "marriage based", and need to provide similar proof, at your citizenship interview, of the legitimacy of your marriage as your supplied at the I-751 interview.

If you wait to apply until after 3 months before the 5th anniversary of receiving your GC, you do not need to supply any of this information. If you are in no hurry to apply for citizenship, it may be nice not to deal with this extra hassle of paperwork.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

They still ask for the docs even after the 5 years. I did it after 7 years and was asked to bring in a a certified copy of my marriage certificate.

My Citizenship Timeline

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
They still ask for the docs even after the 5 years. I did it after 7 years and was asked to bring in a a certified copy of my marriage certificate.

They did? I have my interview on Tuesday - my GC was marriage based, but, that was over 6 years ago. I see nowhere in the instructions that my marriage certificate is required.

In fact, the list is very minimal:

All I am required to take is:

*interview notice letter

*greencard

*passport

That's it - I hope LOL

They do suggest taking two additional passport photos - but, it is stated it is not necessary. I'm not taking them, if photo's are needed I know that are places just outside the office I can have them done at.

I do also plan to take pay stubs for two absences from the US for 5 months each - where I was working for US companies overseas. But, if they don't ask about those absences, I see no reason to bring it up. Based on your experience I'll add in my marriage certificate - can't hurt.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

They did? I have my interview on Tuesday - my GC was marriage based, but, that was over 6 years ago. I see nowhere in the instructions that my marriage certificate is required.

In fact, the list is very minimal:

All I am required to take is:

*interview notice letter

*greencard

*passport

That's it - I hope LOL

They do suggest taking two additional passport photos - but, it is stated it is not necessary. I'm not taking them, if photo's are needed I know that are places just outside the office I can have them done at.

I do also plan to take pay stubs for two absences from the US for 5 months each - where I was working for US companies overseas. But, if they don't ask about those absences, I see no reason to bring it up. Based on your experience I'll add in my marriage certificate - can't hurt.

If you got green card through marriage, they usually ask for marriage certifcate and others.

But it really depends on USCIS adjudicator - also known as Interview officer -.

If they feel everything looks good, they may not ask any further info/documents.

But if they feel they need more info, they can ask for anything.

If you don't have that at the moment, they can hold your case by asking request for evidence (RFE).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We applied for my wife even before her ten year green card came in so I wouldn't have to staple that card to her forehead and we could say goodbye to the USCIS. Also removed that huge sign to remember to contact the USCIS in case we decided to move. Also that big sign to remind you to renew that card, still can get deported if you forget. Plus the panic of losing or having that card stolen, or mutilated, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace it, costs both arms and both legs to replace it. Her certificate of natualization is locked up in a fireproof safe, but we will probably never have to use that again, just renew her US Passport, others just ask if she is a USC. She says, yes.

The key term here is "was asked' . =) Once I was infront of the IO he did not even bother to look at my docs that I had brought, and I brought all my papers. Like moonhunt stated it all depends on the IO. The only thing he wanted to see from me was my Selective Service registration. Good luck Auscal, let us know how your interview goes.

My Citizenship Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In the letter I recieved it asked to bring numerous items to the interview, which i did. But the only thing he looked at was my passport for a brief few seconds, then handed it back. As well handed over two passport style pictures! And that was it

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.