Grahm&Sarah

Is Russia considered a high fraud consulate?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi everyone, I am new here. I assume Russia is considered this but not sure...have the interviews been particularly tough in Russia? Thanks for any info you can give a newbie. :-)

Grahm&Sarah

On the contrary, my wifes K-1 interview was so easy it was a complete joke. No tough questions at all... just asking her easy questions that he already knew the answers to... apparently to check for slip-ups and to make sure it was a real relationship. She took a bound volume of proof that was never even touched. Her friend recently had an interview just as easy.

Filed: Timeline

In the time I've been on VJ (about 18 months total), I've yet to see anyone denied at the Moscow consulate. I'm sure denials happen, but VJ'ers tend to be in real relationships and they also tend to be very informed and prepared, or at least RU members are. Preparation is the key. If all of your paperwork is complete and accurate and you have the required documentation, you will have no problems.

You're lucky. The people in the RU forum are really well informed, and we've got more than a few still hanging around who have gone completely through the process. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think it's trivial.

And welcome!!

I think there has been a few denials over the four years I have been a VJ member but nothing compared to some embassies like Viet Nam and China.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi guys! Thanks! My big red flag is that I was still married when I met my fiancee. However, I keep reading that this happens quite frequently. I filed my petition right after I got the divorce decree in the mail! That and I don't have a spot-free background, so far people say this won't cause a denial, but we'll see.

I wonder why some consulates are so difficult compared to others, especially when I would guess there is fraud that goes on at ALL OF THEM at some point or another. hmmmm. Anyway, glad to hear Moscow isn't one of them. WHEW.

Grahm&Sarah

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Natasha's interview at the Moscow consulate was a breeze. More time spent waiting around than being interviewed. Vika (Natasha's K-2 daughter) got more questions than Natasha did, and she only got maybe 5 or 6. Took us 3 weeks to actually receive the visa, but the interview was a snap.

Good luck!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

As long as your 'non-spot-free background' doesn't include stuff that would be considered an IMBRA violation, that shouldn't be a problem. I too met Natasha while still legally married, but this didn't even garner a question at the interview. During the AOS interview, We were asked about my prior spouse and why I met Natasha while still legally married, and about Natasha's prior K-1. The feeling I got was they were trying to gauge each other's reaction to see if we both knew these background bits about each other(we did, of course).

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Yeah, as KG says, they don't care if you were married when you met. Despite what a lot of people on VJ will try to lead you to believe, the ONLY requirements for filing a K1 are that you have met within the last 2 years and that you were free to marry when you filed. Feel free to discuss your background if you want, but like KG says, it's only a problem if it's an IMBRA violation.

I think consulates are more fraud aware depending on what kinds of visa fraud violations are detected stateside. If they see a lot of GC marriages from Ecuador, for example, the consulate is going to crack down a lot harder on interviews through Ecuador. I don't know why Russia isn't seen as a high fraud rate country, it seems like it should be. But I don't look that gift horse in the mouth. :)

I don't know why Russia isn't seen as a high fraud rate country, it seems like it should be. But I don't look that gift horse in the mouth. :)

It was a few years ago, not so much anymore.

Graham, welcome to VJ. As said above, you have nothing to worry about provided you're prepared and follow the instructions. Now.... dish! What's your story, where you/Sarah from, etc., etc., etc.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi guys! Thanks! My big red flag is that I was still married when I met my fiancee. However, I keep reading that this happens quite frequently.

You aren't the only one. The fact never came up in any of our interviews (her K1, her K3, her AOS). Mainly because we weren't in such a hurry, we didn't get around to filing the initial I129F until the ink on the divorce decree was five months old. But if you two are well prepared, burdened with plenty of documentary evidence, you shouldn't have any problems.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi everyone, I am new here. I assume Russia is considered this but not sure...have the interviews been particularly tough in Russia? Thanks for any info you can give a newbie. :-)

Grahm&Sarah

The majority of K1 visas get approved. The main reason for denials are not bringing all the requested documents, failure of medical, or do not meet the financial guidelines. When Mariya went for her visa interview there were only about 2 or 3 that did not get their visas approved, and that was due to missing documents. How easy the interview is, depends on the uscis official and their mood. At Mariyas interview their were three different Uscis officials conducting interviews. Two of the interviewing officials approved most people in under five minutes, however Mariya got assigned to the third Uscis official and her interview was over a half an hour. He checked every document but the end result was great, Visa approved. So as long as the medical is passed, the financial guidelines are met, and all the documents are there, you have nothing to worry about. :dance:

And to clarify, missing documents won't get you an outright denial. They'll hold the visa until you can mail them the document. And if you don't meet the poverty guidelines, I remember reading at least one case where they held onto the visa until the petitioner submitted documentation for a co-sponsor. It's difficult to outright be denied. Medical or police record are about the only sure-fire way to be denied at the interview. Everything else, and you'll probably still get to keep your foot in the door long enough to rectify the situation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.