mox

Ozersk on NPR

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Interesting story on NPR this morning about the Ozersk nuclear disaster. You can read/listen to it here. With the current global economic meltdown, coupled with United Russia's stranglehold on Russian politics, one wonders how many more of these types of situations are either waiting to happen or are already happening but unreported, and how any of this relates to pie.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I gave this a listen, Mox, and it was informative. Natasha was born in the Chelyabinsk region. She also related a story to me about the Volgodonsk nuclear power station, and its malfunction in May of 2006 (still not officially confirmed, I believe, by the Russian government), which was just a couple of months after my first visit to the city!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Timeline

Also, my story relates to pie in the following manner: While on the aforementioned visit to Volgodonsk, we often visited Natasha's sister, Ulyana. On 2 occasions, Ulyana made for us what Natasha called pie, and which I will describe for you now (Natasha is at work so I can't get the Russian name of this dish. Natasha called it 'Apple pie').

Imagine a really flaky, thin pie crust. Now imagine many such layers stacked up with a thin apple paste in between the layers. I'm told beer goes into the batter, or maybe it was the paste, I don't remember. Very tasty.

Filed: Timeline
Also, my story relates to pie in the following manner: While on the aforementioned visit to Volgodonsk, we often visited Natasha's sister, Ulyana. On 2 occasions, Ulyana made for us what Natasha called pie, and which I will describe for you now (Natasha is at work so I can't get the Russian name of this dish. Natasha called it 'Apple pie').

Imagine a really flaky, thin pie crust. Now imagine many such layers stacked up with a thin apple paste in between the layers. I'm told beer goes into the batter, or maybe it was the paste, I don't remember. Very tasty.

I think I've had this...do they cook the apples in cognac?

I knew when I heard the story that I remembered one of us had family from Chelyabinsk. Couldn't remember who tho.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife was born and raised in Mailuu-Suu Kyrgyzstan, listed as one of the top ten most polluted cities in the world thanks to their uranium mining operation. See http://www.worst-city.com/Mailuu-Suu-Kyrgy...aces-Cities.htm

My wife's step father was a miner there, and to top it off he "volunteered" with the clean up of Chernobyl. Most of his friends who did the same are now dead. He is in very poor health and totally disabled. This was a closed city in Soviet times, but the plus side was that they had everything they needed or wanted. My wife was warned when she was young to stay out of the river, and not to eat any fruits or nuts growing in the area. She does have some health issues and I certainly wonder about the effects of the radiation exposure while she was young.

Another former Soviet city to add to the list of most dangerous and polluted places to live.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Did you also eat mushrooms gathered fresh from the field?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

My wife is originally from Amursk in the Khabarovsk region. According to her the major "fabrika" during Soviet times was the "bullet factory" so there's really not much.... hey, wait a minute...... (checks effects of "lead poisoning/bi-polar disorder" on Google)..... now that explains a lot. Just a quick check yields all of these symptoms.

Aggression, violence, hostility, anti-social or delinquent behaviour

Attention problems; distractibility, restlessness

Externalising and internalising behaviours

Hyperactive behaviours, difficult to manage

Inappropriate / uncontrolled behaviours similar to ADD behaviours, increased frequency

Irritability

Lethargy

Increased school absenteeism

OK. So, next time she gets all "feisty" (or misses school!) I can tell her to "get the lead out."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Almost forgot - pie.

She makes a mean meat pie! (Hope it doesn't have lead in it.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My wife is originally from Amursk in the Khabarovsk region. According to her the major "fabrika" during Soviet times was the "bullet factory" so there's really not much.... hey, wait a minute...... (checks effects of "lead poisoning/bi-polar disorder" on Google)..... now that explains a lot. Just a quick check yields all of these symptoms.

Aggression, violence, hostility, anti-social or delinquent behaviour

Attention problems; distractibility, restlessness

Externalising and internalising behaviours

Hyperactive behaviours, difficult to manage

Inappropriate / uncontrolled behaviours similar to ADD behaviours, increased frequency

Irritability

Lethargy

Increased school absenteeism

OK. So, next time she gets all "feisty" (or misses school!) I can tell her to "get the lead out."

be careful with that, she might cap a few rounds in you.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Oh good Lord no! Even now, if Natasha sees a mushroom in the food she eats at a restaurant, she will ask me if it's safe.

Oh good Lord no! Even now, if Natasha sees a mushroom in the food she eats at a restaurant, she will ask me if it's safe.

Better safe than sorry :lol:

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Better safe than sorry :lol:

Heh. Well, what passes for mushrooms in this country may be safe, but sure is lacking in the taste department compared to what you can get in RU. On the other hand I'll take tasteless mushrooms over death most days of the week. :D

You are right about the taste. I ate plenty of mushroom and potato meals in Belarus, and the mushrooms came from folks just selling them at roadside. I guess I was living more dangerously than normal, but what the hell. If glowing in the dark is part of the experience, well... :P Maybe I am wrong, but I assumed that several dishes with mushrooms picked many miles from the exclusion zone probably wouldn't hurt too much.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.