Naijabound

Filing following divorce

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My divorce was final Dec 18, 2008. Im filing my K1 petition Dec 29th 2008. I was separated from my ex since early 2007 but it took awhile to get the divorce proceedings started. I met my SO after my separation. How bad is this looked upon when filing and at the time of his interview? Someone in another post on another topic mentioned this doesnt look good. Has anyone been through this same situation and had any problems? Let me add to that he will be interviewing when the time comes in Nigeria, which from my understanding is a high fraud area. Thanks

K1 Journey:

Filed: 2009-01-12... USCIS Approved: 2009-06-05... 1st Interview/Admin Review: 2009-09-09...2nd Interview/Approved: 2010-01-27

AOS Journey:

Filed: 2010-05-20... Interview: 2010-11-30... Approved: 2010-12-03... Card Rcvd: 2010-12-18...

Whew! Done!.... Well, for the next two years anyway...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

It will just be more important to provide ample proof of an ongoing relationship and a clear explanation of the circumstances of meeting. Yes, Nigerians do have a record of attempted fraud.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
My divorce was final Dec 18, 2008. Im filing my K1 petition Dec 29th 2008. I was separated from my ex since early 2007 but it took awhile to get the divorce proceedings started. I met my SO after my separation. How bad is this looked upon when filing and at the time of his interview? Someone in another post on another topic mentioned this doesnt look good. Has anyone been through this same situation and had any problems? Let me add to that he will be interviewing when the time comes in Nigeria, which from my understanding is a high fraud area. Thanks

It is what it is. May I suggest you first study the guides and read many of the previous posts by other members in your preparation for each step before you. Your question is asked here at least as frequently as weekly. Amazingly, the answers tend to be the same each time.

You may also benefit from clicking on the flag under your picture and seeking knowledge from others familiar with the Lagos Consulate, since it is notorious for all sorts of unique issues you'll want to become familiar with and prepare for.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Include a letter explaining why it took so long to get final divorce papers. And when you actually filed for divorce etc.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think there is no problem with that. Technically you are single. Give sufficient evidence to prove ongoing relationship and validity of it. You'll be fine!

Vida Taylor

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Nobody can say that it will be 'just fine' as the answer depends very much on the Embassy you are going through.

For most of us this doesn't create a problem as people are usually aware that a divorce is often finalized well after a relationship has been over. I filed the I-129f the very day my divorce was final. The relationship had been over for years, the divorce just took much time to become final. This was explained to the CO at the interview and accepted as a reasonable answer.

The uscis cares that you are 'free to marry', which you are. ;)

However, a recent divorce, as well as many other things, can often send up a red flag if you are dealing with a high fraud post. As suggested above, supplying as much evidence of ongoing / bona-fide relationship that you can is of utmost importance. Save everything .. every communication, every travel document, every phone call... chances are you will need it.

I would suggest you visit the sub-saharan regional forum here on VJ for more advice in dealing with Nigeria.

good luck!

timeline.jpg

Timeline
moving to K-1

not an adjustment of status issuee

Thanks for the advice everyone.. Sorry about posting under the wrong area- I tried to just post it under the Nigerian forum as that is where I was looking for anyone that had dealt with this situation with that particular embassy to respond but evidently I dont know how to do that...sorry... any advise on how to do that as well would be greatly appreciated.. :whistle:

K1 Journey:

Filed: 2009-01-12... USCIS Approved: 2009-06-05... 1st Interview/Admin Review: 2009-09-09...2nd Interview/Approved: 2010-01-27

AOS Journey:

Filed: 2010-05-20... Interview: 2010-11-30... Approved: 2010-12-03... Card Rcvd: 2010-12-18...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I will move this over there for you. ;)

For future reference, simply click the link I gave you above and click on 'new topic' to post your question in that forum.

timeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree that it is consulate/country/IO specific. These circumstances are similar to my own, and no one 'cared' in the process until the AOS interview, where I was grilled lightly about the 'delay' in getting the divorce. Just be open and honest, which is always good advice.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I didn't have any questions about my divorce through the Ghana consulate. The divorce didn't become final until about one and a half years into our relationship. They didn't ask anything about it but I did include all the paperwork so I suppose they could have just read it all and didn't have any concerns.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

Include a letter explaining why it took so long to get final divorce papers. And when you actually filed for divorce etc.

I would do what this poster suggested. My ex and I had been separated for nearly 3 years and our divorce wasn't finalized until 9 months into my relationship with my current husband. I filed the K-1 4 months later and I sent a letter explaining the issue along with the divorce decree. It shouldn't matter, but you never know what the CO is thinking. It's best to just send an explanation before the interview.

Timeline
I didn't have any questions about my divorce through the Ghana consulate. The divorce didn't become final until about one and a half years into our relationship. They didn't ask anything about it but I did include all the paperwork so I suppose they could have just read it all and didn't have any concerns.

what all paperwork are you referring to? the divorce decrees? any additional letter of explanation as others have stated they done?

K1 Journey:

AOS Journey:

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Send the divorce decree with an explanation when you submit your petition to USCIS.

I have read that this situation is considered a red flag at high fraud posts.( Petitioners divorcing, receiving money in exchange for a petition and then remarrying whoever they were married to. )

If they want to make a big deal out of it at the embassy level , it will be better that the circumstances were explained and submitted to the USCIS

previously and are not something new to pop up during the interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

what all paperwork are you referring to? the divorce decrees? any additional letter of explanation as others have stated they done?

I sent the divorce paperwork from the judge outlining everything that was reviewed. It's not the divorce certificate which is just like one sheet of paper. It's the whole thing that shows the division of property and everything. Even the judges notes was on it cause he was concerned that I wasn't getting enough child support but I just wanted out and had no intention of fighting with my ex anymore over anything.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.