asura

As a spouse of a US citizen, I can start to apply my citizenship 3 years after I received my 2 years conditional green card right?

7 posts in this topic

I married to my husband at US on June 2005 and receieved my 2 years conditional resident card on Feb 2006. By Feb 2009 it's going to be 3 years. I just got approval for my 10 years green card few days ago, so am I able to apply for the citizenship in 2009?

Sigh...it's so expensive tho :angry:

August 2, 2004: I-129F mailed

November 23, 2004 Received Packet from US Consulate HK

December 04, 2004 Request for police report and report sent to US Consulate on 27 December 2004

December 18, 2004 Body check and get result on 7 Jan 2005

January 15, 2005 Sent back the package to US consulate and requested for to schedule for interview

1 February 2005 Interview and approved at the same day YES

March 30, 2005 Fly to US

June 22, 2005 Wedding <3

August 22, 2005 mailed my I-485, I-765

Oct 24, 2005 AOS Interview, doing my biometric and Fingerprint at the same day after interview

Nov 9, 2005 Receieved my EA card

Feb 2006 Receieved my 2 years conditional resident card

Nov 2007 filed for I-751 to remove conditional resident

Dec 8 2007 Conditional resident status extended for 1 year

Dec 22 2007 ASC appointment on Jan 14 08

Oct 3 2008 Evidence documents request letter received

Dec 17 2008 Request for removal of conditional permanent resident status approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

at the date 90 days prior to your 3 year anniversary of your first greencard is when you can submit your N-400

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

On your GC alongside the photo is some information. The first line is your A# and the last is "Resident Since" alongside which is a date. It is that date from which the three years qualifying time starts providing you meet all the other requirements.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
So don't apply. You're not required to. Stay a PR as long as you like.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

But that ten year card will expire and will have to renewed, more than likely for a zillion dollars and ninety-nine point nine cents. Have to carry it with you at all times, if stolen, mutilated, or lost, another 400 bucks out of your pocket, need to have a foreign passport if you want to travel, for us, it's quite a bit more expensive than a US passport. Then make sure you notify the USCIS within ten days if you move, no opportunity for a government job, and lower SS benefits. So either way, it's going to cost you, but USC is a one time charge.

But that ten year card will expire and will have to renewed, more than likely for a zillion dollars and ninety-nine point nine cents. Have to carry it with you at all times, if stolen, mutilated, or lost, another 400 bucks out of your pocket, need to have a foreign passport if you want to travel, for us, it's quite a bit more expensive than a US passport. Then make sure you notify the USCIS within ten days if you move, no opportunity for a government job, and lower SS benefits. So either way, it's going to cost you, but USC is a one time charge.

Totally agree. The major reason about that is I want to apply for Federal Gov job in the future besides we spent way much more money on renew the card every ten year.

August 2, 2004: I-129F mailed

November 23, 2004 Received Packet from US Consulate HK

December 04, 2004 Request for police report and report sent to US Consulate on 27 December 2004

December 18, 2004 Body check and get result on 7 Jan 2005

January 15, 2005 Sent back the package to US consulate and requested for to schedule for interview

1 February 2005 Interview and approved at the same day YES

March 30, 2005 Fly to US

June 22, 2005 Wedding <3

August 22, 2005 mailed my I-485, I-765

Oct 24, 2005 AOS Interview, doing my biometric and Fingerprint at the same day after interview

Nov 9, 2005 Receieved my EA card

Feb 2006 Receieved my 2 years conditional resident card

Nov 2007 filed for I-751 to remove conditional resident

Dec 8 2007 Conditional resident status extended for 1 year

Dec 22 2007 ASC appointment on Jan 14 08

Oct 3 2008 Evidence documents request letter received

Dec 17 2008 Request for removal of conditional permanent resident status approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Totally agree. The major reason about that is I want to apply for Federal Gov job in the future besides we spent way much more money on renew the card every ten year.

Trying to be optimistic, the fee is still in dollars yet, not billions of dollars. Go crazy when I hear those numbers on the news. Emilio convinced congress to more than double the rates by promising to cut the processing time by a mere ten per cent. Ha, go to your employer and ask him if you increased your productivity by 10% or worked an extra 45 minute a day, if he will double your paycheck. Our government lives in a different dimension, the twilight zone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.