Dr. A ♥ O

3 major cables cut in Mediterranean; Internet, phone traffic disrupted

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This explains why I haven't heard from Waleed today. I guess this time it's more severe and may take several days for repairs.

3 major cables cut in Mediterranean; Internet, phone traffic disrupted

Three of four major underwater cables have been severed in the Mediterranean Sea, seriously disrupting Internet and telephone service between Europe, the Middle East and Asia, Bloomberg reports. The fiber-optic cables handle more than 75% of the traffic between the Mideast, Europe and the United States, and 90% of transmission between Europe and the Mideast.

The BBC reports that 65% of traffic to India is thought to be down, and that Singapore, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Taiwan and Pakistan have also been hit hard, with Egyptian officials saying nearly all Net service is down. Traffic is being rerouted through the United States, and that will likely cause Internet slowdowns or dropped phone calls. Here's an earlier damage report from France Telecom.

It's not yet know what cut the cables between Italy and Tunisia. A similar outage in January was blamed on a ship's anchor off Egypt, and that may be the case again, according to Interoute, a European Internet Service Provider.

The BBC says that some seismic activity was reported near Malta, where the break apparently occurred, shortly before the cut was detected this morning. The U.S. Geological Survey recorded a magnitude 5.9 undersea quake in the Northern Mid-Atlantic, about 1,100 miles northwest of Portugal, but it's not clear whether the two events are connected.

It might be days before the cables can be repaired, and experts are warning that regional economies may be hit hard. The first repair ship is expected to arrive Monday morning.

The cables are known as SMW 3 and SMW 4, which are owned by phone companies, and FLAG, which is owned by Reliance Globalcom.

(Detail of the Reliance Globalcom transmission map for Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia.)

Source: http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/...jor-cables.html

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hubby and I were online when it happened last night. Why couldn't this happen during the week instead of the weekend? :(

I hope they will get fixed soon. It's been incredibly hard to even get through on the phone.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Timeline

Once again there is no connection in Egypt.

its the second time this year . there is something wrong with some cables in Italy i guess.

i hope they will fix it soon.

i pray to GOD to make the time pass so fast till i can be with my queen then we will not be have

to use the internet anymore to talk .

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Your siggie is hilarious Nawal LOLOL! Love it!

Well phone lines aren't the only ones cut here in NA ... water shortage and rations are common ... but as of last week they are rationing electricity too. A city near me, high in foreign population has already been affected. And we got our notice Thursday ... this all just sucks.

But anyway ... hoping everyone gets reconnected soon!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hmm...can't in touch to Morocco too. I wonder. Cause I'm getting messages on MY end here from Verizon saying "call cannot be completed at this time" so the call isn't even connecting over there...

BAH.

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, so I got through, my according to him, his phone indicated my call was coming from the UK. His caller ID identified a UK number, with the UK calling code and everything. No wonder why when I said "Hi Hunny!" he said "........who is this?" :blink:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

ahmed did call on cell but had no internet connection (maybe just his computer prob)

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was having trouble emailing Tom in Bahrain yesterday. His internet at work was totally down but a few emails were getting through.

Filed: Timeline

I wonder what time this happened yesterday? I was trying to call Egypt on my way home from work and at first it was saying "The 900 number you're trying to call can not connect" :unsure: woooot? I'm not trying to call a 900 number. I looked at the phone and double checked it was 201 lol so I started trying again and again and finally it said "calls to this country can not connect at this time, please try your call again later message EA 120" etc

I hope they get this fixed soon. The odd thing is that it does not seem to be affecting Tunisia now. I've been on the phone with them this morning, both land lines and mobile phones and it connected just fine. Hmm.

Timeline

This is the link to the BBC story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7792688.stm

Apparently it could take until the end of the year to fix.

Timeline

The only thing that works where Tom is is Yahoo Messenger at the moment, no skype, no internet. It sucks.

Timeline

the ship that is going to fix those cables will take 2 days and maybe 3 days to fix those cables

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.