Tausif

Get married and leave

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello friends,

I am a regular visitor to this board as it is always informative to spend time here. Now I need some advice on an issue.

My fiancé who is from India had received her Canadian permanent resident card about 2 and half months ago. She would like to come to the U.S on a visitor’s visa, get marry and then she would like to go back to Canada. I have been hearing from different people that it is not advisable to marry while one is in the U.S on a visitor’s visa. I want to know if it will still create issues if she goes back and lives in Canada while I file for her K3 visa petition so she can come back here in a year or so on an immigrant visa. I know K1 visa is another option but as she is studying in Montreal we just thought it would be a better idea to get married and file directly for K3 as both visas take almost same amount of time approximately.

Another Question, is it really hard to get a U.S tourist visa for a recent Canadian PRs?

Thank you in advanced for all your help and advice.

TK

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello friends,

I am a regular visitor to this board as it is always informative to spend time here. Now I need some advice on an issue.

My fiancé who is from India had received her Canadian permanent resident card about 2 and half months ago. She would like to come to the U.S on a visitor’s visa, get marry and then she would like to go back to Canada. I have been hearing from different people that it is not advisable to marry while one is in the U.S on a visitor’s visa. I want to know if it will still create issues if she goes back and lives in Canada while I file for her K3 visa petition so she can come back here in a year or so on an immigrant visa. I know K1 visa is another option but as she is studying in Montreal we just thought it would be a better idea to get married and file directly for K3 as both visas take almost same amount of time approximately.

Another Question, is it really hard to get a U.S tourist visa for a recent Canadian PRs?

TK

As long as she goes back to Canada, marriage is not a problem. A Canadian PR may not need a tourist visa. Check here. http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...rt_information/

K3 is not an immigrant visa. CR1 would be the immigrant visa for a spouse in a marriage of less than two years.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

there will be an expert on board soon :), but I think as long as she goes back home..there wouldnt be any problems.

i dont know about the visitor visa for recent PR's

Good Luck,

Lisa

see? he was typing while i was :lol:

Edited by Y_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This is fine, just be aware the POE can deny entry if they suspect immigrant intent upon entry.

SEE: http://www.visajourney.com/news/2008/09/14...-us-visa-rules/

Note K-1, and K-3 are NON-Immigrant.

If considering K-3 think carefully about it. CR-1 and K-3 tend to take about the same time, K-3 may save you about a month, however the K-3 has the added pain of adjustment of status, and it NOT a work authorized visa, so also has the added period of limbo waiting for EAD to be able to do things like take a job, get SSN, etc...

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

AOS: $1010

($1496)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

In this economy the K-3 in not as atractive, it costs more, and the prospective immigrant cannot take a job until they have EAD, CR-1 gets an instant green-card allowing taking a job soon after entry.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Timeline
Permanent residents (aka landed immigrants) of Canada must have a nonimmigrant visa unless the permanent resident is a national of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meets the VWP requirements, and is seeking to enter the U.S. for 90 days or less under that program.

Looks like she'll have to get a tourist visa in order to visit the US still http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/with...thout_1260.html

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

There have been a lot of discussions on this. Getting married on a visitors visa then returning home to follow through on the immigration process is perfectly legal. Even visiting with no intent to stay, marrying, and staying to file AOS is perfectly acceptable, as long as the couple can show during subsequent AOS that there was no intent to do so (those are the ones who get routinely jumped with the "sure, right, wink wink" comments here on VJ lol). The immigration path that clearly violates the law and immigration regs is to slip in under a visitors visa with intent to get married and stay - which sidesteps the wait which would have resulted from following the legal and correct immigration path.

Hello friends,

TK

i don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.