Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone! What a lively discussion yesterday afternoon and evening!

Hugs for Udella&Wiz and Marilyn..different situations for you both, but I got a squeeze in my heart reading your posts. A big :lol: about the Queen posts as well.

I won't be on-line tomorrow morning for coffee delivery. We've a plumber coming early and he'll be shutting of the water to work on an outside spigot that comes into the house and between the drywall. Hopefully it's not too big of a job. Of course he charges by the hour!

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend! Enjoy your red cupped coffee...Red is my favourite colour!

hot-coffee2.jpg

carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning and thanks for the coffee Carla. Since he is working by the hour, maybe you need to get a big pot of coffee brewing before he arrives :thumbs: Hope it's a small job as well - plumbing can be so expensive!

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Deadpool, you have insulted us! We consider her VERY important and most of us have ties to Britain. Most of my friends do not have any ties to America whatsoever.

Ahem, Your Majesty, you must forgive Deadpool as he knows not what he says. Send her victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Maybe out there in the good ole West where you live you don't notice an influence, but many of us here on this board are god damn Englishwomen and Englishmen.

Do you know how I know this? I' will give you an example. Look at the types of food people put on the dinner table. I came to live in NJ and realized no one ate roast beef dinners and potatoes. No one had Yorkshire puddings or meat pies. These are things many Canadians eat!

:o

Oh oh oh...you know what I mean, Trailmix. I don't hear about a lot of british influence in the province of Alberta. Maybe it's just me but I don't have any family (and I have a large scottish family) who lives out there. Of course, Victoria is filled with British people and British influence.

I guess I really wouldn't know though.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Lot of british influence in the prairies!! Lover my roast beef and yorshire pudding!! Still wouldn't stop to see the Queen though,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Oh oh oh...you know what I mean, Trailmix. I don't hear about a lot of british influence in the province of Alberta. Maybe it's just me but I don't have any family (and I have a large scottish family) who lives out there. Of course, Victoria is filled with British people and British influence.

I guess I really wouldn't know though.

Yeah I know what you mean :lol:

Well, in Calgary, most people aren't from....Calgary - but still, I think Deadpool that we have to realize that Canada as a country is still young and the ties to Great Britian are still very strong.

I agree with krikit that Canadians, in general, have more similarity in tradition and mannerisms with people from the United Kingdom rather than Americans. Using Calgary as an example, Calgary's first European settler (an Irishman) arrived there in 1873 - not that long ago in the great scheme of world history.

While some of those same ancestors were hopping off the ship at around the same time in NY - I find it quite fascinating that the traditions and beliefs between Canada and the U.S. can be quite different.

As for the Monarchy, well I personally don't think it's that important - however - Canada is part of a group of Commonwealth countries (just thinking - you don't hear much about 'the commonwealth' anymore) and while the Queen may not have a direct hand in the running of the commonwealth countries where she is the head - it's still another tie that binds us not only to Britain - but to our Brothers and Sisters in other commonwealth countries.

Good morning and thanks for the coffee Carla. Since he is working by the hour, maybe you need to get a big pot of coffee brewing before he arrives :thumbs: Hope it's a small job as well - plumbing can be so expensive!

Yes, a big pot of coffee, and a shower!! :lol: Hopefully he won't have the water off that long.

So, did you make it out to any of those houses yet?

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
As for the Monarchy, well I personally don't think it's that important - however - Canada is part of a group of Commonwealth countries (just thinking - you don't hear much about 'the commonwealth' anymore) and while the Queen may not have a direct hand in the running of the commonwealth countries where she is the head - it's still another tie that binds us not only to Britain - but to our Brothers and Sisters in other commonwealth countries.

Amen.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Yes, a big pot of coffee, and a shower!! :lol: Hopefully he won't have the water off that long.

We have seen 3 so far. It's stressful and yet interesting looking at houses - actually looking at the houses isn't stressful - it's the decision making process after! Saw this really interesting house last week - it was a total throw back to the 50's - complete with the original carpet I believe (seriously!). But it was just funny, it really made me think of my Grandparents. It even had a big TV antenna coming up from the ground over the roof.

Oh and it was funny, when we arrived - alone - Mike had viewed it the previous day with the realtor - so we were just peeking in windows - there was a guy across the street standing there with his dog, kind of looking at us and a few houses down there was a family out doing something with their truck and for some reason it was all very twilight zoneish - with the 50's house and - well anyway - it was funny.

Anyhoo, saw another cute house here in Lake Mary a couple of days ago - but it was really too small. The funny thing is - it is about to be foreclosed and 'surfer dude' friend of the owners is staying there while it is being sold. He apparently decided to paint the place and he sponged two of the rooms - it was pretty awful and yet funny at the same time.

There is another one I want to look at today here in Lake Mary, just waiting to hear back from the realtor right now.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I hope you have some luck, Traily. I enjoyed looking at the houses! It was fun to see what you could make of something. And you get to see some funny houses along the way.

We saw a house that a lesbian couple owned. We went to go see it and they were doing laundry while the Realtor was showing the house. They had a bunch of pets and it RANK of poop. Any way, one of the ladies was the dominant one in the relationship (if ya know what I mean) and was a little scary. The Realtor was horrified! The house was in awful condition and it's not like it was cheap. He figured that they were making noise and during laundry while we were looking at the house because they didn't want to move but were being forced to by not being able to make the payments. It was pretty funny.

My eyes filled with grit

We have seen 3 so far. It's stressful and yet interesting looking at houses - actually looking at the houses isn't stressful - it's the decision making process after! Saw this really interesting house last week - it was a total throw back to the 50's - complete with the original carpet I believe (seriously!). But it was just funny, it really made me think of my Grandparents. It even had a big TV antenna coming up from the ground over the roof.

Oh and it was funny, when we arrived - alone - Mike had viewed it the previous day with the realtor - so we were just peeking in windows - there was a guy across the street standing there with his dog, kind of looking at us and a few houses down there was a family out doing something with their truck and for some reason it was all very twilight zoneish - with the 50's house and - well anyway - it was funny.Anyhoo, saw another cute house here in Lake Mary a couple of days ago - but it was really too small. The funny thing is - it is about to be foreclosed and 'surfer dude' friend of the owners is staying there while it is being sold. He apparently decided to paint the place and he sponged two of the rooms - it was pretty awful and yet funny at the same time.

There is another one I want to look at today here in Lake Mary, just waiting to hear back from the realtor right now.

I don't remember when the last time I had the opportunity to view houses! Maybe 20 years ago? Of course on occassion I would go with a girlfriend, but I love looking at houses. It can be stressful, yes, having to make decisions. The more you go to though, the more you'll be able to scratch ones off your list, those you know you just couldn't live in.

I think the part I highlighted must be something that you had to experience eh? :lol:;)

Keep us up to date on your progress! This is exciting!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

Good luck on the househunting, Trailmix. I know by the time I'd finished I didn't want to see another home. You sure do see some interesting stuff, though. A lot of the time I'd just stand there looking around going "wow". And not in a good way. lol

Good luck with the plumbing, Carla! I have experience with plumbing. It costs a lot less to call them sooner than later. dry.gif

Do you know how I know this? I' will give you an example. Look at the types of food people put on the dinner table. I came to live in NJ and realized no one ate roast beef dinners and potatoes. No one had Yorkshire puddings or meat pies. These are things many Canadians eat!

Ah, yes. The tried and true Yorkshire pudding test! Always a good indicator. lol

Deadpool, you have insulted us! We consider her VERY important and most of us have ties to Britain. Most of my friends do not have any ties to America whatsoever.

I really don't see how my outlook on this matter is, in any way, insulting. If nothing else, I consider myself standing up for the rights of Canadians. Why should the UK have any input in Canadian affairs? Canada is its own nation, with its own laws and people. Canadians are not "British subjects" but citizens of their own country. They answer to Canada and Canada only. Maybe some traditions from the UK are popular, but tradition and governing power are two very different things.

Well, to be fair, the insult was not taken against your remark about the Queen.... the insult was because you said Canadians were more like Americans than the British. :lol:

yeah, I know.. I really appreciate them doing that for us...

the place seems so empty now that they are gone :(

(((((((((((((Marilyn))))))))))))))))))

I know how that feels. I went into a deep dark depression when my daughter and my cousin left. I withdrew from the world for days. It was awful. Hope you're feeling better today. (F)

I knew my mom came down here for a reason.

I have sooo much to think about right now.

Did she make you an offer that's difficult to refuse?

I think the part I highlighted must be something that you had to experience eh? :lol:;)

I thought that highlighted part was hilarious. I would have been howling. :lol:

iagree.gif

Happy house-hunting Trailmix!

Isn't Florida the best place to buy right now?

Cheap cheap, cheap...well you can certainly find very cheap in Miami!

Do stay away from The Twilight Zone however.

:lol:

Hello Every-One!

I hope you are all well in your worlds.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

Hi there spirit!

Thanks for all the happy thoughts about house hunting you guys :)

You know it's funny, before we arrived here I thought - oooo lots of shopping to be done in the U.S. - in fact Mike and I took a trip to Montana once just for shopping. So I have these particular undies that I like - I can find nothing similar here - so yes - I ordered underwear from Canada - it arrived the other day :lol:

Timeline
So I have these particular undies that I like - I can find nothing similar here - so yes - I ordered underwear from Canada - it arrived the other day :lol:

:lol:

I will only buy underwear from lasenza.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

On one of my first trips back to canada after moving here---I had a FULL suitcase of toilet paper!! lol At the time, anyone that went to DC went to a separate line and they opened up ur suitcases!! The security gal had a good laugh at my full suitcase full of TP!! What kind i say, I'm picky,lol Thank god Costco suffices my TP fetish,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.