Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

the family visit is going good.. they leave tomorrow...

have plans to go shopping today, I think...

yesterday we went to Olvera St, this cute little Mexican street and then we went to Santa Monica...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
It's funny, just reading the girly thread and the ban on bikini waxes in NJ.

What is funny is how everything has a warning on it now, was reading that thread and thinking about how every window in this house has a warning sticker on it that opening a window can be dangerous!

So while getting cereal just now I wondered if they have a warning on Soy Milk - sure enough - 'not to be used as infant formula' :lol:

My favorite warning sticker of all time reads: "Do not use hair dryer while asleep in bathtub." :blink:

I'm not even sure how that would work, but apparently, someone has tried it before. Of course... I bet someone's tried cleaning their ears out with a drill, too.

Filed: Timeline

That bathtub hairdryer warning label is funny. Where I live there is a park with an alligator habitat. There are two warning signs which read something to the effect of "It is unlawful to entice the alligators" and another which says "Do not molest the alligators". Now, you know at some point there had to be someone who has molested and/or enticed the alligators in order for them to make it a law and post a sign. :blink:

My friend took a picture of me pulling up my pants leg underneath the "Do not entice the alligators" sign. lol

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

mmmm it is a beautiful day here too.. cool, but sunny! HOw do I know?? I took my workout outside this morning. Ran/walked for 25 min now that the weather is nice, no need to be inside is there? :dance:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

pretty warm here too, carla. i guess it's spring time.

is anyone else seeing a face in the coffee cup this morning? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Beautiful coffee today Carla, thanks and good morning!

You mean this face Charles?

Hot-Coffee1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just looking at a house inspection firms 'bloopers and blunders' page and it made me realize why they have to put warnings on everything - this person has an uncovered light bulb in a shower - but as a topper they put a switch in there as well :lol:

blooper_pic11.jpg

Timeline

So two new members just came in to my work, they're from CANADA! Part of the TD bank executives who are all now moving down to the area. They're from the West end of Toronto. Its so funny, they were kind of stiff walking in but as soon as I mentioned that I was a Canadian too, they just relaxed and started asking me about all the area.

I tried to focus on the good and was trying to choose my words carefully but it was hard! They didn't want to know the good stuff they just wanted to hear the bad details. :P

The ladies daughter is 17 and was asking about schools because her poor daughter is going to do her grade 12 down here and I told her that she would be fine. I don't want to offend anyone *cough*DPX*cough* (;)) but I feel that the schools in Canada better prepare someone than the schools down here and when asked if they're easier or more difficult I replied with easier. But again it's my opinion. :P

Its just comforting seeing a Canadian. It's like how Jill, Amanda and I knocked on the car of these guys in Philly all because their plates said Ontario. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Its just comforting seeing a Canadian. It's like how Jill, Amanda and I knocked on the car of these guys in Philly all because their plates said Ontario. :D

A little awkward for them but SO good for us! :lol:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Timeline

No. :unsure:

Ok - I thought this was pretty well done -

http://thru-you.com/#

Yikes! My computer started going crazy when I linked to that. Still going. :(

Just looking at a house inspection firms 'bloopers and blunders' page and it made me realize why they have to put warnings on everything - this person has an uncovered light bulb in a shower - but as a topper they put a switch in there as well :lol:

That link is scary. :o:lol:

So two new members just came in to my work, they're from CANADA! Part of the TD bank executives who are all now moving down to the area. They're from the West end of Toronto. Its so funny, they were kind of stiff walking in but as soon as I mentioned that I was a Canadian too, they just relaxed and started asking me about all the area.

That's cool! I haven't met any Canadians here. Oh wait. I met one guy from Windsor but he seemed to be really standoffish. More like an American than a Canadian. :hehe:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!!!! I love my American friends!!!!!

:lol:

They're nicer than he was, that's for sure.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

I tried to focus on the good and was trying to choose my words carefully but it was hard! They didn't want to know the good stuff they just wanted to hear the bad details. :P

The ladies daughter is 17 and was asking about schools because her poor daughter is going to do her grade 12 down here and I told her that she would be fine. I don't want to offend anyone *cough*DPX*cough* (;)) but I feel that the schools in Canada better prepare someone than the schools down here and when asked if they're easier or more difficult I replied with easier. But again it's my opinion. :P

Sorry - not to be negative, but my daughter has had a horrible experience since moving here (last year a grade 10/11)and it has a LOT to do with school. i think it's pretty easy for anyone (even me, because I assumed it would be fine too) to assume that moving here and fitting into the classes would be easy.

IF you're a good student, you will probably struggle through - but seriously I wouldn't tell anyone it's going to be easy or simple...being educated in canada does not prepare us any better to fit into school here. For example - when was the last time you took Virginia history or did imperial measurements for Science and Math? The culture is different as well...it all plays a part

My daughter has been screwed more by the fact that she came from a smaller (1500) Arts oriented school in Kitchener into a massive (3600) 'Sports are God/ Academics are all that matters' school. They did not do a great job of helping a foreign student integrate - if she hadn't spoken english, at least they would have put her in special classes. Socially she is an ok kid and has friends of all sorts, school wise she failed most of last year (you may have read my saga elsewhere) and continues to have problems - not everything is the school's fault, but much is

Hmm - hopefully I haven't offended anyone by my rant - which probably belongs to the Vent thread now

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Sorry - not to be negative, but my daughter has had a horrible experience since moving here (last year a grade 10/11)and it has a LOT to do with school. i think it's pretty easy for anyone (even me, because I assumed it would be fine too) to assume that moving here and fitting into the classes would be easy.

IF you're a good student, you will probably struggle through - but seriously I wouldn't tell anyone it's going to be easy or simple...being educated in canada does not prepare us any better to fit into school here. For example - when was the last time you took Virginia history or did imperial measurements for Science and Math? The culture is different as well...it all plays a part

My daughter has been screwed more by the fact that she came from a smaller (1500) Arts oriented school in Kitchener into a massive (3600) 'Sports are God/ Academics are all that matters' school. They did not do a great job of helping a foreign student integrate - if she hadn't spoken english, at least they would have put her in special classes. Socially she is an ok kid and has friends of all sorts, school wise she failed most of last year (you may have read my saga elsewhere) and continues to have problems - not everything is the school's fault, but much is

Hmm - hopefully I haven't offended anyone by my rant - which probably belongs to the Vent thread now

No she meant the work load, from what I have seen and from what I have heard the school in the area isn't any heavier than the school she is coming from.

I too have a child who had to repeat grade 3 because the school gave him a hard time about being so young. I understand what you mean, and I guess I should have explained myself. I meant that I don't think the world load is going to be harder than the school the girl is coming from. Adjusting, and doing all of that stuff... yes its hard.

I post from work people... I am not very thorough in my explanations even though I should be. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.